Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 saloon type RN, registered GY2791 - Is it out there somewhere?

This was my wifes 1st car in the mid 1960’s.
It started us on old cars as a regular means of transport & we used to use the 7 for runs from near High Wycombe (where our families lived & where we bought the car for £100) to Liverpool where I was a marine engineer cadet & my wife was a trainee OT.
The car went after a couple of years & more speedy vehicles followed until we settled to pre-selecting daimlers, Morris 1000 & P4 rovers for everyday transport interspersed with a few 2 seaters of various ages (T type MG, frogeyes).
I recollect we bought the car from, I think, a Richard Smith of Goodchilds Garage, Lane End who lived at Bledlow Ridge (his uncle had a later bodied WO Bentley)who replaced it with an M type MG.
My enduring memory is of the growl the car gave when I retarded the ignition on hills as the engine settled “into the collar” so to speak!
And of trundling down the M6 hard shoulder to avoid the heavies with a huge bunch of flowers in the passenger footwell, windscreen open and 35mph on the clock.
And of menacing kids demanding 2/- to “look after the car” in Liverpool side streets.
Margaret swapped the car for a Standard 10 in Liverpool around 1967 when the clutch went (I was away at sea).
I have tried via the national database to locate the car, without success. But it still shows up on the DVLA vehicle enquiry. I wondered if it was known to anyone? If so please feel free to contact us, either by e-mail or 01455290714 landline.

Re: Austin 7 saloon type RN, registered GY2791 - Is it out there somewhere?

Joe,

Well it is on the A7CA Chassis Register as a blue RN Saloon said to be owned by a member of the Pre War Austin 7 Club (PWA7C). However it doesn't show up on mycarcheck and DVLA show it as untaxed (in a red box) since 1st November 1992, suggesting it was taxed up until 31st October 1992. It doesn't currently require being SORN'd as SORN wasn't introduced until 31st January 1998.

The chances are it's still stored in someones garage either under or awaiting restoration, unless it's been sold abroad, which is another possibility.

You could contact the the PWA7C to see if it's still owned by one of their members and ask they'd forward a request from yourself for the owner to get in touch.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England