CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author
Comment
Re: Roath Basin

Why don't we give Zach and Carlos their own thread where they can angrily shake their walking sticks at Welsh speakers and threaten to set the dogs on them?

Lyndon
Why don't we give Zach and Carlos their own thread where they can angrily shake their walking sticks at Welsh speakers and threaten to set the dogs on them?

Syniad da! I am always baffled by people who object to Welsh signage. It costs next to nothing. International visitors like it. It's part of our USP. It seems to be more a pathalogical hatred rather than anything based on logic or reason.

Zach
Onid google cyfieithu wych!

Mae'r frawddeg honno yn profi nad yw "Google Translate" yn wych!

Beth sydd yn wironeddol ddiddorol i mi oedd bod cymaint ohonoch yn deall fy mhost gwreiddiol. Y gwir yw bod y rhan fwyaf o bobl yng Nghymru yn gallu gweithio allan pethau Cymraeg.

Most people educated in Wales can figure out written Welsh - in the same way most of us can figure out written Spanish or French - even if we've never had a single Spanish or French lesson.

It's simply weird that people who live in Wales think that Welsh is somehow different or inferior to any other language.

Above all, the anti-Welsh pathology of some people is very boring and should be confined to the South Wales Echo's comment section!

Ash
Lyndon

Syniad da! I am always baffled by people who object to Welsh signage. It costs next to nothing. International visitors like it. It's part of our USP. It seems to be more a pathalogical hatred rather than anything based on logic or reason.

Rather like changing everything to kilometres which was suggested by the EU (perhaps not very forcefully) a few years ago. Not it's here it would only cost money to change it.

Much of the Scaffolding has now been taken off the Media Centre

What fantastic architecture, Cardiff's Pompidou Centre me thinks

The bits that are designed to be eye catching are still under scaffolding, so lets give it a little longer before we put the boot in.

And don't forget that it is designed to be part of a very urban grid-based development. It looks a bit underwhelming on its own because its out there on its own. Eventually it will be just one of many buildings along the dockfront. I actually quite like its low-key nature. It actually looks a little like a converted old brick building in the picture (probably looks too shiny and new in real life for that to be the case thought).

I actually think it looks ok in the flesh. Its not going to win awards but it looks a decent enough build and the finish quality is good enough for what it is.

As Cambo says, its like an old converted warehouse

I think it is good to look ok. Looking at the poster on the fence in front of it it the long side will be facing another similar height building so it wont really be seen. However, the ends are open so there going to be quite sculptural.

The yellow cladding is going to be permanent is it?!? It's purple cladding on the other side IIRC.

Me
The bits that are designed to be eye catching are still under scaffolding, so lets give it a little longer before we put the boot in.

TBF it could have looked a hell of a lot worse!
I quite like it, simple and understated...

It's better than I thought it would be. It does, as has been said above, have the look of a converted warehouse about it. Considering where in the city it is I like the fact that they've done that.

I do hope they get on with the second building and we see some plans for further development but I have a feeling that they are holding out for the BBC Wales relocation. I don't blame them for that but worry that this building could be left all on it's own for a while, which would be a shame.

Does the BBC really want to move itself to such an obscure location? It's 20 minutes walk near enough from Central station.

Frank
Does the BBC really want to move itself to such an obscure location? It's 20 minutes walk near enough from Central station.

I'm guessing they're having to balance the public transport needs of staff against ease of access for operational vehicles. Central Square is obviously better for the former while Roath Lock provides the latter. It would also seem to make sense for the new HQ to be close to the drama studios and Hoddinott Hall. I can see the decision goin either way to be honest.

Frank

20 whole minutes? On foot? That's nearly a whole mile and a bit. Madness.

Rhodri
Frank

to be fair I can run to the studios from my house in Penarth in 18 minutes. You could jog from the station in about 8

Jantra
Rhodri
Frank

to be fair I can run to the studios from my house in Penarth in 18 minutes. You could jog from the station in about 8

indeed it's hardly undoable

''Do you know what, i actualy like it!...its much better than i thought and once the landscaping is done and other buildings go up around it i think its gonna be a good landmark...cant help but think that it could have easily been TWICE as high though, especially since the demand for office space there is obviously gonna be huge''

Barden likes it

Christopher Littley
''Do you know what, i actualy like it!...its much better than i thought and once the landscaping is done and other buildings go up around it i think its gonna be a good landmark...cant help but think that it could have easily been TWICE as high though, especially since the demand for office space there is obviously gonna be huge''

When I was talking about that with friends, I was told that it was already at the maximum height restriction level for the area. Don't know if that's true.

Maximum height? really? that may be true but if it is it would be a bit silly, just less than a mile or so away there are apartment towers in the bay that a much higher so thinking about it maybe it is wrong?....be good toknow for sure though..

I wonder if it's been agreed with the BBC studio's that nothing goes over a certain height within direct line and a given distance of the studios, to prevent it noticeably changing the skyline behind the sets.

I imagine Paddy Power would be straight in there, with a 100 foot advertisement over the roof of the casualty hospital, given half a chance.

Actually that would make a lot of sense yes, never thought of that TB honest...

Nothing major to report but:

1) A sign has gone up to sell the small plot of land where the Tube visitor centre used to stand (0.22 acres).

2) I think that they might be erecting permanent railings around along the Roath basin dock wall (Porth Teigr side). They are certainly creating a daily racket with some sort of pneumatic drill activity by the wall- so I'm guessing it's railings.

3) They have started to create a surface car park just behind the 'lock keepers cottage' ie on the left hand side as you walk over the bridge (Waterguard behind you).

4) They are still landscaping the area on the right as you go over the bridge (if this is a car park (as I had thought it was) then it's going to be the most luxuriously landscaped car park in Cardiff).There are small stone features contained within.This can't just be a car park, I must have it wrong.

5) They are attaching the external fittings to the front flank of the Media Centre building - it will be interesting to monitor progress on this one.

I thought there had been some kind of plan for a play area just over the bridge, with mini-golf or something similar. So the nicely-landscaped car park could be that. But I could be wrong.

The nicely landscaped area you think might be a car park was a bit of a discussion for us, we decided that there wasn't enough room between the trees and stone things to maneuver a car so is either the play area (unlikley as its too nice) or most likely just a landscaped area.

On their website its a landscaped park area. Cant believe im visiting this site in the philipines lol

Andrew (p)
On their website its a landscaped park area. Cant believe im visiting this site in the philipines lol

Keep up the good work - CardiffWalesMap is proud of you!! oh and anyone else in the phillipines... please have your say on this patch of land in cardiff bay!!

2014-02-18 12.13.26

New details like the canopy and wooden sections are installed

And here are some pictures from last weekend:

and

Porth Teigr

I really do like the end of the building. The sides are ok although as Cambo says these buildings are designed to be ultimately viewed end on

I really like the ends, and I actually think the building as a whole is pretty good - about as good as an office block can look anyway

It's bloody lovely actually.

I'm really curious about a couple of things with this development, particularly now this building is close to being finished.

The first is tenant related. Going back quite a while I'd read that they had quite a bit of interest in people taking space, but that was quite a while ago and I've not heard anything since on any space at all being taken.

The second thing is related. Interest was meant to be so strong in this first building that they were already considering a second, but this has gone very quiet so I'm assuming the apparent interest was either pure fiction or it evaporated, which means there are no plans for a second building any time soon.

Does anyone have any information ?

Yes, I like it. My questions are: how long will it be on its own (as it is intended to be one of several similar buildings), and, by the time other buildings are being built will the continuity of design still be retained, or, like Callaghan Sq, will they get a few buildings in and then decide to change the style thus losing the continuity (as is the case with the proposed new build that may or may not happen).

Still, good start.

on my run around the bay I've noticed that they have started on the public realm (footpaths and so on) on the other side of the water opposite Number 3 and Atradius (is it Bute Dock). The patch of land next to the water by the funky red bridge is going to be a children's play area and opposite is going to be a temporary (2 years) surface car park.

NB I also think the Media/Design centre looks much better close up. the brickwork is much better than any of the rendered new builds we have seen and hopefully igloo will keep up the standard with the rest. it really does look like a converted warehouse rather than a new build

Jantra
on my run around the bay I've noticed that they have started on the public realm (footpaths and so on) on the other side of the water opposite Number 3 and Atradius (is it Bute Dock).

I think you mean the Bute Dry Dock. That's the thin narrow dock off Roath Basin. There were / are Bute East & Bute West docks as well - but they are further north.

Ash
Jantra
on my run around the bay I've noticed that they have started on the public realm (footpaths and so on) on the other side of the water opposite Number 3 and Atradius (is it Bute Dock).

I think you mean the Bute Dry Dock. That's the thin narrow dock off Roath Basin. There were / are Bute East & Bute West docks as well - but they are further north.

that's the one. It doesn't look very dry to me

Remember the old black footbridge that first gave access to the barrage from Mermaid quay end, its now been placed across the dock in the south west corner of Roath dock to link up their footpaths they have been building. Saw a big crane there this morning.

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before but the plot of land where the 'Tube' visitor centre stood has been on sale for a few monrths now.

http://www2.coark.com/images/uploads/Harbour_Drive_Particulars_Oct_2013.pdf

I'm guessing sort of A3 use is the most likely development here - but it's a key site and the council (who I presume are the current owners) need to get the right developer.

How is the landscaping works going on around here? Is the car park open? Is the old new bridge in action yet? Have they finished the waterside landscaped area?

Is the new building itself looking finished yet?

All is finished over there, when HMS Dragon came in i walked around there (though it wasnt open) and a security guard said they were just waiting to hand it over to the council but wasnt sure when this would be.

The car park did open on the very weekend that the warship was visiting but was not open when I cycled past a few days later.

The paved walkways appear to be as good as finished and ready to accept pedestrians.

Unfortunately, most of the recently planted semi-mature pine trees on the landscaped patch (close to the Doctor Who exhibition centre) appear to have failed to adapt and are dying. There are substantial brown sections on nearly all of them .

Wizard
Unfortunately, most of the recently planted semi-mature pine trees on the landscaped patch (close to the Doctor Who exhibition centre) appear to have failed to adapt and are dying. There are substantial brown sections on nearly all of them .

It's this desert-like summer we've been having, my garden's looking like a scene from a Wild West movie already!

Wizard

Don't despair, pine trees loose last years growth during spring, carpeting the floor with dead needles. This years growth should now be appearing in the form of a new shoot on each branch.

Don't despair, pine trees loose last years growth during spring, carpeting the floor with dead needles. This years growth should now be appearing in the form of a new shoot on each branch.

Have a quick look at this website Mr Springwatch!

http://loseloose.com/

big yellow signs with the words 'glow xxxx' have appeared all around the new developdment, advertising the soon to be completed path.

I have to say in the summer evening sun the colours down their looked very vivid and quite attractive

big yellow signs with the words 'glow xxxx' have appeared all around the new developdment, advertising the soon to be completed path.

I have to say in the summer evening sun the colours down their looked very vivid and quite attractive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM