Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ice racer

This pic recently appeared on Facebook.

Where was the event taking place?

The car appears to be Austin built rather than Dixi and has an unusually large fuel tank but with a long bonnet.

Re: Ice racer

Fab!

Tom Abernethy took his Cup onto the frozen surface of the Lake of Menteith a few years back...

https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com/2015/12/18/festive-cup-model-on-a-frozen-lake-of-monteith/

Henry, I am pretty sure that is Walter Baumer's works supported car. Pity one can't see the handbrake to confirm.
My guess at the moment is Eibsee Eisrennen and perhaps 1933? Happy to be corrected!
Regards,Stuart

A quick Google for 'Eibsee Eisrennen' gives us this image from BMW's archive, 1933..

'Bobby Kohlrausch mit seinem BMW "Wartburg" beim Eibsee Eisrennen 1933'

The leading car is a Wartburg, but the following car is an Austin.

Also this gem, 1934...

'Speed contest between car and airplane on the Eibsee / Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Mr. von Morgen on Bugatti has won the speed comparison between car and airplane. The plane, which was operated by Udet, could not reach the targets (presets?). The car had to cover 8 rounds, the plane 14 rounds. Von Morgen was winner of the car-race, too. He set a new track record with an average speed of 122,6 km/h. Our picture shows a moment of the race: car against airplane.'

The other possible venue is Titisee in the Black Forest. Eibsee sprang into my mind because of the vivid description in Lurani's "Racing Round The World", which contains useful tips on what to do if the ice creaks (don't worry) or is silent (it has become stress relieved - guess why. Leave immediately!).
A pity one cannot see more of the background in the photo; the Eibsee hotel was very characteristic.
The date would be similar in either case, the two events usually ran within a fortnight of each other.

Regards,
Stuart

Can't get at my photos just at the moment, but in the 1980s we used to test cars on frozen ice lakes. They used to park a heavy vehicle like a bulldozer on the ice and when it fell through the ice was judged to be too thin.