CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Cardiff airport

Wizard
M:

If the catchment area is not big enough then:

a)why did the airport ever get built in the first place?
b)why are CWL passenger numbers plunging (against the global trend) when there are more European airlines than ever before serving more destinations across Europe* than ever before from more tin-pot** airports than ever before?

Most UK airfields were built long before the era of mass market flying. In fact, the original Cardiff airport was at Pengam on Rover Way. You can see ref to it on the facade of the garage on Westgate St (now Zero degrees). If you were to build a new airport now you would put it somewhere nr the Severn Bridge.

Why are nos still falling.... some of the above points are valid. However, an airline will want max patronage (in and out) so will develop services where that is most likley. With Bristol at critical mass and Heathrow and Birmingham already taking a slice of the Welsh demand it is not hard to undertstand why nos at Cardiff are falling.

Rhoose was a WWII dispersal airfield like Llandow. After the war some commercial services ran out of Llandow and the worst aircrash in Wales happened nearby in 1950 when a overloaded Avro Tudor stalled and crashed killing 80 or so souls.

So it could be worse we could all be flying from Llandow.

The airport needs a decent owner/management team with a real long term plan, improvements on the Culverhouse Airport road (fewer roundabouts for a start) and tolls to cease on the Severn Bridge (it is more a barrier to the English than to us).

It simple realy CWL needs to have progressive management with a mandate to improve and enlarge the airport. Sadly missmanagemnt by WAG has left it poorly connected and therefore unatractive to private investors. Public subsidy is out of the question and totaly unaceptable. I am going to be very provcative and say WAG is nothing more than an exercise in Welsh Language promotion populated by know-nothing career politicians.
Now that I have lit the fuse stand back and wait for the explosion!!!!!

Gareth
It simple realy CWL needs to have progressive management with a mandate to improve and enlarge the airport. Sadly missmanagemnt by WAG has left it poorly connected and therefore unatractive to private investors. Public subsidy is out of the question and totaly unaceptable. I am going to be very provcative and say WAG is nothing more than an exercise in Welsh Language promotion populated by know-nothing career politicians.

You're not a pprune poster by any chance?

For those of who don't know the Cardiff section there has been locked due to a bit of a flame war going on.

From what I could see some people (from the Wales Air Network I suspect) threw a hissy fit when told a few home truths (perhaps rather too bluntly). I don't know if that's the full story as posts might have been deleted.

mustrum_ridcully
Gareth

For those of who don't know the Cardiff section there has been locked due to a bit of a flame war going on.

From what I could see some people (from the Wales Air Network I suspect) threw a hissy fit when told a few home truths (perhaps rather too bluntly). I don't know if that's the full story as posts might have been deleted.

terry pratchet's finest!!!!

its rude to come on here and give us little tid bits then not actually post links or explain what exactly it is you said, come on, we are all ears

Gareth

I don't necessarily disagree with you, my feelings on WAG are that they have not exactly done anything to take Wales forward. All we seem to get is a plethora of excuses from the pro WAG/NAW supporters but I think the general reason is that as a nation of 3m people we do not have a sufficiently large political class. Perhaps we should try a new model. Between the 60 AM's and 50 or so MP's we could have 50 MP's say at Westminster taking the cream of the total. It would not be all MP's or all AM's but the best from both. Then devolved matters could be delegated to Welsh MP sittings only. Its the same set up as the Assembly except decisions are made by Welsh politicans in Westmisnter not in the Senedd. It satisfies the current yes vote campaigners and also reduces levels of political bureaucracy and cost.

I am a patriot, not a nationalist. I have no issue with Welsh decisions being made in Westmisnter by Welsh MP's only on devolved matters. The border betwen England and Wales is only a line on the map. We are all european now and the world is a smaller place. I think the above system would work better for Wales as we would have a more powerful lobbying group in Westminster that is more accountable to the Welsh electorate as well as being able to influence financing decisions due to the single block vote they would hold.

(pedants note, I can't be arsed checking the actual number of either AM's or MP's so try and conceptualise rather than get bogged down in needless minuatae. likewise, if any of the technical details are wrong, I don't care, learn to deal with it)

Jantra
mustrum_ridcully
Gareth

terry pratchet's finest!!!!

its rude to come on here and give us little tid bits then not actually post links or explain what exactly it is you said, come on, we are all ears

Seeing as you asked sooo nicely

It starts to kick-off around about here
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/282942-cardiff-128.html

A proposed £5m grant from WAG towards redevelopment of the terminal at Cardiff airport....or other infrastructure works according to the airport manager - see below

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/03/09/assembly-plans-5m-air-terminal-upgrade-91466-28303356/

Shouldn't we just forget all this Cardiff Airport stuff. Go back to calling it Rhoose and then everyone could understand why it isn't and never will be a very successful regional Airport a la Bristol.

The 2010 yearly figures from the CAA came out yesterday

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data/2010Annual/Table_01_Size_of_UK_Airports_2010_Comp_2005.pdf

Cardiff at 1.398 Million that amount hasn't been seen in Cardiff since 1999. Really a second division Airport.

For those that say Bristol has eaten Cardiff's share..
Why hasn't Liverpool been squeezed by Manchester?

1999:
Manchester 17.4m
Liverpool 1.3m

Bristol 1.96m
Cardiff 1.3m

Manchester 17.6m
Liverpool 5.0m

Bristol 5.77m
Cardiff 1.39m

Zach, you clearly haven't read the explanations put forward by other forum posters identifying the 'unique' factors pertaining to our airport.

In order to explain the 'blip' in the figures, let me educate you:

Cardiff hasn't got a catchment area that can match ANY other airport in Europe which is served by a low cost carrier such as Ryanair.
Everybody who lives within a 50km radius of the airport is so skint (unlike Liverpool) that they can't afford to fly .
Cardiff cannot be compared with other UK cities because well.....just because.
Us southern Welsh don't fly very much (unlike the Scousers).
Yada yada.

It is nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with cumulative mis-management at the airport.

PS - At the risk of partially contradicting my above comments -some of those figures in the link look rather unexpected (the link is for 2005 v 2010 and not 1999 v 2010?). Have terminal passengers really fallen at all the big airports (Manchester states a fall from 22million to 17 million from 2005 to 2010 and all the big London airports have also fallen?)

I don't suppose passengers have been encouraged to use CWL since the introduction of drop off charges and the £2 trolley fee.

It's great business sense to ramp up charges when your business is contracting!!

Simon_N16

It's great business sense to ramp up charges when your business is contracting!!

How do you define a contracting business? Is it one where the market share in passenger numbers is falling or one where overall profitability is falling. If the former, Cardiff Airport is contracting. If the latter, it's doing the opposite.

Cardiff Airport could attract a low cost carrier tomorrow by waving landing fees and giving momney to the carrier. That would address a contraction in passenger numbers overnight but would do NOTHING for the airport's competitiveness as all it would do is encourage other carriers to renegotiate their deals.

Does everybody recognise that the airport is a business in its own right? Sometimes it sounds to me as if this fact is completely forgotten.

Taking Tesco as a comparison, rather than sell food to its customers, would this hugely successful company be willing to give the food away for the common good and pay for the privilege of having the customers walk through the door? I think not. Discuss! :-)

But they do just that don't they? I thought that we're always being told that they sell alcohol at lower than cost as a loss leader to entice shoppers in?

Anyhows,I don't want to go off on a supermarket v airport comparison so let's just say that I completely agree that it is a private concern so they can do what they like......but are Cardiff airport's core operating profits really showing an upward trajectory with each double digit declining set of annual PAX???

I find that very hard to believe.

IF Delta had a direct flight from Cardiff to New York would this create more business or just take passengers from the existing code share flights via Paris and Amsterdam with KLM and Air France?

And being pessimistic what would stop them pulling the flight once there is no more subsidy? Isn't that what Continental did at Bristol.

It would be great if it happens, and as for them pulling the flight - that can happen (and frequently does) with other airlines to other destinations.

Whether the demand is there or not I guess we'll have to wait and see, but plenty of people from Wales do travel to New York so I don't see why not, it'll save a trip up to Heathrow.

I've arrived back from holiday today via the airport and it badly needs a lift of more traffic so I really hope this does happen.

Well I have given up on Cardiff Airport. I look to Bristol first, and then Cardiff as a desperate last resort. Sure enough - I am off to Edinburgh tomorrow and it so turns out that the times and fares are far better from Bristol (even when you work out the impact of bridge tolls and car fuel etc).

If Bristol couldn't sustain a direct service to the US what makes people think Cardiff will?

I'd put money on the airline cutting and running as soon as any subsidy runs out.

Considering the cuts in government spending that are going on at the moment I personally think spending public money on a route such as this is a waste.

I don't particularlly support state subsidies for privately owned companies, but if subsidies were to be given for routes from CWL I'd far rather they be for European destinations.

Wales-on-line Silly-Season.

Flights to New York!
They can't even manage flights to main land Europe

CWL pax # falling by 180,000 a year.
CWL Share is down to 0.6%

(Doncaster/Sheffield Airport is 0.4%)

Apparently Stelios Haji-Ioannou is planning on setting up a low cost rival to Easyjet.

If it does get past the due diligence stage, I reckon that the management at Cardiff Airport should 'bet the ranch' on trying to secure this airline whatever the cost. It could potentially be an opportunity to save the airport from being administered the last rites.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Wizard
Apparently Stelios Haji-Ioannou is planning on setting up a low cost rival to Easyjet.

If it does get past the due diligence stage, I reckon that the management at Cardiff Airport should 'bet the ranch' on trying to secure this airline whatever the cost. It could potentially be an opportunity to save the airport from being administered the last rites.

I'm not holding my breath though.

I've read rumours that the new airline might be buying-up various bits of BMI, potentially including BMIbaby. Trouble is would he choose to reverse the decision to close BMIbaby operations at Cardiff?

What I ultimately don't understand about the whole story is why someone who owns a third of the shares in a major plc would be setting up a rival which could severely dent the profits of the original enterprise - kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?

If this airline does get off the ground then it could have good growth prospects. He has the resources and the know how in the industry. The guy garners acres of press coverage (and subsequent free advertising) which is good for brand awareness.

Cardiff airport obviously wouldn't be their main base due to its geographical isolation, but the management should potentially bend over backwards to offer incentives to get a smaller base there if any interest was shown. All wishing thinking on my part of course.

One of Easyjets main bases is Bristol. If he really wants to put the boot into them with this new venture Cardiff would be a good bet surely? Lots of people from south Wales/borders who currently fly from Bristol would fly from Cardiff if there were some decent destinations.

Thats always assuming the management of CWL actually give a shit which frankly doesn't appear to be the case.

What I dont understand with CWL management - Cardiff is supposed to be one of the top 10 tourist attractions in the world - why are CWL not advertising this from the rooftops - not only encouraging the likes of Easyjet but also people like Vueling - attract visitors from Europe not only to Europe....

Because Cardiff isn't really one of the top 10 tourist attractions in the world, just like our swimming pool isn't really international. It's an average British city that has a few more sporting events than most for its size but beyond that not much significantly better than many other cities. And certainly not its airport.

Me
Because Cardiff isn't really one of the top 10 tourist attractions in the world, just like our swimming pool isn't really international. It's an average British city that has a few more sporting events than most for its size but beyond that not much significantly better than many other cities. And certainly not its airport.

I tend to agree. However it's the best Welsh city and just a short drive from places like the Brecon Beacons, Gower etc. Many people who come to Cardiff are interested in the Welsh/Celtic heritage, history, art, castles and all that. Sadly people try to promote either parochial nonsense like Clarke's Pies, Billy The Seal or a bland 'internationalist' i.e anything but Welsh nowhere identity.

Danowens you sum it up perfectly. There is much that is fascinating and intriguing and beautiful about Cardiff but it is not a top 10 visitor attraction. HOWEVER - Wales, the last undiscovered (internationally speaking) part of the UK has massive potential, as yet untapped, and unrealised.

Never Mind Stelios, more pie in the sky. He is in dissagreement with the board and this is only a press release story with a one page url (Swansea Seacat/flyfor beans/bayscape/etc)

A cut in APD for Cardiff Airport would attract more business.

Why doesn't the Assembly either do this themselves or get Westminster to do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15072772

Not sure if anyone knows about this but it appears that there are 'Airport Consultative Committee' meetings which take place at the airport and are free for anyone to attend and ask questions. The minutes from previous meetings can be found on the airports website.

http://www.tbicardiffairport.com/en/content/8/95/airport-consultative-committee.html

if anyone is interested in reading them.

Tiny bit of good news. New flight to Barcelona.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15485153

Really crap reading about the passenger figures in the same article. I can't say I'm at all shocked when most people use the airport for sun based holiday flights and during the current economic climate people will have cut back on them.

At last - some good news from the airport !

I'm no aviation expert but I reckon that this is exactly the type of airline that Cardiff airport needs to attract. I've never realistically expected an airline to set up a 'hub' at Cardiff airport, but I've regularly been dispirited by the lack of use of the airport as a solitary 'spoke'. At last we have a spoke! Hip hip....

Vueling

Having just been on Vueling on an internal Spanish flight I do not think think this will be an improvement.

All I can say is that they make Easyjet look good!

Re: Vueling

Just had a look Cardiff Airport live Arrivals and they had 9 arrivals for the rest of the day (Saturday 1pm) 3 of which were BMI Baby.
Bristol had 40 for the same time period!

I think Cardiff Airport is F****d.

Maybe if they charge £40 per hour for parking and £100 for drop off they can get back into the black!

Build a decent road to BRS using money gained by selling off CWL for Housing would be their best option.

I could be wrong but expect some good news tomorrow.

Don't tell me - a new route to Barcelona.

As written by Peter Finch, the city that now doesn't meets the city that never did?

Hypercelt
Don't tell me - a new route to Barcelona-Reus.

Corrected for accuracy

New routes from Vueling.
Vueling, Spain’s leading low fare airline, today announced it is bolstering its destinations from Cardiff Airport this summer with the addition of two new destinations, Alicante and Palma, Mallorca. The new scheduled services will commence from 22 June 2012 and will be operated by 150-seat Airbus A319 aircraft three times weekly on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
Today’s news follows hard on the heels of the announcement in October to commence Cardiff-Barcelona services from March, marking the first direct Vueling service from the UK to Barcelona, the airline’s home base. From 27th March flights to Barcelona will depart on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, then from 24th the schedule will alter to Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays to accommodate the increasing interest in the cruise market from Barcelona. Most cruises set sail on a Saturday so these flights will enable passengers to arrive at a convenient time in order to join their chosen cruise and spend a final night in Barcelona before returning home.
Lead in fares to all destinations will start from approximately £41.41 (€49.99) and tickets are available now via www.vueling.com, travel agents, Vueling’s iPhone application, mobile portal m.vueling.com, and call centre UK number 0906 754 7541. Previously only on offer up to mid-June, Vueling has now extended its summer sale to include flights throughout the entire peak summer and school holiday period.
Vueling flights offer a wealth of onward connections available via Vueling’s successful Barcelona Hub operations, currently accessing over 40 destinations in Europe and North-Africa, with full baggage through check-in from Cardiff Airport to final destination.
“We are delighted to be able to expand our footprint in Wales and increase our schedule to enable passengers from Cardiff to not only enjoy the city of Barcelona for weekend breaks but to also enjoy holidays to other popular Spanish destinations,” said Vueling CEO Alex Cruz. “Vueling is very pleased to be able to fulfil the local catchment area’s requirement for direct flights to these destinations for both leisure and business travellers.”
Patrick Duffy, Cardiff Airport’s Managing Director adds: “We’re pleased with Vueling’s announcement to operate a further two routes to Alicante and Palma, in addition to the previously announced service to Barcelona. The Spanish low cost carrier will be a welcome addition to South Wales, and will offer our passengers the chance to access some of Europe’s leading holiday destinations from their local airport. In addition the airline, which has a very high profile in Spain, will also give Spanish passengers the opportunity to visit Wales. We look forward to the start of the airline’s operations from Cardiff from the end of March, and trust the Welsh consumers will support these services.”
The announcement has been welcomed by Welsh Government Business Minister, Edwina Hart:" This is excellent news for the airport and for the wider region - the routes are to very popular holiday destinations and have the potential to significantly increase traffic from Cardiff Airport. It also opens up closer business and tourism links between Wales and Spain bringing benefits to both countries."
Vueling provides a service that mirrors traditional carrier practices including seat selection, options to book through travel agencies, loyalty point’s schemes, an extensive network and premium services. It’s even possible to buy gift vouchers for Vueling flights as special gifts.

Combined with the return of Orlando for this summer, this may keep the drop in passengers to single figures!

Good news.

More of the same please

James
Good news.

More of the same please

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the disappointing thing is that it is 'more of the same' ,and nothing new.

Wizard
James
Good news.

More of the same please

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but the disappointing thing is that it is 'more of the same' ,and nothing new.

More of anything is an improvement at Cardiff Airport at the moment, it's about as much as we can hope for I think. Sad I know, but that's the reality of it.

Just went been on a FlyBe flight from Cardiff to Edinburgh rtn.
The flight was about half full up to EDI and only about a third full back to CWL. Coupled with Flybe's announcement earlier this week on poor traffic and cuts, can Cardiff escape?

Cardiff Airport looked was so empty, from the long term car park to the departures / arrival board to the bars and shops. Probably more staff than travellers.

Unless they have a really good summer I can't see it continuing like this for long.

Flybe were doing a Ryan air and charging lots of people £40 at the gate for bags that were the tiniest bit over-size.
Leaves a bad taste and any discretionary travellers will think twice before making that spontaneous trip away.

Had a look at what flights Cardiff have coming in for the rest of the day. London/Luton and Doncaster/Sheffield?? or is this Arsenal team or supporters chartering an EZE planes for the Swansea match tomorrow, anyone know?

Arrivals:
Flight No Airport Scheduled
EZE1605 London Luton 16:05
KL1063 Amsterdam 16:45
EZE1546 Doncaster/Sheffield 20:00
KL1069 Amsterdam 21:35
TOM6621 Las Palmas 22:50

Departures:
Flight No Airport Scheduled
KL1064 Amsterdam 17:25

ONE FLIGHT

Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We are about to land in an enterprise zone!

Cardiff International Starship Enterprise Airport Zone

Smurf
What I dont understand with CWL management - Cardiff is supposed to be one of the top 10 tourist attractions in the world - why are CWL not advertising this from the rooftops - not only encouraging the likes of Easyjet but also people like Vueling - attract visitors from Europe not only to Europe....
September 2011.

Maybe somebody is reading this site??? Ok now try Air Berlin...

I don't understand the post above. Could you give a bit more information please.

He's saying that in Sept 11 someone on this forum suggested that CWL attract the likes of Vueling. Hey presto Vueling are starting flights to Barcelona from CWL in Feb 12. The power of this forum strikes again.

The Vale of Glamorgan Deposit Draft Local Development Plan gets published for consultation in the next couple of weeks.

It includes the following that I thought might be of interest:-

LAND IS ALLOCATED AT CARDIFF AIRPORT FOR 77.4 HECTARES OF B1,
B2 & B8 EMPLOYMENT USES, A NEW RAIL LINK TO SERVE CARDIFF
AIRPORT AND AN EXTENSION TO PORTHKERRY COUNTRY PARK.
7.51 This strategic employment site measures approximately 77.4 hectares and
is allocated for business and employment uses catering specifically for the
needs of the aerospace industry and high tech manufacturing. The site will
be served by a new direct rail link, which will provide passenger and freight
services.
In order to ensure the site fits within the fine landscape of the
Vale of Glamorgan and promotes sustainability, the site includes an
extension to Porthkerry Country Park. Located immediately to the east of
the Airport and south of Port Road, development of the site will encourage
inward investment and consolidate the role of the Vale of Glamorgan within
the Capital Region. The site draws benefits from the close proximity of the
Welsh Government’s proposed Aerospace Space Business Park at St
Athan and the motorway network.
7.52 The strategic site includes the following elements:
a) Employment - the strategic employment site will be developed for B1, B2
and B8 uses and will be progressed over two phases as detailed below.
Proposals for B2 uses on the site will be required to be related to
appropriate manufacturing, research and development (Policy MG 12 (2)
refers). General B2 industrial development will not be acceptable on this
site.

b) Rail Link to Cardiff Airport - A new direct rail link to the airport from the
existing Vale of Glamorgan railway line will improve public transport access
to the airport
(Policy MG 20 refers).
c) Transport Hub - a new and dedicated transport hub located at the airport
will provide enhanced public transport facilities to the airport for businesses
and the surrounding community providing new and improved transport
facilities at the airport which will also benefit the Vale of Glamorgan and
the Capital Region.(Policy MG 20 refers).
d) The provision of an energy centre to serve the development.
e) A 42 hectare extension to Porthkerry Country Park as part of the
comprehensive nature of the proposals (Policy MG 28 refers).
7.53 In order to ensure that the site is developed in a comprehensive manner
the employment land to the east of the airport and the new direct rail link
and transport hub will be provided in the
first phase of the development. No
development on the second phase to the
south of Port Road will take place until such
time as the railway line extension is
operational. Land for the extension of
Porthkerry Country Park will be transferred
to the ownership of the Vale of Glamorgan
Council prior to the commencement of the
development to the south of Port Road for
employment purposes.

A direct rail link is far better than the current arrangement, and should have been incorporated into the VoG line re-opening. Maybe CWL wouldn't be in the state it is now if it had.

Any enhancement would have to incorporate big improvements to frequencies. The danger is that it ends up as a white elephant service unless the airport has a big turnaround in fortunes.

The inclusion of a new business park at near the airport in the development plan is good news - whether it comes to fruition is another thing! Still the airport's inclusion in the Enterprise Zone may help?

Is it possible that British Airways may expand their maintenance base at the airport now that it will be in the Enterprise zone even they have ruled out St. Athan?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM