CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Are skies more blue over Cardiff than other parts of Wales?

This question has nothing to do with any CCFC rebrand arguments. Given that the sky is blue when the sun has risen and there isn't too much cloud cover, do posters feel that Cardiff enjoys more blue sky than other parts of Wales?

Re: Are skies more blue over Cardiff than other parts of Wales?

Data taken from our solar inverters here in North Cardiff reckon that between Feb 2012 and Mar 2013 we only had 30 bell curve days of completely uninterrupted sunshine! Sounds about right :(

Bev Bevan
Data taken from our solar inverters here in North Cardiff reckon that between Feb 2012 and Mar 2013 we only had 30 bell curve days of completely uninterrupted sunshine! Sounds about right :(

Slow down, sweet talkin' Bevan! I'm not a meteorologist or climatologist. Are skies here bluer (on average (mean or mode)) than other parts of Wales?
Which leads me to my second question. Does loving Cardiff City F.C. make posters happy when skies are grey? That is the colour the sky is most usually in Cardiff, during daylight hours, when it isn't blue. So I'd imagine being a City fan is a happy experience in Cardiff, but an even happier one in other parts of Wales (e.g. Aberdare) where skies are grey more often.

The only problem is that is produced by the Met Office and you can't believe a word they say!

Thanks Jeremy. Seems like most Welsh people live in sunnier areas than the average English, Irish and Scottish person does. Cardiff fans don't need to think about their club to cheer themselves up when skies are grey, as often as, for example Man City fans. Brilliant. Cardiff sees more sky that is the colour blue than any of our rival English core cities. I love facts such as these.

Are you on drugs?

If At First You Don't Succeed...
Are you on drugs?

No I am not. However, a certain very prolific poster on here may be on drugs. This would explain his penchant for arguing his side even when he has been presented with overwhelming and irrefutable proof that he is wrong. Drug abuse may explain why he insists on posting about the same subjects repeatedly across different messageboards ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

If that poster isn't on drugs, he may want to try some medication like Olanzapine.

Oh come on is someone taking the pee here?

Jeff Lynne asking about blue skies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Blue_Sky

Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

No I am not. However, a certain very prolific poster on here may be on drugs. This would explain his penchant for arguing his side even when he has been presented with overwhelming and irrefutable proof that he is wrong. Drug abuse may explain why he insists on posting about the same subjects repeatedly across different messageboards ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

If that poster isn't on drugs, he may want to try some medication like Olanzapine.

Still can't handle the sky isn't blue then.

Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

Is the sky blue, Jantra?

Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

Is the sky blue, Jantra?

No the sky is not blue. Sunlight is across the visible part of the em spectrum. Air is a colourless gas. The blue effect is called Rayleigh scattering. Blue light has shorter wavelengths and are this emitted the most. It is analogous to light shining through a prism.

So, on a clear, cloudless day, when people look up at the sky and see that it is blue, what colour is the sky, in your opinion, if it isn't blue?

Jeff Lynne
So, on a clear, cloudless day, when people look up at the sky and see that it is blue, what colour is the sky, in your opinion, if it isn't blue?

It's actually blue/green and not blue. By the way The sky is actually black. What you are observing is scattered sunlight in the atmosphere. How about sunrise and sunset, nighttime and cloudy days? What colour then?

Jantra
Jeff Lynne

It's actually blue/green and not blue. By the way The sky is actually black. What you are observing is scattered sunlight in the atmosphere. How about sunrise and sunset, nighttime and cloudy days? What colour then?

So the sky is blue/green and actually black? So which is it? Blue/green or black?
Presumably at sunrise/sunset it is red, pink or purple. Maybe a bit of yellow during a thunderstorm or mauve ooccasionally. But never actually blue. All because you say so. Actually.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne

So the sky is blue/green and actually black? So which is it? Blue/green or black?
Presumably at sunrise/sunset it is red, pink or purple. Maybe a bit of yellow during a thunderstorm or mauve ooccasionally. But never actually blue. All because you say so. Actually.

The blue/green reference was in reply to your claim you are seeing blue. You aren't - you are seeing blue/green. The reference to the sky being black is exactly that. If you exited the earths atmosphere the sky is black and the sun is white. Rayleigh scattering is responsible for the colouring of the sky, the air itself is colourless.

Jantra. The sky is blue. You are wrong

Here is a link to a NASA web page explaining why the sky is blue. It is a web page for CHILDREN, explaining why the sky is blue, because as all children know, the sky IS blue.

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/

Jeff Lynne
Here is a link to a NASA web page explaining why the sky is blue. It is a web page for CHILDREN, explaining why the sky is blue, because as all children know, the sky IS blue.

that is Rayleigh scattering - which is what I said it was. What is your point?

Jeff Lynne
Jantra. The sky is blue. You are wrong

if you look up today what colour do you see?

Jantra
Jeff Lynne

that is Rayleigh scattering - which is what I said it was. What is your point?

My point is that the sky is blue. You said that it wasn't blue. Read your posts above.

Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

See? You said here, and on CCMB that the sky isn't blue. You are wrong. Admit it.

Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

Is the sky blue, Jantra?

No the sky is not blue. Sunlight is across the visible part of the em spectrum. Air is a colourless gas. The blue effect is called Rayleigh scattering. Blue light has shorter wavelengths and are this emitted the most. It is analogous to light shining through a prism.

The sky is blue. You have said twice, on this thread alone that it isn't blue. Please give up now. You are making yourself look crazy and stupid.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Are you on drugs?

Is the sky blue, Jantra?

The sky is blue. You have said twice, on this thread alone that it isn't blue. Please give up now. You are making yourself look crazy and stupid.

Are you suggesting the Rayleigh scattering theory is wrong? What colour is the sky at night when there is no scattering light?

Jantra, the sky is blue. Rayleigh scattering theory explains why it is blue. The sky is blue at night too, a very deep indigo. The sky is blue.
You have been arguing over two messageboards and several days that the sky isn't blue, when it clearly is blue. Don't you realise that by arguing over this subject you are confirming that you are extremely argumentative and/or mentally ill? I am trying to help you here, you now need to help yourself.

A lot depends on what you define "the sky" as.

The atmosphere isn't blue, but the sky in most people's definition is what you can see above you when you are outside.
That, on occasion, is blue.

A slightly more interesting question is why isn't the sky violet?

Jeff Lynne
Jantra, the sky is blue. Rayleigh scattering theory explains why it is blue. The sky is blue at night too, a very deep indigo. The sky is blue.
You have been arguing over two messageboards and several days that the sky isn't blue, when it clearly is blue. Don't you realise that by arguing over this subject you are confirming that you are extremely argumentative and/or mentally the ill? I am trying to help you here, you now need to help yourself.

the sky at night is black. there is an absence of light, which is what defines black. sun light being reflected is what gives the impression it is blue/green. In absence of sunlight no light is being scattered.

NB I did not start this thread. You did. This is not me arguing either. This is me explaining a physical fact that is readily understood. The sky can take on different colours depending on what light is being scattered and the depth of the atmosphere the light has to travel through to reach your eye. You only need to look at the red sky at night to see this effect.

colour wolf
A lot depends on what you define "the sky" as.

The atmosphere isn't blue, but the sky in most people's definition is what you can see above you when you are outside.
That, on occasion, is blue.

A slightly more interesting question is why isn't the sky violet?

the sky isn't violet because the light that is scattered contains green light too. blue light measured at 400nm is more of a navy blue.

Jantra. The sky is blue. You have said many times that the sky isn't blue. Do you still think the sky is not blue? Please answer this question in one, brief sentence.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra. The sky is blue. You have said many times that the sky isn't blue. Do you still think the sky is not blue? Please answer this question in one, brief sentence.

Saying the same thing over and over isn't going to change the laws of physics

Jantra
Jeff Lynne

Jantra. The sky is blue. Do you agree with the statement "the sky is blue"?

Jeff Lynne
Jantra
Jeff Lynne

Jantra. The sky is blue. Do you agree with the statement "the sky is blue"?

I've already given my answer. You are a troll. Leave it there

Jantra. The sky is blue. You have said on many occasions that the sky is not blue. You are wrong because THE SKY IS BLUE. Nothing whatsoever that you say or write will ever change this fact.
You know that the sky is blue. Ask yourself why you are arguing that it isn't blue. Then, admit that you are wrong.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra. The sky is blue. You have said on many occasions that the sky is not blue. You are wrong because THE SKY IS BLUE. Nothing whatsoever that you say or write will ever change this fact.
You know that the sky is blue. Ask yourself why you are arguing that it isn't blue. Then, admit that you are wrong.

The sky doesn’t look blue in these photos.

Jantra, the sky is sometimes red, but most often blue, isn't it? Your claim that the sky isn't blue is utterly nonsensical, the behaviour of a MADMAN!
Trolling involves posting a contentious or inflammatory statement or question onto the web. I didn't do that.
I posted that the sky is blue, which it IS and you chose to troll by posting that the sky is not blue! Which is very contentious, isn't it?

Don't you realise that there are a growing number of people in South Wales who think that you are mad?
Do yourself a favour and leave the internet alone until you deal with your demons. You aren't making enemies; you are turning yourself into a widely derided figure of fun. You are certainly not making any new friends.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra, the sky is sometimes red, but most often blue, isn't it? Your claim that the sky isn't blue is utterly nonsensical, the behaviour of a MADMAN!
Trolling involves posting a contentious or inflammatory statement or question onto the web. I didn't do that.
I posted that the sky is blue, which it IS and you chose to troll by posting that the sky is not blue! Which is very contentious, isn't it?

Don't you realise that there are a growing number of people in South Wales who think that you are mad?
Do yourself a favour and leave the internet alone until you deal with your demons. You aren't making enemies; you are turning yourself into a widely derided figure of fun. You are certainly not making any new friends.

the sky isn't blue. you are seeing blue sunlight. you see blue because it scatters more readily than any other colour.

we are making progress though. earlier you said the sky was blue. now you have accepted it is also red. so that would indicate it can change colour. So my claim that the sky is not blue is therefore correct. Unless of course it can be blue and red at the same time. which it can't.

Jantra
Jeff Lynne

the sky isn't blue. you are seeing blue sunlight. you see blue because it scatters more readily than any other colour.

we are making progress though. earlier you said the sky was blue. now you have accepted it is also red. so that would indicate it can change colour. So my claim that the sky is not blue is therefore correct. Unless of course it can be blue and red at the same time. which it can't.

Okay. I linked to a NASA website in my post above which explains why the sky is blue. Do you have any links which back up your claim that it isn't blue?
I understand why the sky is blue. It is blue because that is the colour that it is. I know that it is sometimes red or pink. But, Jantra if you look at the sky and think it isn't blue, then you are probably alone in the world.
Remember, we are not talking about the atmosphere, or sunlight. "The sky is blue" means that the sky, which is eveything above the horizon, is blue during daylight, when it is visible beyond any cloud cover. Yes, it is shades of red sometimes near sunrise or sunset, but it is normally blue.
I await any links to any information at all that you can find supporting your (inevitably incorrect) claim that the sky isn't blue.
Maybe you could copy the link above into your browser in the meantime and visit the NASA web page explaining why the sky is blue. If you disagree with their statement or explanation feel free to share your opinion on here, or even with NASA.
I await your link (s).

I've already explained what you are seeing - you are seeing scattered sunlight. the sky - the background - is black as it has no light source. I don't like doing it, but this gives you a background of the phenomenon I've alluded to.

you may think the sky is blue, but it is not. in the same way you are not stationary or when you jump you push the earth away from you. you are merely observing a physical phenomenon.

Perhaps you can interject your response with a few more ad hominem attacks - they really add weight to your argument

Here is a quote from the second paragraph of YOUR link, Jantra:

"Rayleigh scattering of sunlight in the atmosphere causes diffuse sky radiation, which is the reason for the blue color of the sky and the yellow tone of the sun itself."

Can you see that it says "is the reason for the blue color of the sky"? It says that in your link because the sky is blue.

The sky is blue Jantra and the link you provided confirms what everyone knows. Read your link again and my link too, just so that you can be sure that the sky is blue. Which, of course it is.

There is a phrase, "would argue that the sky isn't blue". Type that into google, in quotes and see what search results appear, then read them. Hopefully you will gain some insight into yourself.

Did you miss this bit

Viewed from space, however, the sky is black and the sun is white.
this isn’t worth arguing over. The sky is not blue, it is not red, it is not great and it is not green. The sky is black. What you are seeing is sunlight scattering off particles in the atmosphere. The question was asked is the sky blue and I responded ‘no it is not’. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. If you want to really understand it look at Diffuse Sky Radiation which explains the physical phenomenon more specifically rather than a generic rule. You will note that the article clearly states
The sunlit sky is blue because air scatters short-wavelength than longer wavelengths. Since blue light is at the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, it is more strongly scattered in the atmosphere than long wavelength red light. The result is that the human eye perceives blue when looking toward parts of the sky other than the sun. The color perceived is similar to that obtained by a monochromatic blue of wavelength 474–476 nm mixed with white light

we are going over old ground. you are arguing for the sake of it. you are a troll. nothing more than that really.

Jantra
Did you miss this bit
Viewed from space, however, the sky is black and the sun is white.
this isn’t worth arguing over. The sky is not blue, it is not red, it is not great and it is not green. The sky is black. What you are seeing is sunlight scattering off particles in the atmosphere. The question was asked is the sky blue and I responded ‘no it is not’. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. If you want to really understand it look at Diffuse Sky Radiation which explains the physical phenomenon more specifically rather than a generic rule. You will note that the article clearly states
The sunlit sky is blue because air scatters short-wavelength than longer wavelengths. Since blue light is at the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, it is more strongly scattered in the atmosphere than long wavelength red light. The result is that the human eye perceives blue when looking toward parts of the sky other than the sun. The color perceived is similar to that obtained by a monochromatic blue of wavelength 474–476 nm mixed with white light

we are going over old ground. you are arguing for the sake of it. you are a troll. nothing more than that really.

So, viewed from space the sky is black? Never done that myself, have you? Conversely, when viewed from the ground, as you do, the sky is blue!

That's rich, you calling me a Troll! You are arguing that the sky isn't blue! I reckon that you are the biggest internet Troll in the whole Cardiff City Region. I reckon that your Trolling needs a wider audience. An anrhropological/zoological/mythological showcase. Do you want it Feedback/Damien/Jantra/Duncan McKokinim?

this is tedious. believe what you want to believe. your eyes cannot resolve the fact that the earth has cuirvature so do you assume it is flat? likewise your eyes are picking up scattered sunlight from the air particles above you. that doesn't mean the sky is blue though. for example, today the sky is grey as a result of blanket cloud coverage.

if the sky was blue then we would not be able to observe anything white such as snow as the white sunlight would be filtered. the fact we can observe white matter such as snow indicates that white light is coming from the sun and the blue light is what is scattered from the atmosphere.

perhaps you think the atmosphere is the sky. I don't. I understand the sky to be the celestial dome.

I am also not sure why you think it is relevant to be personal about it. The internet is full of opinions and in this case I have backed up that with physical evidence and laws.

the sky is not blue

it appears I am not alone in this thinking

Jantra
the sky is not blue

No you are not alone. There are other argumentative, pedantic people out there too. You sadly lack the self-awareness to realise that you have been arguing for days that the sky isn't blue.
How sad.

Jeff Lynne
Jantra
the sky is not blue

No you are not alone. There are other argumentative, pedantic people out there too. You sadly lack the self-awareness to realise that you have been arguing for days that the sky isn't blue.
How sad.

I've not argued anything at all. I have made a statement of fact. The sky is black. The reason you think it is blue is because etc etc....

do you think the Earth is flat?

Jantra
Jeff Lynne
Jantra
the sky is not blue

How sad.

I've not argued anything at all. I have made a statement of fact. The sky is black. The reason you think it is blue is because etc etc....

do you think the Earth is flat?

No I don't think that the earth is flat. How odd that you think that you aren't arguing!

Look at the thread title. I asked whether the skies above Cardiff were bluer than in other parts of Wales. You started arguing that the sky is black!

Cue an argument about whether you are arguing or not....

A funny aspect to this is that you seem unaware of the ironic intent with which I started this thread. I picked the least contentious subject, that the sky is blue and lo and behold, you appeared.

Then lo and behold, an argument appeared!

You imbue bathos with pathos.

Check yourself.

Actually, I did not post in this thread until you made a very thinly veiled reference to me. Now you may see this as arguing because you cannot get your head around what is being discussed, but the sky is black. It always has been black and always will be black. Your attempt to claim it is blue is weird considering you have even said it is red. Perhaps you can explain how the sky can be both blue and red at the same time?

What makes you think the Earth is not flat? Your eyes can’t resolve the curvature of the Earth below around 10 miles altitude. I doubt you have been that high so perhaps you can explain on what grounds you can say the Earth isn’t flat? You are dismissive of physics so we can’t use that discipline to validate the Earth is an oblate spheroid. You’ Re arguing for the sake of arguing. That is all.

Do you think Rainbows exist as well? That is light scattering off water droplets in the atmosphere. The rainbow isn’t really there either just like the blue sky isn’t there.

I googled "blue and red sky" and lo and behold, a miriad of images of blue and red skies appeared!

Here is one:

http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/dived/single/blue_red_sky/

Strangely, none of the images were of a black sky.

I'm off out now, the sun is out, the sky is blue, it's beautiful and so I will guess that you will go and shout at the sky "You are black!"

Happy arguing Damien! Hope the sky doesn't get angry with your absurd arguments and rain on you (or worse).

That's twice you've accepted the sky is red. So when asked if the sky was blue I was correct to say no. I can also guarantee at some point in the next 24 hours you will see a black sky, unless of course you're at the pole (hope springs eternal)

Jantra
That's twice you've accepted the sky is red. So when asked if the sky was blue I was correct to say no. I can also guarantee at some point in the next 24 hours you will see a black sky, unless of course you're at the pole (hope springs eternal)

I've never said the sky isn't red. I've never said that the sky is only blue. I've just said that the sky is blue. Look at the photo at the top of the page. The sky is...........?

Jeff Lynne
I've never said the sky isn't red. I've never said that the sky is only blue. I've just said that the sky is blue.

you're all over the place. one minute you're saying the sky is blue and red, then you're saying the sky is blue. I am not sure of what your position is. However, mine is straightforward. The sky is not blue. You have agreed with this by agreeing that the sky is sometimes red. If something is blue then it cannot be red. Unless of course it can change colour, in which case it is not correct to say the sky is blue as that statement doesn't hold true when the sky is red.

Jeff Lynne
Look at the photo at the top of the page. The sky is...........?

blue/green with some grey/white thrown in. If your point is that the sky is not blue then i'd agree with you. It isn't blue as the photo shows.

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM