CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Bar/club activity in Cardiff

I have it from very reliable sources that O'Neills on Working Street will be re-opening on September 27th to mass fanfare.

It will still be a cod Irish shithole packed to the gills with all manner of fakery. No offence Nate but the fad for Oirish pubs completely leaves me cold.

I have nothing against real old fashioned ones with a bit of history - do we have any in Cardiff?

But I don't get the whole Irish thing either - I refuse to wear a silly hat on St Patrick's Day. I just don't get why we should celebrate the patron saint of another country and why everyone in America seems to. I think part of me dislikes it as it goes to show how much better Ireland has been at marketing its culture and how its diaspora have kept more of an attachment - probably because of sheer numbers and ghetoisation (e.g. South Side Irish, Chicago).

I agree that fake Irish pubs are a bit naff, but why cut your nose off to spite your face? The small O'Neills is a cracking little pub, old fashioned and traditional in feel and character. It's totally different to the big O'Neills. In fact, I believe it's the oldest continuously running pub in Cardiff. The sooner its back the better.

Cambo, there are some lovely old style pubs in Cardiff..Goat Major, Rummer, Old Arcade, The Cottage, Kitty Flynns, Kiwis. Admittedly most of these are renovated in an 'old style' but they are cracking places for a pint.

James

I agree that the layout of 'little' O'Neils makes for a nice, intimate supping experience - a quiet haven if you will from the baccanalian excesses of St Mary Street. But to me that is despite the dull witted, plodding cod Irish buffoonery rather than because of it. Personally pictures of 1930's rural Irish drapers don't do it for me and it has absolutely no connection with Cardiff, giving the city a bit of a Milton Keynes 'lets appropriate someone elses history because ours is so shallow' feel. American tourists must come to the conclusion that Welsh history/culture is so nondescript that we all have to pretend we are Irish instead. And don't tell me it's the same in other cities because I don't give a shit about their pubs.

Why not pictures of Newtown - Cardiff's legendary Irish quarter? Pictures of Roman Catholic churches built with the subs of Irish dockers? What about Cardiff Irish personalities - Jim Driscoll, Two Ton Tessie O'Shea, Jim 'Buller' Sullivan, Charlotte Church, Mark Ring, Dan O'Neill (I jest of course)...? That type of research you get for free by contacting the local rag and getting readers to contribute their views. It shows a bit of effort, a bit of local placement. Wetherspoons do it effortlessly even in tiny out of the way towns.

The same with Callaghans? Is the Holiday Inn Irish owned? I don't think so. So why is a pub yards from Cardiff's most recognisable modern icon (Milstad) and across the road from Cardiff's historical icon (the castle) called Callaghans? After Jim Callaghan perhaps - the Portsmouth born ex Prime Minister? Unlikely. It's corporate bullshit and I can't for the life of me think why we put up with it. I could go on but you get my drift.

As for old fashioned pubs in Cardiff my favourite - the Park Vaults - has bit the dust.

Walking around town it appears that Yates in Westgate St has shut down. Anyone know whats happened?

I get the impression it had been struggling for some time... people who like that sort of thing probably prefer St Mary St etc.

Its a nice building, lets hope something better opens there...

Don't know why it shut but it's been shut for a little while I think because about 2 weeks ago there appeared to be a van outside and they were loading furniture into it. Could be unrelated but it was very close to Yates.

Swell bar is def on its way out. New logo gone up that looks like an elephant, a nice name (that i cant remember) and looks interesting.

Soda Bar to re-open (I think on Mill Lane now, bigger venue) in September.

New bar called the Rocking Chair open on lower cathedal road, where Rajahs used to be. Should be an interesting one, kinda off the wall.

The place replacing Swell is called The Promised Land, due to open at the end of the week to look at it. The Richmond Road Varsity now has sofas and frontage. Timed for completion to fit with the return of the students no doubt...

Completely agree about Callaghans by the stadium!!! Funnily enough was walking past last year before the Wales-Ireland euro qualifier and honestly it was so cringeworthy seeing all the hordes of Irish fans around there right by our national stadium!!!!!

I'm splitting off a little bit of the really broad 'good news' thread. Whats this Mischief place on Mount Stuart Square like? how longs it been there? I've never heard of it...

Mount Stuart Square has so much potential to be a great funky little area - a real credit to the city - I think every one agrees. Lets hope the Coal Exchange gets done, gets done well, gets done soon, and makes this happen!

No idea what it's like, but the few times I've passed it it's always seemed dead.

Sadly Shore Pebbles is no more. Repossessed in August.

Im not too suprised to be honest. Now that someone has done the structural work (and taken on the cost) to carve out a bar in the space it might have a better future for the next people to take it on...

Callaghans. Nice local touch that, isn;t it- calling it after a former Cardiff MP.

Mmm. Perhaps not

Karl- sorry missed it in your post - you got that Callaghans joke in first!

Entirley agree with evrything you say. It's so terrible in every way this fake Irish stuff...naff doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7607836.stm

You have to feel for the owners of this restaurant !

To be sure it is

Appartently there's no structural damage, and all the kitchens etc are untouched. I reckon they'll be able to reopen within a month or two if they can get the insurance...

Yeah Callaghans is the name of their bars everywhere - theres one near Russell Square in London.

"I don't know what I am going to do, all my staff and my restaurant - how am I going to pay my staff? "

Ka Cheung

Is this the same ichiban that has about 6 other restaurants across the city?

I'm sure he'll survive

I think theres now only one other, in canton.

Mischiefs is great, and it gets really busy on the weekends, live music and all sorts.

I've spoken to the new owners of shore pebbles. They plan to reopen it with some changes (including the name)

In regards to my own post in this thread on Feb 12th. A planning application for the erection of 12 apartments and 4 shops has been made for the empty space next to what was Delight on Albany Road.

Hopefully it will get the green light cos that sight has been an eyesore for too long.

Also there is a skip outside the proposed 'Let it Rock' club, which suggests more activity there.

Soda Bar to reopen early Oct, dunno where.

Mill Lane i believe

Iota on Mill Lane is now called 'retro bar': same interior, different (cheap) sign and now plays 80s/90s/00s music. There's been quite a bit of shuffling of venues around on the street recently. The curry house has done itself up, new Soda Bar, contis closed down to become the Mill gastro pub. Move looks to be getting a refurb.

Iota has been associated with a few stabbings in the last year and I suspect that has been looked down upon. The people in power have been putting the squeeze on the less desirable elements of the Lane.

But is a 80s/90s/00s club (ala reflex meets flares) a more desirable element?

You will get a few stag and hen do's in there if they are going to play retro music. However, that is preferable to all the R&B crap and all the aggressive macho nonesense that often comes with that type of music.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/09/23/o-neill-s-rises-from-the-ashes-91466-21878101/

Looks like O'Neill's is about to re-open.

New club called Glam opens on Greyfriars Road apparrently:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/2008/09/25/glam-orous-launch-91466-21896819/

I suspect this is what was for a while Q Bar, above Fat Cat. Independently owned (only one around that way) and run as a pool club/bar with a late 6am license. Didnt make enough cash and started running house and dance music nights (esp. when Wish became a strip club, leaving a gap in the market). I heard it was always a bit odd in there because the room wasnt set up for that sort of thing.

However it became apparent that the 6am licence wasn't for music, just the bar. It closed for a little while but now looks to be back under a new name, and I suspect/hope a new layout. Danny Rampling - old house big name - is opening it. It appears now the license is only til 4am. I suspect that is related to the ongoing tensions between the Park Plasa hotel and Greyfriars Roads publand.

New 800 capacity live music venue called Sub 29 to open above Bar Riza [sp?], in the Millennium Plaza building. Opens November. I think it will be 'cool', for the 'cool kids'. But I could be wrong. It has the Stanton Warriors playing when it opens. They also have Alabama 3 playing in December, so I assume they can reduce the capacity below 800! Any one know what that used to be? Was it Jonglers?

Any more word on 'Wales Biggest Chinese restaurant' also meant to be opening in there?

Sodabar is now open on Mill Lane. Glam is now open on Greyfriars Road. Little Oneals - post fire - will have live music upstairs on Thur, Fri, Sat.

I was in the smaller O'Neils last Friday. It's much much better than it was. It seems much lighter inside.

The unit you are talking about in MP is the former Jongleurs space I think. Not sure about when the new Chinese restaurant is going to open. I heared before Christmas but I might be wrong.

Has the cinema closed yet in readiness for converting those floors to offices ?

A circa 800 capacity music venue would be really great. We already have several small venues (bars, The Point, Barfly etc) and of course do very well on big gigs at the CIA, and massive ones at the Millennium, but we miss out a lot to Bristol in the kind of up-and-coming band market..the kind that the likes of myself havent heard of, but NMEites have.

good news anyway/.

In this week's planning apps.

08/02252/C Full Planning Permission Expected Decision Level: DEL
Received: 26/09/2008 Ward: CATHAYS
Case Officer: Alan Groves
Applicant: Miss Silvia A. Da Silva Santos, 60 Neville Street, Riverside, Cardiff
Agents: , , , , ,
Proposal: USE OF UNIT 4 AS A CAFÉ BAR WITH OPENING HOURS OF 9AM – 2AM, EACH DAY
At: UNIT 4 THE GRAND, WOMANBY STREET, CITY CENTRE, CARDIFF, CF10 1BR

Does anyone know exactly where on Womany street this is ?

I think UNIT 4 THE GRAND means it is one of the units opposite Clwb Ifor Bach that was once part of the grand hotel, ie wot was shore pebbles, and the other new place there. I guess there must be at least four units in all!

The plan is for a latin themed cafe/bar called Culto cafe bar. They want to open til 4, the police want them to close at 1.30. Live music and pre-recorded music. Could be good! Unless it is tacky...

I'm not sure if there is that much demand in Womanby St. Shore Pebbles has shut down (apparently it is to re-open as Kaz Bar), Brookes always looks empty and I think the Calcutta Club is closed during the week. It's a pity as that is probably the most atmospheric street in the city centre and could be very 'lively' in the best sense of the word (ie. not lively as in bottom end of St Mary St lively).

It just needs the right venues. Was obviously to me after one visit that Shore Pebbles wouldnt be there long. Didnt have the balance right...

Yeah the street really should be something special - but it just hasn't found its feet. I went to the Calcutta club on a Friday night when I was visiting the city with my ex. It was about 9PM and it was pretty much dead - they were offering free shots. I felt obliged to buy at least 1 drink then, but a lot of people seemed to flit in to get this and then leave.

I think I commented before on a few 'mistakes' they made (i.e. it looked like it would be very expensive which is perhaps offputting) but I think a major problem is the street.
Perhaps this area, together with the top of St Mary's and Westgate could be marketed as the "Castle Quarter" with an emphasis on more independent and better bars?

I disagree about Womanby street really. I really like it.

Was there last weekend, and everywhere was really busy. Calcutta Club was rammed (admittedly only the ground floor was open) and Brookes and Kaz Bar was busy..yep Shore Pebbles has reopened as Kaz Bar.

I think the street, and surrounding streets has really big potential...Cardiffs own Temple Bar if the council manage it right.

Clwb, and of course being so close to the Millennium stadium will also always guarantee a certain level of trade in itself.

Isn't it already part of the Castle Quarter ? Castle Arcade used to have banners up to that effect at least and I thought Womanby Street was part of all that...although clearly it hasn't been marketed all that well.

300-400ish capacity live music venue opening up on Albany Road in November, where the globe cinema was and to be called the Globe. Run by some bloke who used to play sax in a successful 1970s welsh band apparently:

http://www.theglobecardiff.com/

An application for a restaurant/bar with live music by Toucan clubs at 25 Westgate Street.

I may be wrong but I think this may be the building that currently houses Burger King. Queens Vaults is no 29, Zero degrees is 27. I hope this is the case as that building could do with a radical overhaul.

Fantastic news! For westgate street, for the building, and for cardiff. This should be the return of the Toucan Club, which is somethng that really hasn't been replaced in cardiff since it went. Where'd you get the info from? I'd love to see even the geekiest bit of extra detail.

Isn't it likely to be the old Yates which is empty? From Burger Kings point of view I can't see the logic of moving out.

It's sure to be Yates.

Has anyone ever known a Burger King to close? They'll still be serving burgers come armageddon. Would you like fries with the nuclear fallout Sir?

We are all wrong. It's actually the old Glamorgan council social club! There are posters on the building asking if anyone objects to a 4am licence.

Gotta say I'm very pleased with this! For any one who doesnt know, the Toucan is a great funky kinda international themed bar/club that has always pushed live acts and quality decor. They have been where Callaghans currently is, then opposite Clwb Ifor Bach, then on St Marys St (now the fantasy lounge), then an unsuccessful out of town move to Newport Road. Apart from this last venture they were always a great success, always moving to a bigger venue.

This really fits with the type of image we often say we'd love to see for Womanby Street. And a great use for a really nice old building...

The one thing I dont quite see is how it'll work opposite the stadium. At all the venues the one dress code they have had is no sports wear on international days. Will be interesting if they have the strength to stick to this!

If memory serves me right I was in the Toucan on St Mary's Street a few years back on a match day and there were loads of people in Welsh shirts there. I dont doubt that they had a 'no sports clothes' rule at night but I think that it was relaxed during the day.

There are some decent venues on Westgate street. This will be another welcome addition. I just wish the WRU would pull their finger out with all that empty land in front of the stadium on Westgate Street.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM