Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Front Bumper

Hi All
I have just taken ownership of a 1936 Ruby, can anyone assist with the spec for the front bumper and support brackets I have the blade but not any info on how it fits to the car,
I am sure I will have further questions as my ownership continues
Many thank

Re: Front Bumper

As I remember there is an extension piece bolted to the chassis - the holes should be obvious - with curved arms (rivetted?) to it, the whole thing making a Y shape.

There should be plenty about, I am surprised you have had no offers yet.

Simon

Thinking it over, the brackets must come off the wing/body join, rather than the actual chassis.

I think they are on the chassis at the rear.

S

Hi Adrian, the front bumper bolts directly to two "Y" shaped irons which it seems you are missing, these in turn are bolted to an iron bracket which I think is referred to as cow the cow horn which then fits directly onto the front end of the chassis.

Unfortunately I cannot attach stuff to this system (I realise this is probably my own lack of knowledge) but I will email you direct with a scan from the Austin Source book and from a copy of the original parts list.

Best regards
Denis S

If your Ruby was not a deluxe model it would probably
not have had bumpers when new.

Hi Adrian
If your model was originally fitted with a bumper, it would have a horseshoe bracket fitted to the front of the chassis in front of the front leaf spring. From there the 'Y' shaped irons extend forward to the bumper blade. The irons are clamped by the horseshoe bracket lugs. It is an area that benefits from some redesign, as the front bumper on Ruby saloons/tourers invariably droops on one side or the other in original form.

A7 Components can supply the bracket part no. 1A5374

Hope this is of some clarification. I've given up in disgust trying to add images through photobucket, so will endeavour to send you a PM with an attached image of what I have on my Ruby.

Bob

Adrian , sent a pm . Y bracket