Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Phoenix Crank

Have you thought about using one of John Barlow's cranks?

Hi Martin,
Yes I did, but still really wanted a Phoenix and so continued looking for one. Delighted to say I was in the end successful.
How do Barlow cranks compare with Phoenix? Do you know who makes them and are there sufficient of them in circulation for an objective comparison to be made?

I've fitted several of both types recently. To be honest it's hard to tell the difference, but the guy who does my balancing reckons the Barlow ones are better.

The forgings for the Phoenix cranks and the JB cranks are identical and made by the same people. It's the finishing that is done separately. I have two Phoenix cranks and two JB cranks and they all perform equally as well. Nothing to choose between them in my experience. I understand that one of the best known A7 competition engine building firms in the UK use JB cranks as a preference.

Steve

I have a couple of the JB cranks and endorse what Steve and Alan have said above. It is important that both types are balanced and in my case with the JB crank quite a bit of metal was removed from the sides of the two centre throws. I understand that with the Phoenix cranks it is sometimes necessary to remove even more metal as part of the balancing process.