Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Crumbling Chummy...

After a (soggy) tour of the Outer Hebrides we are back and I can get on with the Chummy again.

When I pulled it out of the garage I was very disappointed in the finish, it was like this, all over:

photo DSC_0298_zpscev0vo5h.jpg

I tried polishing it out but without luck so turned to a local friend who took the time to show me how to flatten it with an orbital sander using various fine discs, then use a large polisher and increasingly fine pastes to polish it up to a glass finish. It was quite time consuming but very satisfying and I am delighted with the result, well worth the outlay for the equipment needed and the time.

Flattening down (you can really se how lumpy the paint was in this, n.b. the 'top' of the Scuttle had already been done when I took this photo):

photo DSC_0299_zpspticqoaf.jpg

Finished scuttle:

photo DSC_0300_zps51vpoabz.jpg

Side:

photo DSC_0301_zpsojm5xkqz.jpg

Once I had done the whole tub and the doors I started reassembly and got this far:

photo DSC_0302_zpszgyppf2b.jpg

photo DSC_0303_zpsyovgexiq.jpg

photo DSC_0307_zpsmabzbpcy.jpg

This is how I attached the rear wing to the rear of the running board in the end, I am quite pleased with the way it looks and I did not have to use piping in the end which I am also pleased about.

photo DSC_0304_zpspj4zlwkz.jpg

I am going to flatten and polish the wings, bonnet and radiator cowl in situ tomorrow.

That's why I try to avoid anything to do with bodywork Ruairidh; I don't have the knowledge to do it properly!!

Ian Mc.

And I don't have the patience.

Looking very good Ruairidh, I was taught to use 1200 wet and dry well lubricated with soap, then hand polish with compound etc, same result just sore shoulders. I am sure that these comments will be teaching you to suck eggs, but it is very easy for the unwary to polish through the paint, particularly around edges.

This is completely new to me Ian and I am grateful for any helpful comment, I was well warned about polishing through by my friend, a parent at the school I teach in actually, very nice bloke.

I am pleased that I went along this route, taking it back to get re-done was not something I was looking forward to doing and I have achieved the finish I was after, I would recommend anyone thinking about this to try it - happy to share what I had to buy and the process I have been taught :)

A lovely finish, well done, I look forward to seeing more progress!

Ruairidh,

As usual I am exhausted by the work you put in and the finish looks excellent - it will be grand after a little flatting and aging! The guard to running board attachment looks very neat - nice attention to detail.

Looking forward to the completion (as you no doubt are)

Tony.

Looking good.
In my mind properly flattened and polished cellulose paint always looks better on an old car than two pack that has a modern hard, high gloss finish.

Charles

I am intrigued by the molegrips on the steering column!

That is a very rare single spoke steering wheel!

Thank you all for the positive comments.

Charles, the paint is two pack but I hope that I have been able to tweak the finish so that it doesn't look too shiny. Our next trip should dull it down 'if' I can persuade my wife that we 'must' do it before the children are too big to all fit in the back :) watch this space...

David, it saved me having to take the steering wheel on and off whilst I fitted the body and dash etc. and allowed me to be able to steer it around the workshops.

Ruairidh Dunford

Charles, the paint is two pack but I hope that I have been able to tweak the finish so that it doesn't look too shiny. Our next trip should dull it down 'if' I can persuade my wife that we 'must' do it before the children are too big to all fit in the back :) watch this space...

I've heard of people "dumbing down" two pack - it looks good. Well done.

I suppose that's why you needed a machine rather than fingers and wet/dry!

Charles

Thank you.

Two pack can look very "jammy" on an old car and flatting and polishing it, does help it a lot.

The good thing about good quality two pack is it's durability, because to all intents and purposes you are spraying liquid araldite!

Looking good though Ruairidh.

Ruairidh,
I learned that trick of rubbing down using various grades of 'wet&dry' to get rid of orange peel in the '70s, but back then only had the use of elbow grease to polish up.
Beforehand, I used to use compound and that just wore my muscles out it took so long.
Should have eaten spinach.

Hope my efforts on the Ruby turn out as good as yours have.
Well done!

Geoff - I've tamed the Singer sewing machine, just fine tuning now.

Bar the loose trim, some lights to reconnect and a few other little things, that is it - out of time again though so the final few bits will have to wait.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement it has really help spur me along, very pleased with the end result.

photo DSC_0298_zps40moxjdr.jpg

photo DSC_0299_zps5myz11lx.jpg

And this is how it started back in May...

photo DSC_0291_zps4sjehkdt.jpg

I think I prefer the 'oily rag' look lol

Alan Swift
I think I prefer the 'oily rag' look lol

I think I do as well Simon, we tried to keep it that way as long as possible but the structural integrity of the car was starting to give and if I had not acted when I did the car would have eventually had to have a lot more work done than it did and it would have taken a lot longer. I didn't want the car off the road for a long period so I bit the bullet and got on with it, I am hoping it will last me at least another 25 years before it will need doing again.

This is what it looked like the day we bought it 11 years ago:

photo P7130042_zpsilt9cysf.jpg

Here it is on the Lofoton Islands north of the Arctic Circle in Norway:

photo DSCF3357_zpsjbp2h7k1.jpg

Near the Gospel Pass:

photo Summer Holiday UK and Cornwall 2010 023_zpshtpnbrnu.jpg

At the top of the Kirkstone pass on our way to Cornwall:

photo Summer Holiday UK and Cornwall 2010 4_zps3krwvtre.jpg

We are planning another big trip to Europe next summer, we are now five.

I like the "used look" and some of my cars display this admirably, my cars need to carry me and my family a long way for a long time yet, so it will return to "oily Rag" perhaps sooner than you think.

I hope you overcome your identity crisis soon LOL

Ruairidh,
Once again you have excelled!
Makes me realise I need to pull finger out and stop being sidetracked.

Geoff - I so live in hope though

Just to conclude the thread and the work on the car.

My friend Charlie came around early this morning to help me put the tow bar back on the car after which I tidied up a few wiring issues that needed doing and went off for a hurl - great to be in the car again. It has a much more rigid feel about it and handles much better than previously.

All ready for the next adventure:

photo DSC_0311_zpstawzwgg5.jpg

photo DSC_0312_zpszhbws5ut.jpg

photo DSC_0313_zpsuaymbn4u.jpg

well done R, it looks fantastic.

tony

Maybe its my computer but the Chummy looks a bit pink!

That said its a wonderful job you have done.

I totally love a bit of pink Chris ;)

It sits really well. Lots of fun to come -well done.

Bill Sheehan
R - Also, as said the insides were painted black, but note they were always just one thin coat of flat black.

Re the 'flat black' you refer to. Is this the same as 'matt black'? Does this apply to the whole of the inside of the body tub? What about underneath (where some restorers produce a mirror shine). What about rear wheel arches? Most importantly, what about the scuttle in the engine compartment? Peter Relph's recently acquired Nippy has this in matt black compared with the usual gloss you see, and it looks stunning. But is it correct? Should I get a life?

Robin, the remnants of original paint that I have found generally appeared to be a Matt or Satin finish, this includes under bonnet, bulkhead and chassis, I also have only seen a very thin coat inside body panels. In my opinion it is details such as this that make the difference in presenting a vintage car correctly, however I admit to being somewhat anal with a tendency to count rivets. Each to their own, I am quite sure some owners would have polished everything in sight even when the cars were new.

I use matt black inside the tub, under the body, wings, bonnet and on the bulkhead - I like the finish.

Great work R - looks ace!!

Thank you Damian - the ride and handling of the car is transformed, holds the road very well, delighted :)

photo 986F5110-BD45-4A3F-B2F3-E8765C9E5F00_zpsjdzzknmh.jpg

Road???

Looking back at the final details of the job - excellent rebuild of the quite lovely Chummy.
Well done that man!

Tony.

Ditto to Tony's last remarks - a great job. Just thinking, it's a car I haven't borrowed yet, so don't let the Europe trip cause any mishaps to it!! (Subtle hint). Cheers, Bill - unfortunately too far south of Haggisland.

Ruairidh Dunford
I am pleased that I went along this route, taking it back to get re-done was not something I was looking forward to doing and I have achieved the finish I was after, I would recommend anyone thinking about this to try it - happy to share what I had to buy and the process I have been taught :)

Ruairidh I am still at the stage of filling and flattening the bodywork on my 1934 Tourer and have tried a random orbital sander from B & Q with limited success. I would be interested in the orbital stuff you used at the paint flatting stage to see if this is any better. Seeing the results that modern body shops get suggests that I should just pass it all over to the experts - but I think I would rather do it all myself including the cellulose spraying....I think so.....having doubts though.

Robin

Robin, having painted dozens cars myself, and made a many mistakes! I have to say there is a lot that only experience teaches you. There are tricks to using any tool and a DA sander is simply a labour saving device that is only as good as its operator, personally I don't like using a DA to work body filler, hand flatting, body files and blocking are the old way of doing the job, more laborious but just as good and sometimes better results are achieved. I agree that it is very satisfying to do the job yourself and it is quite possible for a home paint job to rival those done by the professional. I would suggest seeking out and taking advice from someone who has a proven track record of obtaining good results. It would be worth getting hold of some old panels to experiment on, they will teach you a lot, once you are happy with results you can move on to your car. Paint wings, doors, bonnet etc separately, it is easier to control that way, if one goes wrong you can stop and correct with out having to redo the entire car. Also be aware that a great looking gun finish can look poor once fully dry if your preparation is not up to scratch. Perhaps Ivor may comment and provide some professional thoughts and advice.

Robin,

very happy to speak to you on 01419428037 to explain what I did - Ian and Ivor will be far better placed to give you grounded and experienced advice on this however.

We have now travelled a reasonable distance in the refurbished car and I can report that it is entirely rattle free, holds the road very firmly and is an utter delight to drive, I am very happy that I made the effort to complete the work.

One of the upgrades I chose to fit on reassembly were LED headlights - we had the chance to test them over the weekend and the results are posted below for your interest:

This first shot is on an unlit road starting with headlights off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-TCxjR4ffI&feature=youtu.be

Second shot is on a private single track lane (with potholes!!)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkq8QcPd1wk

Hello Ruairidh
Would your car have originally been fitted with side/head front lights. I have not seen side/head LED bulbs for sale yet. Have you used the double dipper bulbs?
Many thanks.
Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

yes it would have and yes I have...

Hi Ruairidh
How do you find them. Do they give high and low beam in the chummy light units?
Many thanks.
Adrian.

Adrian,

give me a call on 01419428037

Regards,

Ruairidh

Hi Adrian,
My export modal AE has double filament headlamps. When I got it it was using standard filament bulbs and not the graves type and there was no visible difference between high and low. After fitting the LED bulbs you can definitely see the difference and also a lot better. The only trade off is that you no longer have the soft yellow light.

Regards
Bryan

Many thanks for your comments.
Forgot to say, fantastic job on the chummy, Ruairidh.
Adrian.

Why thank you Adrian - our conversation was most illuminating

Ruairidh,
I have LED headlights, but don't have a main beam. I would like to fit dipping LEDs which should be possible because the bulb holders have two contacts.
However with the dipping bulbs orientation must be important. How did you ensure the bulbs were correctly aligned in the reflectors?

You cannot do it properly Jim, I aligned the beam given by angling the lights towards the kerb (which has always been my preference).

What bulbs have you fitted?

My car is 1929 so does not have side, dip AND main beam, only side and head. These are fitted with single 'filament' LED headlight bulbs which work very well indeed.
I now have to have them set low enough not to dazzle - a novel experience with an A7! The problem is that on the open road I now want them set to see further ahead as they are easily capable of that. ie I need a main beam.
The 'Double Dipper' LEDs need to be fitted "with the LED nearest the front of the bulb uppermost". That means the holder has to be in the correct orientation in the reflector.
The question is - Can the holder be rotated in the reflector to bring that LED to the top?

Jim,

it may be possible to rotate the LED (block) portion of the bulb to orientate it in your holder otherwise you will have to desolder the holder and rotate it to suit.

I have noticed little difference in the dip and main beam (36w/40w), my understanding is that most LED lights like this will work on a range of 5-18v and these are most likely to have been originally developed for 12v function - they work well on 6v but the output is compromised very slightly. They are a remarkable improvement on the original that is for certain.

1 2