CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Capital Quarter Skyline

Maybe bmx-ers and skateboarders will like it

I live in Ty Pont so was interested to see this discussion. I have watched the Number 1 building go from foundations to finally being near-completion. Wish they'd hurry up and build the bridge, it's really inconvenient having to walk all the way round if you want to get to the Bay etc.
This is the building back in September 2013. (ladybird photobombed)

And below is a photo from today, 14th March 2014, which proves just how slow progress is.
They just painted on the car park lines and started landscaping. You might notice the footbridge is now missing..

Great! Will be good to see if you can get any photos of the bridge being constructed. Would be nice to see.

Nice one typontresident - great photos, oh and welcome to the forum

I tell you what, they can say what they want about Ty Pont but I wouldn't mind that view!!

took this pic today of bridge progress - ie not a lot!

mind you maybe it's the kind of consruction that will just kind of appear overnight?

The full text from this article has been posted on another thread, but I thought I'd put the link here as well seeing as this is the most relevant place for it.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/strong-interest-welsh-governments-speculative-6873146

In terms of number 1 being occupied it sounds like there's about to be some positive news with 70% of space being under offer apparently.

From what is in the article it seems that Finance Wales are taking some space, plus two other private sector tenants, one being an I.T. company (not quite fitting in with the purpose of the enterprise zone I know).

In addition it sounds like a student housing provider and a hotel operator are about to sign up for the scheme.

It all sounds like good news for the Capital Quarter scheme.

The identity of the I.T. company locating to Number 1 has been revealed today

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/fast-expanding-cloud-computing-security-solutions-7038497

Such jobs are always welcome, and it's nice to see a new entrant into the I.T. market in the area. Selfishly some more I.T. jobs in the city centre suits me

I'm curious about the Enterprise Zone purpose though. The 'professional services' part of the zone name clearly covers anything and there's never been any comment previously that it was to include I.T., which is a bloody wide sector in it's own right.

Really good news

Not all good news, it was stated on wales today tonight that another US company

DRIAS Transnat that was set up to create up to 50 jobs at new Cardiff office in 2012. Are not coming,after all, it did not give a reason why.

which shows the hyperbole around these deals, attracting a hundred jobs and then not coming is hardly good news, its all hyperbole

http://www.investincardiff.com/latest-news/2012/2/20/call-centre-firm-conduit-creates-600-jobs-in-cardiff-a1717

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-wales-south-east-wales-17035810

need to watch wales today from tonight 8 to 11 mins for story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b041d2pw/BBC_Wales_Today_28_04_2014/

No News
Not all good news, it was stated on wales today tonight that another US company

DRIAS Transnat that was set up to create up to 50 jobs at new Cardiff office in 2012. Are not coming,after all, it did not give a reason why.

which shows the hyperbole around these deals, attracting a hundred jobs and then not coming is hardly good news, its all hyperbole

http://www.investincardiff.com/latest-news/2012/2/20/call-centre-firm-conduit-creates-600-jobs-in-cardiff-a1717

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-wales-south-east-wales-17035810

need to watch wales today from tonight 8 to 11 mins for story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b041d2pw/BBC_Wales_Today_28_04_2014/

That's a different company though, you can't assume the same thing will happen with this company. The jobs don't exist until people are employed in them and I don't think anyone assumes any different. Companies have plans that sometimes don't materialise for a whole variety of reasons, sometimes sinister but generally genuine.

What I would hope is that any government money that has been handed over to them is claimed back. I would hope, probably naively so, that there are mechanisms in place to do this and if there isn't there should be.

In addition to my comment above, since yesterday's announcement they've gone from no adverts on their website for Cardiff to a dozen already. So that's a good start considering in year 1 they are only forecasting 50 roles.

https://www.alertlogic.com/about-us/careers/

They may not reach their target of 120 odd jobs but it's a good start.

Alex
Personally I am a little disappointed the previous glass needle scheme hasn't seen the light of day, mainly because of the prominence the height that project (30 storeys) would have brought to the city centre skyline. I would have rather seen a taller development 20 storeys or more. I am a strong advocate of tall buildings in the right places which I believe bring added prestige to the city and its general image to investors etc. Cardiff kind of missed out on some of these developments due to the onset of the last recession and as a pro-cardiff patriot I am a little narked that Swansea, Wales' second city still has the tallest building in Wales! We need an impressive skyline to stand comparison with some of the major English cities and those we are hoping to compete with in Europe to attract important investment and the right kind of settlers. The likes of Mancherster, Birmingham and dare I say, Bristol have stolen a march on us in the skyline stakes and we have some catching up to do.

Alex, while I agree with you regarding the height of schemes in Cardiff you appear to be discussing Capital Square rather than Capital Quarter, which is a different thread.

That's one of the things that annoys me, why are they calling the current Central Square area Capital Square when there's a similarly named Capital Quarter on Tyndall Street.

WalesOnline is reporting that all of the space in 1 Capital Quarter is at the heads of terms stage (ie under firm offer). Sounds like good news. Also reports Cardiff has made top 10 markets in uk for spec development. Also a good showing as London is probably 4 markets (city, west end, midtown - the silly americanised name for holborn and environs - and docklands). Be good to see further lettings progress and the bbc's final decision.

as it is quite fun heading down the spiral

so I hope we don't see any silly 'anti-youth' additions making it less accessible

Jantra
Good news kyle. My only comment relates to the gallery picture 6 of 8. It looks like central capital square is being built in a forest

Indeed, there are trees actually on platform 0 of the station in that pic, pretty much on the track.

Pile driving going on right now. Not the ideal day to be sat at home having to listen to it!

ewrt
Pile driving going on right now. Not the ideal day to be sat at home having to listen to it!

Is that on the Number 2 plot (i.e. in front of the new Number 1 office) ?

Thanks for posting the picture.

It's definitely Number 2 Capital Quarter. So they've finally made a start.

Great news.

There is scope for a station at Capital Quarter, maybe on a Newport to Central line. Once up and running it could host a fair number of people so it could be part of an Eastern metro line with further stops at Pengam Green, Rumney etc

There could even potentially be two stations; a high level station on the Queen Street to Central line that would be very useful for university students going to the nearby Atrium campus, as well as for commuters to Capital Quarter that live north of the city centre, and a low level station on the Central to Newport line which would be good for commuters that live outside of Cardiff.

Sort of like Heath Low level and Heath High Level, but it could act like an interchange station with a direct path connecting the two.

(Though perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself )

Alex
There could even potentially be two stations; a high level station on the Queen Street to Central line that would be very useful for university students going to the nearby Atrium campus, as well as for commuters to Capital Quarter that live north of the city centre, and a low level station on the Central to Newport line which would be good for commuters that live outside of Cardiff.

Sort of like Heath Low level and Heath High Level, but it could act like an interchange station with a direct path connecting the two.

(Though perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself )

Cardiff and Wales doesnt have a pot to pis in and you are talking about split level train station less than 500 yards from two other major interchanges

There has been mention of a Callaghan Sq metro station, basically where John Street is (and where that warehouse was quietly demolished not so long ago). It is not impossible to think that this could straddle the bay line and bridge the canal to also serve Capital Quarter.

It's not clear to me exactly how this proposed station would work. I imagine it would involve some reconfiguration of the junction, as it will cost £44m according to the article below. Work starting in 4-5 years time, if we are to believe the hype. That's about the same price as the new Admiral building, so it is no small undertaking.

My completely unfounded speculation is that the council will build their all new fancy head office on this site once they have sold off the existing plot on the bay, building the new Callaghan Square metro station underneath it, possibly straddling the reconfigured bay line with a frontage onto the canal facing Capital Quarter, thereby giving access to the new station from Capital Quarter over a canal bridge and better linking Capital Quarter and Callaghan Sq as a continuous district. At least that's what I guessed Goodway wanted in the previous council. It's not a bad idea if the sums add up.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/south-wales-metro-system-first-6718872

Hey, if I had my way we would have sub-surface metro lines going under the city centre:

A line under Queen Street & Newport Road then down Cowbridge Rd, and a line under Working St (connected to Cardiff Central) then up North Rd, with a nice little underground interchange station by the castle. (With few other smaller stations dotted around) The Tyne and Wear metro has underground bits, why can't the South Wales metro have some as well?

(And... I guess I've just used up the Welsh Government's entire budget with that )

Jantra

Cardiff and Wales doesnt have a pot to pis in and you are talking about split level train station less than 500 yards from two other major interchanges

I thought this also, then I looked at whitchurch, rhiwbina, coryton, birchgrove etc and thought again....

Matt
Jantra

I thought this also, then I looked at whitchurch, rhiwbina, coryton, birchgrove etc and thought again....

just for clarification purposes, which of the aforementioned stations are major interchanges?

Jantra
Matt
Jantra

just for clarification purposes, which of the aforementioned stations are major interchanges?

All of them!!

Haha, fair enough, I didnt read thru' properly, but I see the proximity is the bigger issue rather than the type of station it is next to.

Jantra
Alex

(Though perhaps I\'m getting ahead of myself )

I take your point but the road system is at breaking point, we have to find and fund means to get people out of their cars and onto public transport.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM