CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: minority sports

Rhodri, that's a fair point about Wales' record against southern hemisphere teams. Wales haven't beaten New Zealand since 1953, only ever beaten South Africa once, and last win against Australia was in 2008. As Jantra pointed out, Wales play all 3 in the autumn so a chance put a dent in those records.

I like Rugby enjoy watching it prefer football tbh I grew up prefering rugby had no interest in football at all. What really gets me about Rugby in Wales is not the actual sport but the bloody cultural myth surrounding the whole thing the idea that coming up to an international there are "3 million selectors in Wales" and that the Welsh "eat,sleep and live rugby"( these are things i've heard people say on TV) when in fact more people go watch the bluebirds on one saturday afternoon then watch all four regions put together in one week. Theres this saying that the millenium stadium has a "cauldron atmosphere" when Wales play rugby there but I went to Wales v Italy this year and it was like a bloody library in there they only sing when their winning unlike football. Most of the fans only come down for a day out and dont know anything about the players or the rules they are just there for a piss up and I dont need to say much about the sparkly cowboy and daffodil hats do I? I dont want the world to think we are all a bunch of fatties from the valleys I went into a bar on grayfriars road this year to watch Wales V France and see what the atmosphere in town on a grand slam day ( are we bored of winning that now? ) never again.

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Welsh rugby team on being 6th in the world... In which only 10 countries give a reasonable toss about, with that Top 10 including tiny Pacific islands and of the top 3 of this global giant of a sport, only the private school chaps in Oz (where it is the 4th biggest football code) and whites in South Africa care whilst New Zealand is too busy kidnapping/raping the aforementioned Pacific Islands of their young talent get a team together. Rah rah rah. Rugby 'WORLD' Cup, you having a laugh or are eggchasers shite at geography?

Commuter87
I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Welsh rugby team on being 6th in the world... In which only 10 countries give a reasonable toss about, with that Top 10 including tiny Pacific islands and of the top 3 of this global giant of a sport, only the private school chaps in Oz (where it is the 4th biggest football code) and whites in South Africa care whilst New Zealand is too busy kidnapping/raping the aforementioned Pacific Islands of their young talent get a team together. Rah rah rah. Rugby 'WORLD' Cup, you having a laugh or are eggchasers shite at geography?

Chill out. You can level the world-rankings-are-rubbish at most sports. You can level only-a-few-countries play sport x too. Bear in mind four of the Top 10 soccer teams haven't got out of their pools. Rankings are only indicative until a World Cup, in any team sport.

Rhodri
More people watch/play football than rugby in Wales.
Oceania is a nightclub.
Wales cannot beat almost anyone on 'our day' or anyone else's

While you are quite right that more people play and watch football than rugby in Wales the sad truth is that the majority of those, despite the relative success of Swansea and Cardiff City, are watching English football, listening to commentary about English football, reading about English football or discussing English football and their foreign players. Very small numbers really participate in or talk about Welsh football or any Welsh sport.

Even though Cardiff and Swansea can get 25,000 for each home game, they are not different individuals in each game, the same people go to several games a year.

The sofa still wins hands down.

Jeremy
Rhodri
More people watch/play football than rugby in Wales.
Oceania is a nightclub.
Wales cannot beat almost anyone on \'our day\' or anyone else\'s

While you are quite right that more people play and watch football than rugby in Wales the sad truth is that the majority of those, despite the relative success of Swansea and Cardiff City, are watching English football, listening to commentary about English football, reading about English football or discussing English football and their foreign players. Very small numbers really participate in or talk about Welsh football or any Welsh sport.

Even though Cardiff and Swansea can get 25,000 for each home game, they are not different individuals in each game, the same people go to several games a year.

The sofa still wins hands down.

in order of popularity

1. drinking
2. watching the premier league from the armchair
3. club football
4. Rugby Internationals
5. Football internationals
6. club rugby
7. cricket
8. ice hockey

Welsh rugby culture is the scourge of our society it has completely gobbled up Welsh people's expression of national identity and their attention to their own country if only they would pay a 10th as much attention to our levels of poverty, terrible education system and our the corrupt clique of Labour boyos who run Wales.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM