CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Cardiff Arms Park

Jantra
Frank
Me
This story is mostly about props at the Blues:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/cardiff-blues/2012/10/08/91466-31993067/

But I thought this line was interesting...

"following the move back to the Arms Park, season tickets are 60 per cent up, people are coming through the gates, the commercial revenues are up and our sponsorship and hospitality targets have been achieved."

Good to see that attendances are up. Sure Jantra will be pleased about that

spin!

whilst season ticket sales may be up 60%, the actual number of bodies through the door have increased by about 3% compared to what the Blues were getting at the CCS

Yes but the actual number of people who actually pay for a ticket is much much larger.

EDIT Sorry didn't see the previous post.

Good news.. Just shows how important history is in sports clubs (and having decent city pubs nearby that aren't full of football yobs ).

Alec - Radyr
Good news.. Just shows how important history is in sports clubs (and having decent city pubs nearby that aren't full of football yobs ).

Rhodri

Yes but the actual number of people who actually pay for a ticket is much much larger.

EDIT Sorry didn't see the previous post.

not sure what you mean by this Rhodri? Crowds have risen by around 3% (which is good). Are you saying more are paying now than when at the CCS? IE there were lots of freebies. If so then this is good too! More money for the club...

I meant nothing by it other than as you say good news. The move to CCS will haunt the club for a while and there is still a hell of alot of work to be done but it is a start

Rhodri
I meant nothing by it other than as you say good news. The move to CCS will haunt the club for a while and there is still a hell of alot of work to be done but it is a start

do you think business will get back on board regarding sponsorship?

it must also be a relief to only have to waddle 50 yards from the pub to the terrace

Jantra, you little scamp! Mind you I am sure even you can admit that the City Arms is better than the Sandmartin!!

I think that there are two main thrusts which the current set up are fighting against. One is trying to get back the support - sponsorship and actual punters - following the CCS era and secondly the WRU clearly not giving a flying toss - other than a basic duty of care - about regional rugby.

There is enough business and business types out there interested in rugby and being associated with it to give hope that things can be turned around. I think in this regard Cardiff City being in Premier League or Championship will have little effect - the football side will always be top draw in this area and the league they compete in has an appeal which is transnational and appeal to the bigger boys and so may leave the localish stuff to us (Ty Nant Water, DS Smith Recycling, Gelards etc etc. This may be enough.

The key as ever is on the pitch, it is here we will struggle for the next few years - due to a myriad of factors from the best players being away with the national side, to not having sufficient money (mainly due to handing it to CCFC) to attract the better players. What is refreshing so far is that people connected to the club generally feel happier and there is a smile to be had so fingers crossed.

Piece in the WM about ongoing discussions re Cardiff Arms Park -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2013/02/13/business-editor-sion-barry-reports-on-the-latest-in-plans-to-redevelop-cardiff-arms-park-91466-32797232/

It seems that negotiations have progressed but for those of us who were hoping this piece of land could be redeveloped into a new mixed use city centre area it looks as though disappointment is on the cards.

If the article is anywhere close to the truth and IF the deal goes ahead CAP will be redeveloped and will act as a home for the Blues, Cardiff RFC plus as a 'second' venue for the WRU. Some land may be available to sell for development but where or how much land is not mentioned in the article. It also looks as though 'Glanmor's Gap' will not be filled as it doesn't represent financial value.

I don't want to pre-judge matters but I will anyway. I see the dead hand of the WRU all over this. If it is sold to them can anyone realistically see CAP being redeveloped during the course of this century? The WRU have effectively overseen the main approach to the stadium being reduced to a shit tip. A concrete ramp with porta cabins on. The most recognisable building in Wales and their greatest asset. They didn't sell the land between the County Club and the old Post Office for development even when the property boom was on. And they still haven't been able to sort out a decent sign for their gift shop.

And if the WRU dither over redevelopment plans at CAP what developer is likely to build a hotel/resi/commercial if they don't know what will happen to the site and when?

So in conclusion my assessment is that the site will no longer be owned by the fossils at Cardiff Athletic Club but by the clowns at the WRU and the site will remain a lost opportunity.

You're bang on the money with the last few paragraphs. I would have thought that they'd be laughing all the way to the bank with the asset that they possess. In relation to what they paid for it, it's a steal.

In their defence, I did notice last weekend that the signage on the shop was much better than I remember when I last looked - unlike the shit cheap sign on the stadium itself!

I don't like the egg b*ggers but if we can restrict them to these 2 stadiums in the city then i'd be delighted. Could this only be realistically be achieved through the WRU owning both sites? Sadly I think so.

The dream scenario is to see the Arms Park developed as a 15-20k boutique rugby-specific-stadium that can be used for anything egg not full national side (Cardiff Blosers, U20's, Wales A, Welsh Varsity and Club Cup Finals) and the Mill Stad completed to a capacity of 80k, with a plethora of additional hospitality capabilities so it can host football's European Cup final amongst other major events.

That said, even if they did own both sites, would they realise it's true potential?

Commuter87
I don't like the egg b*ggers but if we can restrict them to these 2 stadiums in the city then i'd be delighted. Could this only be realistically be achieved through the WRU owning both sites? Sadly I think so.

The dream scenario is to see the Arms Park developed as a 15-20k boutique rugby-specific-stadium that can be used for anything egg not full national side (Cardiff Blosers, U20's, Wales A, Welsh Varsity and Club Cup Finals) and the Mill Stad completed to a capacity of 80k, with a plethora of additional hospitality capabilities so it can host football's European Cup final amongst other major events.

That said, even if they did own both sites, would they realise it's true potential?

What would be the true potential of these sites then?

"The Heineken Cup final will be played at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday May 24 while the Amlin Cup final will be held at the home of the Cardiff Blues, the Arms Park the previous night."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-host-heineken-cup-final-5118742

Is this good for the city? Are the dates pre-determined? Wouldn't it be better if they were on different weekends? Heineken gets much bigger gates than Amlin. Is the thinking people will go to both matches thus raising the take at both? Which one needs the other more? I'd imagine the hotels and bars would prefer them to be different weekends.

Me
"The Heineken Cup final will be played at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday May 24 while the Amlin Cup final will be held at the home of the Cardiff Blues, the Arms Park the previous night."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-host-heineken-cup-final-5118742

Is this good for the city? Are the dates pre-determined? Wouldn't it be better if they were on different weekends? Heineken gets much bigger gates than Amlin. Is the thinking people will go to both matches thus raising the take at both? Which one needs the other more? I'd imagine the hotels and bars would prefer them to be different weekends.

Yes it's good for the city. It's highly unusual for the Heineken and Amlin finals to be held in the same city, let alone next door to each other. Hotels would have undoubtedly liked them to be sepatate weekends, but beggars can't be choosers. It's also great for the Blues/CRFC, who are set to net anywhere between £50 and 100k as a result of the Amlin being played at the Arms Park.

Amlin / h cup finals in the same city is not a new thing. It's been done for the past 3 or 4 seasons since they rejigged the qualification for the amlin with seeds 5 thru 7 parachuting in from the h cup pool stage. Think it's an attempt to raise the profile of the 2 nd tier cup.

1 2 3
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM