Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear suspension bottoming

How do I cure the rear suspension bottoming when I carry a passenger ? Austin 7 Cambridge special (Bill Williams)

Re: Rear suspension bottoming

WEIGHT WATCHERS?

If it's got flat "Softride" rear springs fitted I'd suggest getting rid of them and fitting new EA. Available from Mr. Dunford.

As a short term solution I cut some wedges from Oak to slip under the rear spring where it goes into the chassis. You can't get much in there but I seem to have made the car rise a couple of inches. I seem to recall the ratio of thickness-to-rise is about 5:1.

Henry Harris
If it's got flat "Softride" rear springs fitted I'd suggest getting rid of them and fitting new EA. Available from Mr. Dunford.

Might be worth looking at springs made for the Nippy -- six leaves and 2.5 inch camber. Available from Ian Dunford.

On a lighter note, don't fill your tank up. If memory serves it will take around 15 gallons.

Charles

Thanks for your recommendations Mr's Harris and Levien.
I have both two and a half inch and six and a half inch springs in stock today.

Not trying to do the Illustrious Ian out of a business opportunity, but Alex - if you go fast enough and hit enough selected bumps, your passenger should be airborne most of the time and thus save you from buying new springs? Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with my own Cambridge Special.

When I push down on the back end of the car the body obviously drops but fails to return to the same or similar level.

Is this a spring issue or damper issue?

I'm thinking about servicing the dampers as a matter of course. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt

I still have some Sports springs in stock if required.

I once re-set a pair of large semi-elliptical springs using a block of hardwood and a ******* big hammer. Arms and shoulders ached for days, but the end result was good. Just mentioning this, not really recommending it!