CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
The Official Football League nPower Championship 2012/13 Season Bluebirds Promotion Thread

There, I've jinxed it. (or is it a double bluff!!?)

Promotion odds at this point in the season for a team have never been so bad for the punter (or is is good?).
Cardiff 1/6 on. Barnsley is 1250/1

Seriously, they are living a charmed life at the moment, every time they lose or draw the teams just below them falter as well.

Re: The Official Football League nPower Championship 2012/13 Season Bluebirds Promotion Thread

you were getting sevens yesterday - the odds are short that's for sure. we are living a charmed life - not playing well but still grinding out results

Re: The Official Football League nPower Championship 2012/13 Season Bluebirds Promotion Thread

Blackpool 1-2 Cardiff
Cardiff City beat Blackpool at Bloomfield Road to open a 10-point lead at the top of the Championship.

I hate this thread, I really do

Sad as I am to say it, I'm now more in the camp of wanting Cardiff City to go up for the economic and prestige benefits it will bring the area rather than a deep passion for the club..thats been ebbing away for me.

Am genuinely more passionate for Wales v Ireland in a few weeks now than City's run in...I'd have shot myself for saying that a mere two years ago.

James, may I ask why?

Rhodri
James, may I ask why?

James is not a fan of the rebrand. None of us are. It's tempered most fans' enthusiasm somewhat. Unlike James, I really couldn't care about the rugby

Thanks Jantra.

Bump!

Any good day at the office and we remain ten points clear of 2nd / 3rd place. Great stuff

another good day at the office - a game we dominated from start to finish. We just need to be more clinical in front of goal. one side is going to be ripped a new one sooner or later.

If we win on Tuesday we'll need 14 points from our last 14 games to get to 84 points. That will be enough this season for automatic promotion.

Jantra
another good day at the office - a game we dominated from start to finish. We just need to be more clinical in front of goal. one side is going to be ripped a new one sooner or later.

If we win on Tuesday we'll need 14 points from our last 14 games to get to 84 points. That will be enough this season for automatic promotion.

My calculations predict that to finish higher than third we will need 87 points. I hope that you are correct though.

Seems like around 500 Bristol fans decended on Wetherspoons (GWs) and caused a bit of a ruckus!

http://djleekee.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/football-bristol-fans-in-cardiff/

I havent seen this reported in the Welsh media at all yet!

Subsimian English nationalists. A pretty vile bunch to be avoided at all costs.

Isn't that what gws looks like on a normal Saturday night

As of the game tonight, I'm done with this filthy football club.

Sickened me to the core to see so many fans wearing their red scarves. They are entitled to do so.

The pro-red's won. No longer my club. The rest of you are welcome to it, but after years of emotionally investing in them I'm out.

I hope we go up now purely for economic reasons.

Vincent Tan, I will never, ever, ever forgive you.

I was there tonight and I was pretty shocked myself to see that by far the majority were wearing those red scarves - one of them certainly wasn't me! From tonights showing the emperor will have got the message that by far the vast majority of the fans are pretty much embracing his horrendous re-branding and therefore even compromise will perhaps be off his agenda. Maybe it was the 'abused spirit of Cardiff City FC' that stopped our many efforts on goal from going in!! or maybe his ridiculous belief that red is lucky slapped him in the face, either way EVERYTHING about tonight was a dissapointment. I am obviously still caring about the club as my first thoughts were getting back on track against wolves, but I will also have a breaking point, maybe the loss of the bluebird? all red seats next season? or god knows what other madness he's got planned?? In reality I suppose the killing off of us 'traditional' bluebirds is very little loss to him - oh what a reward for all the years of being a diehard fan.

It's an odd feeling Paul.

I've watched this team for years. I've argued tooth and nail for that club...against Man Utd fans, against Welsh rugby fans, and tonight my support just snapped.

I've been angry about the rebrand all season, but tolerated it to a degree, but the way things are turning now, it's just not a club I want anything to do with whatsoever.

But yeah, I just walked in, saw the pigs in the trough around the red scarfs, saw the abundance in the ground and just, I dunno, something went in me. It's over.. The club, and now it's fans is the epitome of what I dislike in football.

A very, very, strange feeling.

Its a real shame that there is no enough passion among Cardiff fans to make a pheonix cub - the City is surely big enough to have more than one club.
The rebrand is disgusting - is against everything a football fan should take pride in.

James
It's an odd feeling Paul.

I've watched this team for years. I've argued tooth and nail for that club...against Man Utd fans, against Welsh rugby fans, and tonight my support just snapped.

I've been angry about the rebrand all season, but tolerated it to a degree, but the way things are turning now, it's just not a club I want anything to do with whatsoever.

But yeah, I just walked in, saw the pigs in the trough around the red scarfs, saw the abundance in the ground and just, I dunno, something went in me. It's over.. The club, and now it's fans is the epitome of what I dislike in football.

A very, very, strange feeling.

I have complete empathy James. Odd feeling is definitely the right word, it's like being surrounded by so much that is just so wrong and alien and few others seemingly caring! and just behaving as if this behaviour is somehow normal - weird like a strange dream. In fact, and this shows my age but do you remember the twilight zone!!!
I think it helps me that I've gone to some away games this year and I find that this seems to give me more of a fix of our traditional club. But back at the CCS it's getting increasingly difficult to ignore the damage being done by one mans dictatorial desire to have it all his own way.

I didn't go last night and I haven't been this season. I've been on CCMB and I've read that most 'fans' seem to be embracing the red. There was a sad inevitability to it all given the way most fans rolled over and accepted the change at the outset. All this talk of having to accept the changes or we would go into admin or if it gets us to the Premiership we could play in pink spots for all I care (I think that was Neil Kinnock) had all the hallmarks of people trying to justify themselves. Reluctant reds I think they were called.

The colour change isn't the main issue. It's the way it has been handled. It's the way the club is being moulded into the image of one man on the basis of a veiled threat that if the fans don't go along with it then financial armageddon will ensue. It's also the craven way most of the fan base have accepted ultimatums and threats and taken whatever Tan wants to give them just to get to the promised land of a couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity (at best) in the Premier league. If success was the raison d'etre for following Cardiff City the club would have been packed up in the early 30's. If success is the only reason for following a football club lets just crack on with supporting Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona etc etc.

It seems that history, identity, community - which I erroneously thought were the ties that bound the disparate bunch of Cardiff fans together - don't actually count for much at all. In my outdated and clearly minority view I thought that was the greatest capital a club had, that when managers, players, owners move on it was that which was left. Silly me. It's all about money of course and whatever the man with the cheque book says goes. Although of course the debt hasn't been paid off yet and there seems to be no guarantee that it will.

I've always argued that the colour change was the thin end of the wedge and I will be proved right. The quietly dropping of the blue away kit, the bluebird being relegated to insignificance on the shitty new badge are just two examples. Wait until next season when the bluebird is dropped altogether, the red dragon gets a little bit more oriental, the blue merchandise in the club shop disappears, we are told the clubs new nickname is the Dragons, red seats in the stadium etc etc etc.

Frankly we are a laughing stock. An absolute joke.

Great post Karl, and I agree with you entirely. I do take solace from the fact that a great many feel the same way. The CCMB and Annis Abraham messageboards are full of these kind of posts today.

I slept on it last night, but I feel exactly the same this morning. I just do not like the club anymore. This must be how it feels when you choose to leave a bad relationship..it's been building up for a long time, and then finally you leave, and actually it's a sense of relief.

I'd be interested to know what Jantra thinks.

I think a city the size of cardiff needs all of it's fan base as a whole if it's to succeed in the premier league. And i can't get my head around the change. On the 1 side cardiff city wants to protect it's history and has worked hard to raise the funds to erect a statue of the great fred keenor. But on the other hand the colors that fred keenor, john toshack, Len davies and Phil dwyer once played for are no longer. Remember these players played for there clubs not for big finacial deals. They played for city for the love of there local team. Cardiff city, The bluebirds!

I can't believe it's so easy for a club to change there color and i'm concerned if more billionaires decide to buy clubs from the far east where will it stop.
Maybe the league can change it's name to red bull premire league. But just incase things go south better have the red stripe football league also...

James

I'd be interested to know what Jantra thinks.

I didn't go on Tuesday James. Imagine splitting up in this long time turbulent relationship but you really wanted to get back together and give it a go. so imagine going to her favourite watering hole only to see her in the arms of someone else....

I can handle us playing in red, I've seen us play in red, yellow, black, white and of course the occasional blue. I've been telling myself all season we are a unique club - the only football league club to adopt the american football kit system where we wear our colours away and our away colours home. I appreciate the scarves were free but still, i'd have expected a little less red than was on show.

I think the club I grew up with has gone forever. It is still Cardiff City, but she is now with someone else. I can still be friends but its not the same relationship. I'll still go down - it is the only occasion I get to see life long friends due to other commitments, but now the football is very much second fiddle to why I will attend.

There is an interview with Emperor Tan on the Beeb this evening. The snippets that I have seen on the Beeb website suggest that there will be further re-branding and that a change of name will not be ruled out.

He's also of the opinion that he can do this because only about 20% of the fan base are upset about the current rebrand and in business if you can keep 80% of your customer base happy you are doing fine. He also confirms that he hasn't converted loans to equity so effectively he is a creditor of the club earning 7% interest per annum.

That to me is an indictment of the so called reluctant reds who decided they would go along with the change of colour, the dropping of the Bluebird, the change of club crest because Tan was bank rolling the club to success. Effectively this guy thinks (probably rightly) that he can do whatever he wants and offers a veiled threat that if the fans are not nice to him he'll take his cheque book away and offload the club.

It was obvious by the way the rebrand was handled that it was always going to be the thin end of the wedge. Tan will do whatever he thinks is necessary to make a buck out of the club and the fans are collateral damage. He probably feels secure in doing so having seem first hand the lack of back bone of the majority of the fan base.

The reality is that he probably will go ahead and do whatever he wants and the stadium will be full with people who will either put up with it or just don't care.

I think Cardiff Dragons is a f@!king awful name and I doubt he'd get away it. What next, Manchester Monkeys?

This is different territory from changing the shirt colour, it's not an ice hockey team Tan!

One wonders what the current Cardiff Dragons FC make of this.

http://cardiffdragonsfc.co.uk/

This article is the tipping point for a lot of people Karl. Moreso than a shirt change. If Cardiff city play in red we are still Cardiff city even though we've sold our soul for silver. If you change the club Name then it's de facto a new football club playing at the ccs.

If it goes ahead then I'm finished with it.

Too little too late I'm afraid.

If Tan is balls deep into the club financially then he will do what he thinks he needs to do to get his money back and more. The re-brand, the further re-brand, talk of the Bluebird brand not having brought success, being ok with alienating 20% of the fanbase shows that he isn't averse to making major changes regardless of tradition. The name of the club is to him as disposable as the colour or the badge. It seems to me that by getting to the Premiership the club will be able to wash its face financially with the SKY money etc but the big dollars for Tan are in the Far East. That means only one thing.

If Tan isn't balls deep financially and his actual input is minor compared to his wealth he won't care if any rebranding alienates fans or destroys the club because relatively speaking it will be a minor loss for him. A punt that didn't come off.

But the above is somewhat academic because he knows a significant majority of the fan base and the potential customer base for Premiership football in the local area will accept whatever he wants to give them. Some will try and justify this by saying they have to do what he wants because the alternative is administration but I suspect most won't give a shit either way because they have been brainwashed into thinking getting to the Premiership is more important than anything else.

And haven't we been here before? When the news broke about the colour change last spring the internet was awash with indignation. The club retracted but it then went ahead anyway and most of the fans said it's only a colour, its still my club. Then the badge changed and they said it's only a badge, its still my club. Next the bluebird will be expunged. Then the name and finally what you have left is akin to Triggers broom in Only Fools and Horses - where he says he's had the same broom for 20 years, it's just had 10 different handles and 15 different brushes.

I just wonder if for once in the clubs history it a leader and not a follower and is at the vanguard of a brave new world? I wouldn't be surprised.

Triggers Broom

I have lived in M/cr. If I wanted to watch a team that wasn't called Cardiff City that play in red play in the premiership I could have done in when I lived there. The change of colour is one thing - teams change colours every so often (look at Crystal Palace) - however, changing a name is something altogether different and changes the club in its entirety

Just on the news that the Chairman ('TG') has resigned. Will this help make Jantra happy?

He's a different chap to Vincent Tan, who is pulling all the strings.

It's an intriguing time for him to retire..I'm not sure if there is anything to read into?

Whatif
Just on the news that the Chairman ('TG') has resigned. Will this help make Jantra happy?

not at all. Tien Ghee was a good guy and was totally against the rebrand from the word go. I met him and really liked him. You'll have more chance of finding rocket horse shit than finding a Cardiff City fan who didn't like TG.

will be missed

Bump!

Slowly getting there. 75 points, their finish in the 2011-12 season!!
27 points still to play for, at what point do you call it?
I reckon 90 points will see them top.

Good results all round.
Wales Win against England, Hull lose, Watford lose and Swansea lose

Wales Win against England, Hull lose, Watford lose and Swansea lose

I forgot to add....and Newport postponed. That's the story of life in Newport, always being postponed

They are not making it easy for themselves!

7 points clear of second (11 points, third) and 7 games to play.

Most of the remaining games against teams in the top half of the division.

I'd say that's being pessimistic. With hull playing watford tomorrow then Watford v cardiff next, promotion could be sown up next weekend. Winning the title really doesn't bother me.

The best odds you can get of cardiff getting promoted now is 1/50, so the bookies are fairly certain.

Zach
They are not making it easy for themselves!

7 points clear of second (11 points, third) and 7 games to play.

Most of the remaining games against teams in the top half of the division.

we are the only team to average 2 or more points a game. Lets assume Watford or Hull manage that over the last 7 games, Hull finish on 85 and Watford 81. One more win and a draw will see us up, two wins as champions.

we win next weekend, we'll be on 81 with Watford on 67 with 6 to play. They won't overturn that i'm pretty sure

So another inch closer. Must be quite close now.

Rhodri

8 ahead of Watford with a game in hand. Watford have five games to play to overturn between 8 or 11 points. We need 2 wins from 6 games imho

Jantra
Rhodri

8 ahead of Watford with a game in hand. Watford have five games to play to overturn between 8 or 11 points. We need 2 wins from 6 games imho

Excellent, so not quite at the stage of planning the bus tour yet but close enough to contemplate thinking about it? Hope it comes off you (and other football supporters who contribute on here).

The best odds you can get of cardiff getting promoted now is 1/50, so the bookies are fairly certain.

Most betting sites now totally omit odds on Cardiff getting promotion
Maybe Malky was taking out too much insurance.

Fergie to Malky;
"hay lad, yee need to get ole yer bases covered if yee don't get in, get your family signed up as agents if yee do" "yee also need to work on that nose colour sunny"

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/662482

WE have waited for a long time to see a football team with Malaysia emblazoned on its jerseys win 25 matches, draw eight and lose only nine. Malaysian-owned Welsh club, Cardiff City, is likely to finish top of the table in the English Football League Championship with a six-point lead and four games remaining.

It is the best time for the folks at Cardiff City and the people of Malaysia to be united in spirit and root for the same team.

YS Chan
Kuala Lumpur

Is it possible to extend the size of the ground? What sort of crowds could Cardiff get in the Premier League? 30,000 plus?

Frank
Is it possible to extend the size of the ground? What sort of crowds could Cardiff get in the Premier League? 30,000 plus?

yes, upwards of 35k within a few years of being there, yes

(in that order)

Should the point be gained and from what I have heard this should now occur, do you think there will be any pull from floating Swansea/West Country supporters? When I say floating I mean the kind of supporter who rides on the back of success and is only there to see the likes of Rooney, Drogba, Bale etc. how would this go down with the regular home and away rain or shine brigade?

news on Swansea doing exactly this type of stadium expansion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-22159360

I've heard all sorts of different rumours about stadium expansion at the CCS. Someone always seems to know someone "in the know" on these matters, the one I've heard from someone "in the know" is an 8,000 expansion before we kick off next season. If there's any truth in that then they'd have to get cracking pretty sharpish, still at least we won't have to wait til after the playoffs!! blimey what am I saying we still need another point!!! Anyway whilst here on the CCFC subject gotta say I'm very excited about the game on tues night - I hate the colour and the badge, but just couldn't kick the addiction!! and gonna get a big fix (hopefully!!) tomorrow night! BLUEBIRDS!

So without sounding Jantra - should not this thread have the name Red Dragons in it. The club played in red against Forrest right?

Bola Tew
So without sounding Jantra - should not this thread have the name Red Dragons in it. The club played in red against Forrest right?

without going all Bola Tew, shouldn't that be Forest?

notwithstanding that little point, you had the fans of the team playing in red singing 'the blues are going up' and you had the fans of the team playing in blue singing 'come on you reds'.

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM