CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author
Comment
Re: Cardiff airport

Jantra
SP

FWIW, the lions share of UK debt is the unsustainable public sector pensions which equate to more than half of the UK's debt. Put it into context, less than 10% of the population have pensions and place such an unaffordable burden on everyone else. There is no case to answer, we need major pension reform and thankfully we have a government who have understood what the elephant in the room actually is.

Could you give some figures on this?
Do you mean structural debt or total?
why are you saying pensions are more responsible for the debt than any other spending that they have committed to?

Is Cardiff airport really that important to the Welsh economy? A rail spur from Reading station to Heathrow would be very beneficial in terms of bring investment into Wales from overseas.

Cardiff airport is definitely NOT important to the Welsh economy as it stands - that is exactly the issue!

Wales is the only country in Europe with such shit air links to the rest of Europe. It is hardly a USP when tying to attract any private investment, is it?

It's not the 'be all and end all' to have a decent airport, but if you don't have one, it's hardly likely to encourage overseas investment if your peer cities do have good air links is it?

I conquer. We need a better airport. A better, more connected airport will not only bring in more tourists but give Wales an image boost. The 'look where we can fly to' factor plays a part. Imagine a Visit Wales campaign that can say something along the lines of 'Fly direct from N.Y to Cardiff and explore our ancient country' it would give a little image boost and make the country easier for tourists to get to.

One reason for the problems there might just be the underlying problems in the South Wales economy-the lack of a flourishing private sector nobody wants to come to South Wales in its current state to make money. Also things that can't be controlled like population that week in week out episode on the airport said Bristol serves a region of 8 million how many people does Cardiff serve potentially 2 million?Im just saying the Heathrow rail link would probably bring more for us, we should least expect from Cardiff is to be able to get daily flight to major European airports so we can connect to other places in the world like from Frankfurt,Schipol and De Gaulle. Having a direct flight to New York is too ambitious not essential and wouldn't be sustainable especially as there is no direct flight from Bristol to New York anyway!

Planes do also pick up people from the other side. If Belfast is able to sustain a New York air route, although the airport is failing and thye needed a reduction in APD to help it, why can't Cardiff? Americans, when they come, really do love Wales. It would be a missed opportunity.

I personally think that Cardiff Airport needs to concentrate on the more densely populated European cities such as Madrid, Rome, Milan, Naples, Munich, Berlin, Moscow and St. Petersburg to name a few. My German friends wanted to come visit me and laughed when I told them Cardiff has no links with Germany.

One reason why Belfast can sustain a flight to New York(Newark) is the huge number of Irish-Americans in America especially in the North East USA who would want to visit it may sound a little silly but according to wikipedia only 0.6% of Americans have Welsh heritage.

There are too Irelands remember. Most Americans go to Dublin and the Republic which is very well linked up to America. There may well have been only a small amount of Welsh immigrants in America but why would that mean Americans wouldn't travel here? I think that the figure may be off by a bit. Being Welsh isn't quite as cool as being Irish in America, but the Welsh have had a far bigger impact, politically speaking, than the Irish. Even Obama is a direct decendent of a Welsh family from Anglesey making him a tiny bit more Irish than Welsh, but played the Irish card to get votes.

Yes most would go to the Republic but many Americans are also descended from Irish protestants from the North also and yes I actually do think that Americans are less likely to come here because there are less Welsh-Americans and therefor less have heard of Wales anyone whose been to America from Wales will know you have to explain where the hell Wales is its not about whether we are thought of as "cool".Im of Irish descent my self my Mother is Irish so i've been there many times you can see buses in the big towns all the time full of 60 something year old Americans. Anyway gone slightly of topic my point is there are probably 10 times more Irish in America than Welsh and thats why Belfast can sustain a daily flight to Newark airport, most Welsh Americans probably dont even know they are Welsh anyway.

And theres only one Ireland with a small amount of confused people in the North East who think that they are British! And thats really off topic.

Agreed on the number of Irish v Welsh Americans but they do know where Wales is, well at least those in New York. Both times I have been the people with whom I spoke new where Wales is. I also agree that most of them probably don't know about their Welsh ancestry. This could come in handy.

We need to go all Scottish and Irish style on them and exploit our Arthurian past. Americans are crazy for the Middle Ages, mainly because they didn't have one, and we can exploit that. Built it and they will come. New York also has the largest Welsh Society outside Europe with the Chicago Taffia coming in a close second.

From the UK Draft Aviation Policy Framework published today:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2012-35

"An Enterprise Zone has also been established around Newquay airport, and the Enterprise Zone in Cardiff has recently been expanded to incorporate the airport. To recognise the importance of the airport to the wider Welsh economy, the First Minister of Wales formed the Cardiff Airport Task Force. The Task Force is a collaboration between the airport’s owners, the Welsh Government and the wider public sector and business community. It will identify and recommend improvements and investments needed for Wales to boost air connectivity, improve the passenger experience and maximise its economic impact, commercially and for Wales. This is only one of many examples of good practice in this regard."

Also, this has been mentioned before in this thread, but it sounds confirmed now.
"For example, we are providing funding for a new rail line from the Great Western Main Line near Slough to Heathrow which could provide significantly improved connections from the Thames Valley, the West of England and Wales to the airport and journey time savings of up to 30 minutes"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18817874

Will this mean a journey of something like 1 hour 40 minutes?
Good news I suppose but maybe not for Cardiff airport.

Maybe it's my age, but I do get increasingly confused by all these announcements. Is it not the current favoured position that another runway is not going to be allowed at Heathrow, hence the desire (in the long term) to build a brand new London airport elsewhere in the city?

I can't see any of this really affecting Cardiff Airport because it's already effectively flat-lined.

I think the government is reviewing their original posistion of no more airport expansion in the south east, Boris wants a new airport in the Thamas estuary that would be incredibely expensive and some tories are pushing to bring back the third runway for Heathrow which the coalition agreement forbids and the lib dems are vehemently against as are a few tory mps in west London.
The best solution for us I think in the south east of Wales is that Heathrow expands and remains the main airport of the UK and not a vastly expensive new airport on the other side of London that would take longer to get to and take ages to build. Also if Heathrow doesn't remain number one then this rail link really would be a waste of time!

Wizard
Maybe it's my age, but I do get increasingly confused by all these announcements. Is it not the current favoured position that another runway is not going to be allowed at Heathrow, hence the desire (in the long term) to build a brand new London airport elsewhere in the city?

I can't see any of this really affecting Cardiff Airport because it's already effectively flat-lined.

I think this current publication is essentially, what can the government do in the short(ish) term to support the aviation sector whilst appearing friendly to people who live under flight paths, appearing kind to the environment and appearing to appreciate the outlying regions.

More strategic or long-term ideas for aviation will be published later this year (postponed), which will consult on things like new airports and what have you.

Barden

"An Enterprise Zone has also been established around Newquay airport, and the Enterprise Zone in Cardiff has recently been expanded to incorporate the airport...."

Isn't this incorrect? The Cardiff (financial services) enterprise zone has not changed at all. The Vale of Glamorgan air industry enterprise zone that was based around St Athen was expanded to include Cardiff Airport, nothing from Cardiff way.

A quick direct train to Heathrow is probably the best bet cardiff has for a decent local airport.

Wizard

It looks like a 3rd runway at Heathrow is becoming the favoured option of a fair few top Tories, including George Osborne. Trouble is the coalition agreement rules out the 3rd runway, hence all the stalling taking place regarding the aviation expansion debates.

Me
Barden

"An Enterprise Zone has also been established around Newquay airport, and the Enterprise Zone in Cardiff has recently been expanded to incorporate the airport...."

Isn't this incorrect? The Cardiff (financial services) enterprise zone has not changed at all. The Vale of Glamorgan air industry enterprise zone that was based around St Athen was expanded to include Cardiff Airport, nothing from Cardiff way.

A quick direct train to Heathrow is probably the best bet cardiff has for a decent local airport.

Yep, you're right.

mustrum_ridcully
Wizard

It looks like a 3rd runway at Heathrow is becoming the favoured option of a fair few top Tories, including George Osborne. Trouble is the coalition agreement rules out the 3rd runway, hence all the stalling taking place regarding the aviation expansion debates.

Gawd, I hope not!

Me

what is actually worrying me is that an air industry enterprise zone would be set up excluding the airport. surely you would base such a zone around the fulcrum of the air industry - you'd hardly set up a sea farers zone at the top of a mountain.

it beggars belief it really does although, as always, i am not surprised.

Cardiff Airport is a part of the St. Athan enterprise zone. The Cardiff Enterprise zone, as we all know, is going to be a financial district. Both of which, including the motor one up in the valleys, will be a part of the new Cardiff City Region.

@SP

according to Barden, adding the airport to the enterprize zone happened after it was created. This would indicate that it wasn't part of the original scope. that was my point - if Barden is correct then why wasn't it included initially?

So, we've got a separate devolved geographical zone with its own economic division (WG) which has set up a special economic zone (Enterprise zone), a subset of which requires a unique task force (Cardiff Airport task group).

It make yer worry at times.

Jantra
@SP

according to Barden, adding the airport to the enterprize zone happened after it was created. This would indicate that it wasn't part of the original scope. that was my point - if Barden is correct then why wasn't it included initially?

That is correct. I'm not sure why, you'd have to ask Edwina on that one. I'd hazard a guess though. My suspicions are that there wasn't a case for the airport to be in the zone, St Athan's is where the stuff happens normally, but after pressure from the airport they may have been persuaded to extend it. I'm not sure what benefits it will have on the airport itself mind. Unless there is a loophole that means they can lower ADP without getting it devolved.

Jantra
@SP

Sorry for the confusion. My point was confirming that the aviation enterprise zone is the one in the Vale of Glamorgan, whereas the DfT report said it was the Cardiff enterprise zone.

I think it was originally just St Athan, but was then extended to include the airport.

@ Barden

I don't think there is any confusion. Cardiff Enterprise zone has absolutely nothing to do with this whatsover. I understand that.

My concern is that when the aviation enterprise zone was set up initially, it did not include the airport and just included St Athan.

I want to know who sanctioned this and why as it is blwdi madness.

BBC Article

it would appear as if Veuling are looking to add moire flights to CWL. What is interesting in this article is that one third of bookings are made in Spain...

WG/WTB/whoever need to understand this market and very much try and promote it in whatever way they can.

this is good news

Jantra
BBC Article

it would appear as if Veuling are looking to add moire flights to CWL. What is interesting in this article is that one third of bookings are made in Spain...

WG/WTB/whoever need to understand this market and very much try and promote it in whatever way they can.

this is good news

This.

Jantra
BBC Article

this is good news

Good news, but...

It's only the Barcelona route where a third of the bookings are from Spain. In case people don't know Barcelona is a hub airport in Spain which might explain the large number of bookings originating in Spain.

Trouble is this coupled with the Barcelona route being downsized to a A319 from an A320 due to low passenger numbers seems to confirm that Cardiff is very much a bucket and spade airport.

Being a bucket and spade airport isn't a bad thing just so long as the airport operators and WAG realise this and build on the strengths instead of trying to make it something it isn't.

This story realistically just means that Barcelona is struggling to fill seats* whilst Benidorm etc are doing ok.

The new route that might get added on will probably me Malaga. It's effectively a return to the old BMI holiday routes.

*Am I being an arithmetical dipshit - I can't get those numbers to add up properly - 6,200 passengers in July on a 180 max capacity plane which flies 3 times a week?

Cardiff Airport seem to be claiming that Helvetic are still at Cardiff. They are in fact ceasing operations at Cardiff and concentrating on their Bristol route

full plane = 360 pax over two legs. 3 times a week is 1080. 4 week month = 4320

perhaps they have passengers on the wings

Exactly - and that's with a totally full plane which clearly is not the case as mentioned in the article.

On the basis of those PAX, they'd be considering either a bigger plane or running the service more frequently.

its good to see that Carwyn the Caring and his committee of Excellence is having an effect on the pace of change at the airport

change

it is also interesting to note that pax numbers for the first part of the year are 440k compared to 558k the year before. At this rate less than 1m pax per annum will travel from Wales International airport. I am pretty sure WG will suggest this gives us greater opportunity in future years to grow the existing pax base.

It really does make you wonder what the Labour led WG were doing from 1999 to about 2012? They are useless, totally incompetent and really should all do the decent thing and resign en masse, giving the jobs they do to meithrin at my sons school - who really couldn't do a worse job.

Could any of the usual labour/WG apologists try and justify the existence of WG and more importantly, have Labour done anything good for Wales' long term economic health?

Jantra, it has been known for quite a while that they were pulling out. Your constant attacks on the Welsh Government are starting to get extremely tedious and predictable. Change the record

SP
Jantra, it has been known for quite a while that they were pulling out. Your constant attacks on the Welsh Government are starting to get extremely tedious and predictable. Change the record

are you saying that we should not hold this (or any) government to account and just simply let them get on with their incompetence?

Welsh Labour led WG have been very poor for Wales - certainly with respect to economic development. You may find that extremely tedious and predictable whereas I do not. What is predictable is that Wales is falling further behind the rest of the UK and WG have no idea how to stop the rot.

indicentally, it matters not if this is old news or not. you may try and hide behind that fact but the fact remains that yet again, CWL is falling further behind Bristol. From a standing start of similar positions in or around 1999 BRS has pulled ahead of CWL to a position that CWL will never recover from. Of course the management of each airport has something to do with this but you have to ask why WG have taken so long (this year) to realise there is an issue and to start any sort of activity to resolve it.

You may find that predictable, i think it is an injustice.

It is like when you renovate an old crumbling house. You enter in and out of the same door whilst replacing, decorating the rest of it. You start with the kids bedrooms, the visitor rooms moving onto maybe the bathrooms, then the living rooms then finally your own room and then you think, "Christ that hallway needs something" and you realise it is a bit crap but it has fallen further in disrepair whilst the rest of the house is being put right but you eventually make a start but the neighbours reckon its all a bit A about T.

Maybe not!

Could people stop referring to the "Assembly" as the Welsh Government, this gives them a sense of importance they just don't have!

Governments make decisions on Tax/Jobs/Foreign Policy.

Where as the "Assembly" talks about things.

I had to put in a FOI to find out why there was not any progress on replacing the Brynglass tunnel lighting and removing the temporary speed limit. This being over ayear since the fire.
Mr Seargent (he of the rough bouncer look!) and his department just ignored my e-mails.

The answer from the FOI request was; the tunnels don't come up to EU spec' so they can't award a contract unless the other work is done first.

The main areas the Assembly have powers in are:

Health; Build a hospital at every second junction on the M4 and then have to work out how to pay for them later

Transport; don't really need to argue this one

Education; insist all Welsh grades are raised to compensate for the below average students, if this fails invent a new Welsh syllabus and give everyone A's

I wondered why they removed the 'International' from the airport's name. Now I know. This airport will end up as a base for the local flying club and sightseeing trips round the area. Book here!

I used to use it but there's no point anymore. I go to Bristol whenever possible otherwise Heathrow/Gatwick - book a hotel and extend my holiday!

RIP Cardiff Airport....

Jantra, Cardiff airport is a private company. The failure there is down to bad management by Mr. Duffy. The news that the Zurich link would be stopped is old news now. It has been known for a while that the serbice was to stop. Carwyn's group was set up to late to do anything about it. The flight has even been stopping over at Bristol for most of its life.

Zack, the Welsh Government is Labour and the Assembly is the administration. Just like the tory led Government in Westminster and Parliament

SP

I am aware of the legal ownership of CWL - TBI/Abertis. Duffy has gone. However, that does not stop us wondering what WG were doing from 1999 - 2012 when, in that time, CWL's pax have more than halved whereas BRS's have more than doubled? You can blame bad management - I certainly do. But you have to ask if everyone in Wales could see what was happening, why did it take Carwyn the Caring and his minions so long to work out something was not quite right?

have a look at Ringway airport - state owned (well certainly owned by the 12 local mancunian councils). This goes to show that CWL could - and should - have been taken forward by VoGC/CCC and others with some sort of assistance from WG. But no, instead we get populist policies and economic stagnation - which - for some reason you want us all to ignore and pretend the flowers are in bloom all over the garden.

I will let you in on well kept secret - under Labour no child in Wales has ever gone hungry and the sun has shone every day.

WG and Welsh Labour are useless. The sooner the electorate realise it the better.

Jantra,

I don't have the answers to why it took them so long to realise that something was a miss. I'm not sure what the relationship between Arbetis, Cardiff Airport and Cardiff Bay is or was. As far as the Duffy was concerned there were no problems at Cardiff. He was fiddling whilst his airport burnt. The problem I see with the airport is that there is no cohesion between VisitWales, Cardiff&Co, the VoG, CCC, WG and Cardiff Airport.

Let me tell you a hard truth too Jantra. Under the Torries our debt aa increased, we have slid back into recession and are at a point where it is going to be extremely difficult to claw our way back out of this.

SP
Jantra,

I don't have the answers to why it took them so long to realise that something was a miss. I'm not sure what the relationship between Arbetis, Cardiff Airport and Cardiff Bay is or was. As far as the Duffy was concerned there were no problems at Cardiff. He was fiddling whilst his airport burnt. The problem I see with the airport is that there is no cohesion between VisitWales, Cardiff&Co, the VoG, CCC, WG and Cardiff Airport.

the above is why, quite correctly, I am suggesting that Welsh Labour are a joke.

SP

Let me tell you a hard truth too Jantra. Under the Torries our debt aa increased, we have slid back into recession and are at a point where it is going to be extremely difficult to claw our way back out of this.

the debt was always going to rise under this (or any government). The deficit is being reduced to (near) nil over this parliament, not the debt. the two are not the same.

We would have been in recession no matter what, we are too intrinsically linked to Europe to have escaped their own economic issues.

I discussed this the other day with Gareth, our economy needs rebalancing, not just a stronger private sector and smaller public sector, but we also need to stop the inter generational theft of providing everything for the baby boomers at the expense of tomorrow. that is the real issue that this government needs to tackle.

But it isn't under their remit. Cardiff Airport is a private sector company. They should eother be nationalised or dissolved and a new airport be constructed where it was previously planned.

As far as recession is concerned. Germany, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and many more are not in recession. Why should we have slipped back?

Why should we have slipped back?

I will give you 6 reasons why Wales has slipped back, I can only think 1 reason for!

Not all doom and gloom, launch city for 4G, eat that Manchester!

4G coverage in London, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol is currently being tested ahead of launching in "weeks".

SP
But it isn't under their remit. Cardiff Airport is a private sector company. They should eother be nationalised or dissolved and a new airport be constructed where it was previously planned.

As far as recession is concerned. Germany, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and many more are not in recession. Why should we have slipped back?

Transport certainly is wg's remit. Ring way wAs private sector until a local council consortium took it over.

Europe is pretty much in recession, even those you have mentioned have all struggled. Germany, merkel in particular, is fighting to keep the pigs In the euro - why is that?

But you cannot blame Labour for it. If Wales were Conservative they would have left it to the free market anyway. So, I'm not really getting your point.

Without the P.I.G.S the euro couldn't exist. This would force Germany to return to the mark increasing their costs and destroying their manufacturing sector. They may have struggled, but they are out of recession now and things are looking better for them. Britain being one od the stronger European economies should not be where it is. Germany and Holland are some of our biggest trading partners.

Cardiff Wales Airport was doing just fine when it was a council-owned facility, but then it got flogged off to private sector spivs by Jantra's mates in the Tory Colonial Office. The rest is history.

The good old days, eh Jantra?

SP
But you cannot blame Labour for it. If Wales were Conservative they would have left it to the free market anyway. So, I'm not really getting your point.

I do blame Labour as WG are responsible for the economic development of Wales. WG should have used the greater resources and powers at their disposal than SWRDA and ensured that BRS were never in a position to better the CWL offering. They chose not to for whatever reason, preferring the grand populist policies of Rhodri Morgan instead of reform that would differentiate us from South West England for the better. Why not develop the M4 relief road? why not ensure direct trains to the SWML? why not create an enterprize zone for the airport 12 years ago, offering free business rates if certain pax numbers are met (the legality of the last one may be called into question but surely you get the idea).

SP

Withot the P.I.G.S the euro couldn't exist. This would force Germany to return to the mark increasing their costs and destroying their manufacturing sector. They may have struggled, but they are out of recession now and things are looking better for them. Britain being one od the stronger European economies should not be where it is. Germany and Holland are some of our biggest trading partners.

I'm not sure what the point of the first part is here, you seem to be agreeing with me that the cost of the PIGS leaving the euro will hurt Germany more than the cost of keeping it in.

As for the 2nd part - the UK's economy was built on sand for the past ten years: demand was driven by borrowing and not output created wealth. The government borrowed £100bn (over and above its normal borrowing requirement) between 2003 -2008 pumping into the public sector bloating the workforce by 1m. A public sector worker doesn't actually create output. This workforce went and leveraged up and the nation became free wheeling spendocrats - except we were buying ipods and bmw's and as such all the borrowing was actually flowing out of the UK leaving little wealth behind to pay the borrowings back. To suggest the UK has a strong economy is not quite correct. The UK is adjusting itself back to the long term trend. We also have the double whammy of not only are the borrowings taken out of the economy due to no further borrowing being undertaken, but the funding to pay the initial borrowing back is also removed from stimulating demand. The issue is now structural not cyclical - the UK has far too much debt and it really has to pay it back. We spent yesterday what we are earning today thus we do not get the benefit of our output today.

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM