CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Cardiff Bay

Thought I would share a panoramic image of Cardiff Bay I took today from Penarth.

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/126638

PS See if you can find Wally!

Re: Cardiff Bay

that's really good Johnsy

I wonder if we'll ever see the day where the city centre and Bay have some of integration? As good as the image looks, there is a clear separation of the two areas.

Johnsy
Thought I would share a panoramic image of Cardiff Bay I took today from Penarth.

PS See if you can find Wally!

Nice one Johnsy - that's the best panoramic I've seen! gonna pop back now to look for Wally!!

Nice pic of Cardiff Bay Mermaid Quay and the City.

Whatif
Nice pic of Cardiff Bay Mermaid Quay and the City.

can you see the big blue expanse of water in the foreground? That is called Cardiff Bay

If we just went off water, my filled bath could be Cardiff Bay! What happened to that expanse of blue water to the left of the bridge in the picture?That too forms part of 'The Bay'

Link broken? or my browser/OS

false true false false 6.0 3a66c2494079fcfc062f643e877c0aa9 true 2013-03-31T16:55:34-04:00 Panoramic of Cardiff bay taken from Penarth by Gareth Johns. 15.0 109.593 0.0 62.6531 0.0 3746 126638 jpg false true false 51.469897 8 -3.16345 Cardiff Bay --- {} 75103600.0 0.0 true 2013-03-31T00:00:00-04:00 0 90.0 2013-04-01T10:29:55-04:00 66038 354 true 20049

Ahh use this link...

Whatif
If we just went off water, my filled bath could be Cardiff Bay! What happened to that expanse of blue water to the left of the bridge in the picture?That too forms part of 'The Bay'

The houses got in the way

Beautiful shots!

I felt a wally searching for wally. Wally is to the right of cardiff yaght club just above a jetty.

I noticed some steel work i don't think iv'e seen before looks about 7 or 8 story's and it apears somewhere around the large stone building at the top of schooner way on the pic but i think it's closer to mount stuart square. Anyone know what development that is please?

Jefferson
I felt a wally searching for wally. Wally is to the right of cardiff yaght club just above a jetty.

I noticed some steel work i don't think iv'e seen before looks about 7 or 8 story's and it apears somewhere around the large stone building at the top of schooner way on the pic but i think it's closer to mount stuart square. Anyone know what development that is please?
I think you may be referring to this

nice 1 ty jantra.

Someone's got themselves a nice bit of kit - here's some aerial footage of the bay taken this weekend:

http://vimeo.com/64503083

Using a Parrot AR drone with a Go pro camera I see. The Drone is about £270 and the Go Pro camera about the same cost. Neat isnt it!

Like all model aircraft you need a licence. I presume you have to have special permission to operate outside designated areas.

I can't decide which was more tedious...the video or the piano-playing!

Beach coming to cardiff bay. I've seen the similar one in Nottingham. It seemed pretty rubbish to be honest. Tacky and covered in adverts. I seem to remember it had links to the local radio station and had a cheesy local radio feel.

Maybe this will be different. I'm sure it will be 'great for the kids'. July 27th- Sept 1st.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/300-tonnes-sand-create-urban-4331333

I like the sound of it, better than the square being empty, though i hope it isn't ticketed access and large hoardings around it!

I saw the sketches for the 'urban beach', and Barry Island popped into my head. I think it'll be very cheesy, and very garish. Gag me with a spoon.

Anyone with kids planning on taking them to it?

The one benefit of the 'urban beach' is that it will cover the surface in the Oval Basin. It is appalling. Grey concrete with tyre marks. I can't fathom what the powers that be were thinking when this was laid.

Also as an aside Mermaid Quay (especially the bit facing the Oval Basin) is looking really, really tired. It was no architectural beauty even when it was first built but now it's verging on embarrassing in some places.

Cardiff
I like the sound of it, better than the square being empty, though i hope it isn't ticketed access and large hoardings around it!

I'm hoping they put large hoardings round it and lock it...no need for tickets then!!

sorry, I couldn't think where else to put this...

has Jolyons Cardiff Bay changed part of the building to a Bangladeshi restaurant/eatery? I passed it yesterday when out in the velocipede and saw some sort of change but didn't have time to stop and get a proper look

Its a restaurant opening in the building between Jolyon's an the Eli Jenkins.

Is that the same Jolyons that is at Mermaid Quay?

I passed the side opposite the WMC yesterday and they have painted the front with a name - the duchess of Devon. Is this the same place? Seems an odd name for a Bangladeshi restaurant!

Its called the New Delhi restaurant, and they are making a pigs ear of painting it some weird red colour (i hope its an undercoat!).

Actually it's called the Duchess of Delhi. But good effort everyone.

http://duchessofdelhi.com

DaiB
Its a restaurant opening in the building between Jolyon's an the Eli Jenkins.

Cheers Dai

it threw me because I'm sure the beer garden of both Eli Jenkins and Jolyons are next to each other. It hand't occurred to me that there was a building in between. i thought it was all jolyons.

DaiB

Good to see - although the website seems a bit basic!

This Panorama of Cardiff is one of the best iv seen yet! its amazing, quiet a skyline, i think Cardiff needs maybe one or two much taller buildings though, perhaps something over 30 stories just to break up the skyline a bit....does anyone now how you can save the image?

Christopher Littley
This Panorama of Cardiff is one of the best iv seen yet! its amazing, quiet a skyline, i think Cardiff needs maybe one or two much taller buildings though, perhaps something over 30 stories just to break up the skyline a bit....does anyone now how you can save the image?

Cardiff is actually quite lowrise compared to say Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds. However, from the right angle (ie pretty low down) the tall buildings we do have really stand out.

Walking along penarth marina looking north you occasionally get a very good skyline. whilst this pic doesn't really do it justice, the view from around here is a very distinctive skyline that does sort of blend town with bay. the two Butetown apartment blocks off dumballs road certainly give the impression of continuity

DaiB

We got there in the end! Thanks Dai B

Christopher Littley

The photo's copyrighted but if you're after a print give me a shout.

I was wandering around and took a picture of the Duchess of Delhi. It looked as if the work was pretty well finished.

Re: Mermaid Quay

Thanks for the pic, Baywatcher.

Surely there never was a 'Duchess of Delhi'?

Re: Mermaid Quay

Nice to see the development of older buildings, Mount Stuart Square next please. Mermaid Quay is ok but there's no culcha!

I think the Indian you are referring to may be the distant relative of Sitting Bull. He has lived down Mermaid Quay way for years. I can't help you regarding his 'opening'. He's never mentioned it to my knowledge.

You may only park here if you have a maroon coloured car

How long has that restaurant been there?

HR62
How long has that restaurant been there?

it's a recent addition. and it also looks to be sensitive to its surroundings. it certainly looks like it fits in. I do like the way the colour scheme defines it to its neighbours

Wouldn't it be nice if there were many more terraces similar to Bute Crescent in the Bay? The juxtaposition with Mermaid Quay is stark to say the least.

They are quite a rare example of late Georgian/early Victorian houses in Cardiff. I think Charles St and Windsor Terrace are of a similar vintage. The original Loudon Square would have been a superb example of a similar type of architecture as well. Does anyone know of any other examples of Georgian terraces in Cardiff? I can think of some individual Georgian houses like the dentist in Whitchurch and the New House Country Hotel on Caerphilly Rd but not any terraces.

There is a small Georgian terrace on Bute esplanade - I think most of Butetown would have been similar to this type - as this picture shows.

57 tiger bay" />

Also quite similar housing stock to St Paul's in Bristol. Unfortunately just behind Bute esplanade is the type of dross that replaced it.

Much of the simpler buildings in Mount Stuart Square are also very Georgian.

As far as mermaid quay is concerned as much as i enjoy it i cant help but think how good it would look to still have the Powell Duffryn building. It was quite a grand looking building and was of the same terracotta colour/materials as the pierhead building. The two buildings would have stood proud like Cardiff's answer to Liverpool's 3 graces although on a smaller scale.

A couple of photos to illustrate

56982_2" />

docks" />

Isn't that merchant place/house/quarter? Or is it directly in front of it where mermaid quay is now (say coffee mania)

Jantra
Isn't that merchant place/house/quarter?

No, you can see Merchant place behind it in the bottom photograph.
Pity so much south of James St was demolished, combined with what survives it could have been similar to the Corn Street area in Bristol or The Barbican in Plymouth.

Thanks.

NB what were they thinking off getting rid of buildings that good looking

How lovely to see the paddle steamers in that last photo

Thanks Johnsy, i did notice after i clicked that you were a 'business' and you take these fantastic images for your site, id love to get a picture of Cardiff for my flat here in London, i shall have a look at your site soon and surely purchase something..thank you

What happened to all those lovely buildings? Were they bombed?

Mo
What happened to all those lovely buildings? Were they bombed?

Worse - demolished to make way for Mermaid Quay, the CBDC called it "progress"

I'm not sure that's totally correct. I thought the Powell Dyffryn building burnt down before the war. From my admittedly hazy recollection most of the area that now occupies Mermaid Quay was taken up by the Maritime and Industrial Museum which was not (as far as I can recall an old building).

Most of the older buildings in and around Mermaid Quay have been preserved - Techniquest, the Wetherspoons, what is now the Juboraj, Bute Crescent etc.

I think the damage had been done by the 1960's - long before Mermaid Quay was a twinkle in Nicholas Edward's eye. Maybe some of our more, erm, mature contributors can add some detail?

The Industrial & Maritime Museum building opened in 1977 and was located where Mermaid Quay is now. It was a particularly unattractive building.

http://www.cardiffians.co.uk/images/suburbs/maritime1977_small.jpg

Karl
I'm not sure that's totally correct. I thought the Powell Dyffryn building burnt down before the war. From my admittedly hazy recollection most of the area that now occupies Mermaid Quay was taken up by the Maritime and Industrial Museum which was not (as far as I can recall an old building).

Most of the older buildings in and around Mermaid Quay have been preserved - Techniquest, the Wetherspoons, what is now the Juboraj, Bute Crescent etc.

I think the damage had been done by the 1960's - long before Mermaid Quay was a twinkle in Nicholas Edward's eye. Maybe some of our more, erm, mature contributors can add some detail?

Partially correct - but the Maritime Museum had a much smaller footprint - at a guess I would say it would have been roughly from Ladbrokes to Gourmet Burger - and maybe to Cadwaladers in terms of 'depth' ... and on the other side Bute St continued on after The Packet to the Pier Head

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM