CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
is this true ? if so, shocking

I heard today that Cardiff has a ban on very tall buildings in the city centre over 300ft. If this os true then how can Cardiff ever have that international feel.

Re: is this true ? if so, shocking

I would imagine that a complete ban would come from the CAA, but then again Wenvoe/St Hilary are 800+ Ft and are much closer to CWl/St Athan.
I doubt Councils have a clause in their planning guidelines saying if building is >/= 300ft then oppose!
More likely, does the building fit in with the rest of the sky-line. Cardiff still is a pretty low rise city. 15-20 storey max, so is this where your ban comes from?
Where did you get this from?

For those old enough to remember a building proposed in the city centre, name of the glass needle! This was over 300ft and never got above a cable 30ft down!! Anyway the issue in this building not being constructed had zilch to do with its height. I dont know but cant imagine that any such policy of height restriction is in place - it may seem that way but i guess the reality is that the ambition and dosh to do something a little tall and special doesnt seem to exist. I for one hope that this changes soon when a number of developments get underway that may alert interest in something 300ft+

Mike Green
I heard today that Cardiff has a ban on very tall buildings in the city centre over 300ft. If this os true then how can Cardiff ever have that international feel.

Pretty sure that having buildings over 300ft isn't necessary for a city gaining an international feel. That is a very parochial notion if anything.

In Washington DC the limit is 10 storeys I believe. That's an international city I would say.

Anyway 300 feet is about 30 floors which is pretty high.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jun/30/urbanists-guide-to-cardiff-sociable-city

"Generally speaking, the worst buildings in Cardiff are all the horrible new-build flats that are everywhere across the city. Century Wharf in the bay is a particular eyesore, especially the inland side of it that’s become covered in moss and damp. When you see the beautiful old buildings that used be in the bay, then it’s really apparent how terrible most of Cardiff’s architecture is. You go to cities like Bath, which have an aesthetic and all new buildings have to stick to that. There’s nothing remotely similar in Cardiff, apart from no new high rise can be built in the centre to preserve the ‘skyline’."

The dimwitted culprit, I believe.

I don't think that this is true..

300ft is 91 metres.

Sounds a bit unusual. 300ft would be roughly the height of the current max in Cardiff I would have thought. I\'m not a fan of height for it\'s own sake. Some people seemed to think the Admiral building would have been better if it was taller and narrower. I think it\'s fine as it is. Forget this \'international feel\' guff. Build what is necessary. If someone had a plan for 400ft and it looked okay I wouldn\'t have a problem. 50/60 storey in Cardiff would seem unnecessary.

You can find the Council's Tall Buildings Supplementary Planning Guidance on this page and there's no mention of such a policy.

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Planning/Planning-Policy/Supplementary-Planning-Guidance/Pages/Supplementary-Planning-Guidance.aspx

If there is such a policy as mentioned in the opening post, I've never heard of it.

Well, there you go. If Barden hasn't heard of it, it can't be true!

I remember hearing the same thing many years ago i think late 90's around the turn of the millennium. Maybe it was a policy never implemented or from further in the past.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM