Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How many blown cars?

Damian GT
Well it seems that they weren't cheap, even in the day. Though if you ordered fifty you got a reasonable discount.

Cozette Price List photo Cozette Prices.png

I note there is no number 5 Cozette available.
Simon

As B2 and B4 ledgers are missing, we can only quess.

I'm told the B4 production is less than B3.

So to stick a pin in a number, around 160. 1/3 blown.

Again if anyone has any history on JJ 5855 I'd love to here it.

A lovely story, by pure chance. A customer ( dale blockley ) sent me a couple of pics of cars he owner in the 1960s. The first car he ever owned a little chummy. And a picture of the blown Ulster he is trying to recreate today.

The pure chance bit is the blown Ulster he owned in the 1960s is JJ 5855.

Thanks dale.

Tony.

If sales patterns in the 1930s were anything like they are now, if there were 64 B1 cars, I'd expect about 50 B2s. This would tie in with the 38 B3s and again a guess at 20 B4s. No justification for this other than its the way I'd expect the sales pattern of a new car to go today. You always sell more at introduction and it tails off.
This hypothesis indicates something like 170 to 180 cars in total.

Quote Charles P

" Now to Cozette supercharger numbers.
Number 4 Cozette's were all individually numbered and prefaced with "X4". I know of:

X4 221
X4 233
X4 252
X4 253

Anybody know any others, especially higher and lower numbers?
Contrary to some opinions I haven't been collecting these numbers like a chap at the end of Kings Cross station. I am interested in knowing the range as another indicator of volume. Of course in service replacements may extend the numbers but they weren't cheap superchargers and won't have been thrown away easily. "

Charles I had a look on the end flanges of the body today and no numbers. Where can I find these numbers on the number 4 cozette body, are they on the inlet or outlet flanges, or perhaps the end plates. Some advice please before I do some more paint scraping? thanks Russell

I think the Cozette 5 is a modern repro. There is no mention of a 5 in the catalogue.

Pic of original 4 showing serial number.....

Thanks Henry that's exactly the information I was seeking. Sadly that's where I looked and no number, only the raised cast letters. Do you know who is manufacturing the inlet and outlet manifold castings? cheers Russell

Contact me,I can help.
Were the superchargers painted black originally?
Didn't someone mention on here that they spoke with Frank Delaney of Delaney Gallay (Who raced a Lea Francis into his 90's)radiator manufacturers,and importers of Cozettes who stated that Austins had at least 2 of the no 5's.

thanks Dave , I will

I don't think Austins used other superchargers at that time.The very last deep sump 10 stud crankcases had 3 bosses for supercharger mounts.For the longer bodied no 5?

Austin in the Shed
I don't think Austins used other superchargers at that time.The very last deep sump 10 stud crankcases had 3 bosses for supercharger mounts.For the longer bodied no 5?

So they are mid 1931 onwards.

How many of those crankcases has anyone seen?
Any photos?

Thanks

Charles

No pictures of the crankcases, but we can probably all think of one known works engine which has bosses set for a 5. Some of the spec for a 5 here..

photo Cozette spec sheet023.jpg

Re the question of whether other than No.4s were fitted -- Be mindful, Folks, that the Sales Brochure for the 1930-31 type Ulster says under the Specifications :- "A larger size, or other type supercharger may be fitted if required, at an extra charge".

I took me a while to dig it out but heres another Cozette number for your list X4 214, this came from a Super Sports.

Bill Sheehan
Re the question of whether other than No.4s were fitted -- Be mindful, Folks, that the Sales Brochure for the 1930-31 type Ulster says under the Specifications :- "A larger size, or other type supercharger may be fitted if required, at an extra charge".

I wonder if it was possible to fit any other available supercharger,the limiting factor being the distance between the gear drive centre and the side of the crankcase.Even the Cozette only just fits.

Yes, Bill. I think it's pretty clear that Type 5 Cozettes were fitted by Austin, but the number made is likely to have been very small. I think most people believe that it was available through special order only, and perhaps fitted only to works engines.

Ian Williams
I took me a while to dig it out but heres another Cozette number for your list X4 214, this came from a Super Sports.

Ian

Very helpful
So we have a supersports at 214 and the last we've heard of at 285
My hunch is that Cozette used the number range starting at 200 so we have less than 100 No4's made.

The No5 insight is interesting. It's odd in size and doesn't fit in the capacity steps of the normal Cozette range. It is clearly an oddball designed for narrow spaces otherwise you'd use the No 6 which would breathe better (long thin blowers with ports in the middle are far from ideal)

Charles

David Howes engine, with Cozette 5. Brooklands, June 2007

Early 8 stud supercharged engine with Cozette 4

Charles P
Austin in the Shed

So they are mid 1931 onwards.

How many of those crankcases has anyone seen?
Any photos?

Thanks

Charles

I think it was David Howes engine I saw with the 3 bosses,Ex Williams engine I think.
Perhaps some of our more elusive sports owners will share photos of their special engines ?

Austin in the Shed

Perhaps some of our more elusive sports owners will share photos of their special engines ?

Now wouldn't that be nice.

Charles

Henry Harris
David Howes engine, with Cozette 5. Brooklands, June 2007

I notice the Cozette No5 has modern typeface stampings. Unlike the typeface on the No posted earlier

It is a Replica?

Hedd Jones

I notice the Cozette No5 has modern typeface stampings. Unlike the typeface on the No posted earlier

It is a Replica?

Yes

For the History buffs - the "early" engine & blower set-up, shown in Henry's black & white photo, is of the first example of the Super Sports of late 1927 (including Waite's 1928 AGP car). It was first offered for sale to the public in July 1928 - four months after Waite's win. And a bit early to call them Ulsters! (For those who don't know, the '28, '29 & '30 AGPs went to the fastest time, not a handicap as many think). Cheers, Bill in Oz