CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author
Comment
Re: City Centre Retail

Is it possible that rents were too expensive to begin with?

Edit

Looking at it Abercrombie and Fitch only has one outlet in the UK. Not sure if they're expanding but outside of America they like to keep an air of exclusivity with only a few branches on the continent. In fact, London was the only European store for a good period of time. It is highly unlikely that they would want to go to Cardiff for these reasons.

I was just going to post about this too...

The rents back in 2007 were the going rate at that time. Demand was more bouyant, and Cardiff had quite a lot less prime retail space to choose from (basically Queen St, Capitol Centre and (most of) St Davids 1). £70,000 from Pret still equates to a capital value for the unit of something like £1.2 million, which isn't too bad.

In terms of the retailers, I don't think Abercrombie or Espirit are a surprise - the former for reasons mentioned by SP, and the latter, because I think they do pretty poorly in the UK. Forever 21 have scaled back their store opening plans considerably, but I would have thought Cardiff would be a good market (lots of students, and low-mid income but fashion conscious young people). And Uniqlo would probably find a market among people wanting good quality basics that a bit more interesting than Gap.

But I do think Cardiff has performed poorly in recent years. For a long time it had resisted the out-of-town plague that has ruined Swansea and Newport. But it looks like it might be succombing to problems. And whilst part of me wants to see the new 'town centre' in Talbot Green come to fruition and be successful, this could further damage Cardiff, especially if parking is free (which I imagine it will be).

My guess is people are shopping less in Cardiff - in part because money is tighter, in part because of improved out-of-town offerings in places like Talbot Green, Cyfarthfa Retail Park, West Newport, Culverhouse Cross etc, and in part because some were driven out of the city centre by the extotionate charges for parking during 2006 - 2009 when NCP had a virtual monopoly on car parking, and who've never come back.

RandomComment
The rents back in 2007 were the going rate at that time. Demand was more bouyant, and Cardiff had quite a lot less prime retail space to choose from (basically Queen St, Capitol Centre and (most of) St Davids 1). £70,000 from Pret still equates to a capital value for the unit of something like £1.2 million, which isn't too bad.

Even in 2007 £70,000 was a far more realistic rent than £224,000 for a unit the size of Pret/Oasis. Such a crazy price was never going to be sustainable.

I remember getting told during Peacocks' administration they were trying to negotiate themselves down from a stupidly high £700,000 a year rent on their Queen Street branch, but the landlords wouldn't budge, so it was closed.

RandomComment
But I do think Cardiff has performed poorly in recent years. For a long time it had resisted the out-of-town plague that has ruined Swansea and Newport. But it looks like it might be succombing to problems. And whilst part of me wants to see the new 'town centre' in Talbot Green come to fruition and be successful, this could further damage Cardiff, especially if parking is free (which I imagine it will be).

My guess is people are shopping less in Cardiff - in part because money is tighter, in part because of improved out-of-town offerings in places like Talbot Green, Cyfarthfa Retail Park, West Newport, Culverhouse Cross etc, and in part because some were driven out of the city centre by the extotionate charges for parking during 2006 - 2009 when NCP had a virtual monopoly on car parking, and who've never come back.

I was actually on a course today and overheard two of the ladies talking about shopping in Cardiff. Both said they couldn't be bothered with the fuss of parking in town and preferred to travel to Llantrisant and were saying it'd be great if we had something like Cribbs. Personally I'm delighted we've no such thing, I'm very much against out of town shopping.

This is totaly subjective but the city centre doesn't feel any less busy to me than it did a few years back. I suspect the problems are more to do with over supply of units due to SD2 and the state of the economy rather than any drop in footfall.

I would have thought that any increase in competition from OOT centres would have been largely off-set by the decline of traditional town centre competitors like Barry, Newport etc.

I'm not aware there has been any reduction in footfall in the City Centre. Quite the reverse in fact, at peak times on the weekend it can be really difficult to find a parking space.

Lyndon
I'm not aware there has been any reduction in footfall in the City Centre. Quite the reverse in fact, at peak times on the weekend it can be really difficult to find a parking space.

Extended Oxymoron alert!!??

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. A new Tesco Express is opening on Wood St under St David's House on Wednesday.

Thank god, there's a distinct lack of Tesco Express stores in town.

Imagine it'll be patronised mainly by drunks and tramps, much like most Tesco's

Shame it's not one of the more attractive supermarkets i.e. Sainsbury's, but shouldn't look that bad really, certainly better than what uit replaced.

Someone take some photos!

Any other news on this area?

Walking down Queen Street I was quite surprised to see the extent of the work on the old Woolworths/BHS store. the entire frontage has been demolished and the rest of the store has been gutted. Personally I thought the old frontage was quite attractive in a 1950s sort of way. Does any one know what Primark are planning?

To be honest I thought it had had its day... and besides Primark aren't ones for conservation... When is this due to open ?

Link says "This document is unavailable for viewing at this time."

That's odd, copied the URL from the Pdf?!

Ash
Walking down Queen Street I was quite surprised to see the extent of the work on the old Woolworths/BHS store. the entire frontage has been demolished and the rest of the store has been gutted. Personally I thought the old frontage was quite attractive in a 1950s sort of way. Does any one know what Primark are planning?

The plans are actually quite impressive:

Primark plans to remove all of the Queen Street frontage, and replace it with a façade inspired by the 1913 building, with the three storeys facing on to the street at the same level, rather than the upper floors being set back, and tall vertical windows. It will be finished in the original limestone, contrasted with black granite.

Primark says it hopes to create a finished building that “pays respect to the heritage of the street”.

Work will also be carried out to the building’s disused Frederick Street entrance, with large display windows, and replacing the “shabby” slates with stone detailing to match the front of the store.

The planning documents also reveal that Primark plans to take over all five storeys of the BHS building, with the first three floors creating 85,824 square feet of retails space. The fourth and fifth floors will be used as for stock rooms, staff areas and service areas.

Well on the face of it, this sounds potentially rather marvellous news. From the net I've gleaned that 'Woolworths first opened at 50-54 Queen Street, Cardiff in Summer 1913; it was extended in the 1930s and substantially rebuilt and modernised in 1960-61'.

This pic is from the 1940's

OLD WORTHWORTHS.... NEW PRIMARK 

Vodafone will be opening an 'exciting new store' in 59-61 Queen Street, where M&Co (a women's fast fashion retailer) currently trade from. The two stores in St Davids evidently aren't enough for Vodafone!

I'm surprised by the continued success and, indeed, expansion of phone shops. I thought more people would be doing things online, or over the phone as they 'upgrade' at the end of contracts. Seems a lot still go into stores though.

The 'Paddy Power' signs are now visible on the old Bauhaus unit on the St Mary St indoor market entrance. Yuck. Needless to say it doesn't really carry the character of the building.

I can't understand the Vodaphone thing. M& Co must be moving elsewhere as I haven't seen any closing down signs and they appear to be advertising for staff. Perhaps they will move into St Davids?

Mixed feelings about Paddy Power. They have taken down that awful H Samuel sign and exposed some more of the ornate brickwork (which means that above ground floor level both sides of the market are now symmetrical). However the gaudy green livery is really quite offensive.

Talking of offensive livery a sign and awning for the new Barbucci Indian restaurant has now been erected (it's on the old Pizza Hut unit in High Street) and it's canary yellow. It looks bloody awful.

Agreed.

Me
The 'Paddy Power' signs are now visible on the old Bauhaus unit on the St Mary St indoor market entrance. Yuck. Needless to say it doesn't really carry the character of the building.

Due to open Friday, it's a shame there are more bookies than banks on the High Street these days but at least it's not another Ladbrokes, Coral or Betfred

can somone takes pics?? thanks!

Karl

Talking of offensive livery a sign and awning for the new Barbucci Indian restaurant has now been erected (it's on the old Pizza Hut unit in High Street) and it's canary yellow. It looks bloody awful.

How the hell did they get planning permission for that? I though High Street was trying to go upmarket?

Lyndon
Karl

How the hell did they get planning permission for that? I though High Street was trying to go upmarket?

Perhaps they don't?
Paddy Power have previous with this sort of thing...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8575992.stm

They definately had an application in...

I don't think anyone has mentioned this before on the forum - Morrisons are opening in the former 'sports unit' on the St Mary St corner of Caroline St.

Wizard
I don't think anyone has mentioned this before on the forum - Morrisons are opening in the former 'sports unit' on the St Mary St corner of Caroline St.

So town now has (from memory):

4x Tesco Express, 3x Spar, 2x Sainsbury's Local, a Morrisons and a Little Waitrose, not to mention countless little newsagents and corner shops.

The supermarkets are taking over...

I can remember a time when on this forum we used to complain the city centre had too few options for buying food, especially late in the evening for people who lived in town. There was the Sainsburys on Queen Street, M&S and the market, none of which stayed open very late. I'm now going back to when we looked forward to the John Lewis having a food court on the ground floor, when SD2 was still a hole in the ground. I think it is an improvement that there are now more places for general household shopping in the evenings, but we now seem to be overserved with places to get corn flakes.

Me
I can remember a time when on this forum we used to complain the city centre had too few options for buying food, especially late in the evening for people who lived in town. There was the Sainsburys on Queen Street, M&S and the market, none of which stayed open very late. I'm now going back to when we looked forward to the John Lewis having a food court on the ground floor, when SD2 was still a hole in the ground. I think it is an improvement that there are now more places for general household shopping in the evenings, but we now seem to be overserved with places to get corn flakes.

Not taking away from your point me - and indeed I remember a friend of mine who lived in westgate street flats used to have to walk to the garage at the end of cathedral road for supplies on evenings and sundays!! But... wow this forum has been around a while!! I started it in celebration of the news of an exciting development planned for wood st!! still I vow to keep it going until we actually get something on that plot!! - so I guess we'll be here for sometime yet eh!!

Not really to do with food outlets in the city centre opening late. I have mentioned before concerning the former Queens West Shopping Centre - opposite Queens Arcade. I wrote to Cardiff Council who said that both developments are owned by the same company! Queens West does let the top end of Queen Street down, i do think this should be re-developed as a shopping centre - most of it is not used and blocked off. It could be re-developed with an anchor store such as Selfridges or Harvey Nicols - we are in a downturn however Cardiff has bucked the trend - SD2 as an example - the footfall through the many retail areas of the city centre prove this. An ideal investment opportunity in my opinion.

Jon T Pierce
Not really to do with food outlets in the city centre opening late. I have mentioned before concerning the former Queens West Shopping Centre - opposite Queens Arcade. I wrote to Cardiff Council who said that both developments are owned by the same company! Queens West does let the top end of Queen Street down, i do think this should be re-developed as a shopping centre - most of it is not used and blocked off. It could be re-developed with an anchor store such as Selfridges or Harvey Nicols - we are in a downturn however Cardiff has bucked the trend - SD2 as an example - the footfall through the many retail areas of the city centre prove this. An ideal investment opportunity in my opinion.

I'm not sure Queen's West every really worked as a shopping mall. The fast food court seemed to be a success though as was the one in the Capitol. I'm surprised neither lasted

I think it could work - minus the food theatre that was originally on the top floor, if an upmarket department store was located there - it would bring in the shoppers.
BYW - does anyone have any updates on BHS I undersand they were looking for new premises 6 months after the old store closed - i wonder if they will take over the Primark shop opposite......................

Me

Absolutely. It's astonishing how, little over a decade ago, there was next to nowhere to go to buy groceries in Cardiff city centre. I could never fathom why Cardiff was so invisible to grocery retailers. It's certainly all changed now. In fact I am now surprised that they keep coming when there is probably over-supply in the marketplace!

I think one reason they are coming is because they can't get the out-of-town space they previously used to go for. This means that to serve the growing market (higher population, people trading up to more premium products, which seems to be happening again), they need to open a growing number of smaller stores. Some of those are neighbourhood stores where people live. But, some of those are city centre stores where people work, where they can get their lunch from, or where they can nip to after work before going home. This means what looks like an oversupply given the residential population of the city centre might actually reflect a shift in food shopping away from the biggest superstores back to smaller stores closer to home and work.

From what i hear its purely down to money, supermarkets make more money in smaller stores than larger ones, if you think of the massive tesco on Western Ave half of the floor space is homewares and electrical, which people buy online and have delivered. So thats half a store making no money and costing to run.

Jon T Pierce

BYW - does anyone have any updates on BHS I undersand they were looking for new premises 6 months after the old store closed - i wonder if they will take over the Primark shop opposite......................

I seem to remember someone saying the Primark planned to use both sites. Difficult to think where BHS would go - I can't see them paying SD2 rents - maybe somewhere in SD1 or Queen's Arcade?

I had a shock when I saw the current state of the old BHS when I walked past today. It's a near total demolition job really isn't it? All that currently remains are the original pilings and a roof!

I felt the same. It seems pretty much a new build.

Me

Was there originally planned to be a food court in John Lewis then, or was it all just supposition? If so, a shame that got canned.

I think it was food hall (ie a John Lewis branded Waitrose) rather than a food court.

Fat Face have closed their outlet in the Capitol centre. No surprise there.

I went in there the other day and the ground floor is not looking as bereft as it once did although there are still a number of empty units and units occupied by what look like temporary operations. Tesco, Pret and Poundland/Poundworld seem to have made a difference.

Ash
I think it was food hall (ie a John Lewis branded Waitrose) rather than a food court.

I seem to remember they were going to have a Waitrose food court on the ground floor - one plan I saw had it opposite where the Tesco Express now is - another had it right on the Hayes entrance (where the perfume counters are).

I think the council rejected the application in the end

Old stories about it:

http://www.retail-week.com/john-lewis-food-hall-targets-16325m-sales/120538.article

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/food-menu-john-lewis-2185311

Upmarket menswear retailer Dalvey is looking to expand and has instructed Harper Dennis Hobbs to help it find new stores across the UK.

Dalvey sells luxury men’s apparel and designer accessories and gift including watches, cufflinks and hipflasks. It has a flagship store on Dublin’s Grafton Street. It also sells its products on its own website.

It is targeting shops of 1,000-2,000 sq ft in high footfall areas in London’s West End and the City, as well as Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

Dalvey was founded in the Highlands of Scotland in 1897 as a bagpipe manufacturer. It now exports its wide range of products to the US, Europe, Oceania and the Middle East.

Two more units have been let in Barrack Lane - Magic Wrap (sandwich place) and Lollypop (not sure what they will be selling). Only two units left (assuming Waen Brewery ever actually open).

It looks like the development will be be let mostly to food places which isn't surprising given that Admiral and 3,000 staff are likely to be on their doorstep fairly soon.

There is a new plus sized shop in Capitol called "Taking Shape". It's an Australian chain and they are apparently launching 30 high street shops in the UKbefore Christmas.

I'm not sure it's going to do much for Capitol to be honest. It would've been a perfect fit ten years ago, but anything fashion is St David's domain now, or Queen Street at least.

I'm not sure it's a perfect brand fit for 'Taking Shape' either, next to a Soho Coffee and in sight of a gym.

Barrack Lane is seeing a handful of openings that, once complete, will leave it feeling more full than empty. There has been a hairdressers and sandwich shop for a few months now. Recently the Grazing shed (burger place) opened, currently a Magic Wrap (sandwiches) is being fitted out, there is a 'coming soon' advert for a childrens hairdressers, and an application for an alcohol license in another (I think we have discussed this before, it is from a small brewery looking for a outlet for its stuff if I remember rightly?). Still a couple of units with no evidence of movement.

I wonder why all this change of late? I wonder if there has been a change to the odd policy that they had that new tenants had to relocate after five years, or whether they have had an advertising push, or whether they have dropped their rates? I doubt that store owners are expecting the Admiral build will open soon and supply trade, it still looks some time off.

I'm surprised Barrack Lane has taken so long to fill. It seems Cardiff lacks the critical mass / population for minority destination shops - businesses that people will seek out because of particular interests.

I'm thinking of things like Catholic, Islamic & Welsh language booksellers, vegan cafes, goth and punk fashion, particular hobbies etc. Those sort of businesses do exist in secondary shopping centres and it's suprising none of them have bitten at the opportunity of a city-centre presence.

Might the reason for that be that such businesses operate 'on a shoe string' so to speak and couldn't afford city centre rental prices!?

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM