CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dumballs Road

Plans to regenerate a run-down part of Cardiff could be held up following claims that a company receiver is reluctant to sell a plot of land that forms part of the site.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/plans-regenerate-run-down-part-cardiff-7136940

I suppose it all depends on the quality of bellephoron and whether they've got the resources. As mixed developments go, it looks interesting. Lets hope it happens in some form

The map above is pretty small, and who knows how near to the final vision it is, but it certainly does not seem to make anything of Trade Street, as has previously been suggested. There appears to be a block of flats directly blocking the route from Trade Street into what appears to be a newly planned area of park land. This seems to me to be a shame. Opening this up would would provide a great view from the new park to Millennium stadium (via the Brains brewery if it is still around) and provide a much nicer pedestrian route to town and the train station, featuring human level buildings as opposed to the office sheds of dumballs road. If cars are a concern, then the route could be blocked to cars but open to pedestrians and cyclists. This would also give trade street an opportunity to become more prominent as a through route as opposed to a dead end. While the buildings are not spectacular, there is a nice cluster of buildings down there, hence the once proposed 'heritage quarter'.

The plans also seem to suggest a pretty major re-working of canal parade park. It it widened close to Louden Sq, and seems to face directly onto Dumballs Road. They incorporate these diagonal pathways they seem to be fond of into Canal Park and plant many more trees. While this could work well, it comes at the expense of the existing football pitch, which could cause concern for some.

There are a set of buildings planned for the current site of warehouses on Canal Parade, backing onto Callaghan Sq. I wonder whether these more out of the way plots are planned for some of the affordable housing elements of the scheme, with the riverfront builds aimed at higher price ranges.

LocalResident
Plans to regenerate a run-down part of Cardiff could be held up following claims that a company receiver is reluctant to sell a plot of land that forms part of the site.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/plans-regenerate-run-down-part-cardiff-7136940

Probably trying to get a better price for the land. Isn't it a receivers job to get the best return on assets in order to settle a company's debts?
Doubt if it will hold up the scheme too much as they will just negotiate a better price.

Bishop84
LocalResident

Probably trying to get a better price for the land. Isn't it a receivers job to get the best return on assets in order to settle a company's debts?
Doubt if it will hold up the scheme too much as they will just negotiate a better price.

Exactly, it's a bit of a non-story really. If the whole scheme falls apart because they can't deal with one receiver and haggle a decent price then they can't manage a scheme of this size.

Why any of it is in the press I don't know !

There seems to be a lot more amended plans on the council site for this now, although they may have been there a while and I missed them. Loads of documents:

The ones I'd scanned only seem to refer to development west of Dumballs Road, not including the two plots east of the road (that may be to follow). Some of the homes looks very similar to the ones on the west bank of the current IVS housing development.

I still think it is a shame it doesnt better interact with Trade Street and Curran Road. But there is an odd bit of land between Trade Street and the development that is currently part of a massive warehouse, part of which is included in the plans and part of which is not. Maybe negotiations are still ongoing and these streets will be better linked in once completed.

Me
Some of the homes looks very similar to the ones on the west bank of the current IVS housing development.

It's the same developer, that's probably why

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM