Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DVLA - Recent experiences?

My experience is from 2014, so not hugely relevant but you asked.

I bought a Wolseley Hornet Special at auction in December 2013, the Club Registrar had been unable to authenticate it as a genuine WHS because the chassis number appeared on the documents to be the same as a WHS in the USA. Having closely examined the car I was confident it was a genuine WHS so I bid for and bought it at Bonhams auction. Whilst recommissioning the car, I found the numbers stamped on the axles, gearbox and engine all of which confirmed its provenance. However I was unable to make sense of the chassis number, no plate being present on this car, it is not stamped on any component just the car number and Sanction Numbers on brass plates from the manufacturer. After four or five months of staring at the paperwork I finally unravelled the mystery. The duplicate log book, issued in 1974 had a different chassis number, which seemed correct. The first time the car was registered on the electronic system in 1983 the chassis number was incorrectly recorded, instead using the engine number, but without the backslash. This was then confirmed when the car changed hands twice in the early 20oughties. What confused matters is that along the way the engine had been changed for another, the number of which was recorded on the V5. The Club Registrar agreed with my findings, wrote a letter of support and I sent off the change of detail paperwork, photos and my own covering letter. One month later a new V5C was issued, the chassis number was still recorded as the old engine number. I returned all the paperwork, pointed out the error in Cardiff and a month later the paperwork returned........wrong again. I phoned and made a bit of a fuss about not wanting to again fill in the paperwork and eventually was put through to the Historic Vehicle section "who dont normally take phone calls". After retrieving the paperwork and having the issue explained, a light came on in Cardiff and within a week I had the V5C reissued with all the details now correctly recorded.

In July 2014 I moved and sent in the V5C's for all the Historic's I have and whilst at it decided to tackle the incorrectly recorded details.

Austin 7 RP different engine number, incorrect engine size, blue over black not black over blue. I week returned all details correct
Austin Cambridge Special, incorrect engine number, wrong engine size, 1 week returned paperwork, correct
Morris 8 engine size incorrect, 1 week paperwork corrected
WHS, address change, no problem
Lotus Elan+2 although first registered in 1973, it was manufactured in 1972 and I had a factory letter to confirm. I asked for Historic Vehicle tax class, 2 weeks paperwork returned corrected and Historic tax issued for 1 year, without asking.
Morris 8 2 seater, on SORN, changed address and engine size and colour and engine number, three weeks, paperwork correct.

I marked them 8/10 for interpretation and 9/10 for efficiency, well impressed.

Although not part of this discussion I want to add that of all the Admin Depts of the UK.Gov, DVLA has a really good system for relicensing and declaring SORN on line. It is fast, slick, works every time in my experience and is way ahead of the old Post Office fill-in-a-form and queue for "Window number 7 please".

I do regret the passing of local offices and the guidance one could get from them, but I have to say that I am in fairly close touch with a local group of full time specials builders (neither Austin nor Bugatti), one of whom I visited today and who says that the last three specials, licensed in the last six months, all with new bodies declared on original components, sometimes of different manufacture have been returned their original numbers or age related plates and licensed as Historic. This can take two months and requires a lot of of photos and rubbings of numbers, usually a second, sometimes a third lot of questions, but always successful.

David Worthington

A couple of years ago I purchased a Ruby rolling chassis and engine with chassis I.D. plate and reg plates.
I sent off for a v5 and received it in due course (with standard engine size mistake: 850cc instead of 747cc).

David

Sorry, David, more questions: Did you have any original paperwork to back up the numbers on the "hardware"? Did you get the old registration back and if so, is it transferable? or was an "age-related" one issued?

Thanks!

Thanks very much for that. Your experiences sound as though you got what you wanted, but only through some pretty dogged persistence!

The recent story about the special builders is very interesting, as it seems to contradict much of the speculation that's been going on.

Although a seven owner I have just completed a Triumph motorcycle restoration and had to obtain a V5 from Swansea, naturaly.I posted all the required paperwork which would have arrived in Swansea on monday 29th February and I received a new V5 this morning tuesday 8th March. Hows that for service, whats the problem with the DVLA ?

Dorking Surrey

Clive

Clive Medland
Although a seven owner I have just completed a Triumph motorcycle restoration and had to obtain a V5 from Swansea, naturaly.I posted all the required paperwork which would have arrived in Swansea on monday 29th February and I received a new V5 this morning tuesday 8th March. Hows that for service, whats the problem with the DVLA ?

Dorking Surrey

Clive

Hi Clive.

Another satisfied customer!

As a matter of interest, how much original paperwork did you have for the Triumph? Is it still carrying its original registration, or is it now on an "age-related" plate?

Thanks!

I had to get an age related number. I send mot certificate, insurance certificate, a letter of authority from the Triumph Owners Club confirming year of manufacture, engine and frame numbers and I included a photograph.
To my mind to acquire a V5 incuding a new reg number this is excellent service within 8 days.

I think this recent communications about the DVLA is a storm in a teacup which is justified if a misdemeanour is trying to be achieved ! The DVLA are correct in rejecting these dubious applications which can only be a good thing for our organisation / pastime. Ultimately afer the dust has settled we will continue making our specials after all they are only a new body on a original chassis.

I suspect that you're quite right, Clive. I've had quite a few responses, both on this Forum and privately, but despite the huge amount of alarm expressed on the DVLA New Rules thread, no-one has yet reported a seriously negative first-hand experience.

Martin Prior

I suspect that you're quite right, Clive. I've had quite a few responses, both on this Forum and privately, but despite the huge amount of alarm expressed on the DVLA New Rules thread, no-one has yet reported a seriously negative first-hand experience.

Martin, don't I remember Malcolm Parker having a very negative first hand experience which was reported on this forum??

This was posted elsewhere by Malcom in Dec. 2014 and subsequently commented on here (but I can't find it!!)

"Problem registering Austin 7 with DVLA
About 10 years ago I bought an Austin 7 special with a horrible 1950's body. There was no V5 but the car had its original reg. number. The car was on a 1929 chassis clearly marked and the original body chassis number and car number plates had been transferred to the replacement body. I rebuilt the chassis and running gear and fitted an authentic replica Gordon England body. The car was authenticated by the PWA7C as a 1929 vehicle fitted with replica body and the recommendation made that it be issued with an age related number. So far so good!
The DVLA forms were filled in and sent off for an age related number. Next they wanted proof of my identity despite having lived at my present address 28 years during which time they have sent me countless demands for Road Fund Tax etc etc. Identity duly sent off, next came back a Form V627 to complete. This is to confirm the source and make of the principal components of the vehicle. All the parts are original A7 apart from a new replica body. Photo of the chassis number also enclosed with my reply.
Just had a reply from DVLA, the car has been allocated a new VIN number (seven letters followed by 10 digits) and will be issued with a 'Q' reg number!
They have instructed me to have a franchised dealer or local garage to have this VIN number stamped onto the chassis frame in a clearly visible and accessible position.
Having had this done and certified by the dealer or garage, I have to present the vehicle for Individual Vehicle Approval.
Has anyone else had similar problems?"

Ian Mc.

Thanks Ian.

Malcolm Parker obviously had a nightmare experience with his car. Interestingly his problems appear to pre-date the current "New Rules"(?) panic by quite some time.

Martin Prior

Thanks Ian.

Malcolm Parker obviously had a nightmare experience with his car. Interestingly his problems appear to pre-date the current "New Rules"(?) panic by quite some time.

His was the first case that I became aware of.

Ian Mc.

Do we know if Malcolm Parker returned the paperwork to the DVLA with a covering letter to inform them that a Q plate would not be acceptable to him under any circumstances?