Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barn Find Speedy &DVLA

Does anyone know who bought the Speedy? Seems like a good price.

Nice to know for the Speedy Register.

Martin (Speedy Register Registrar)

PS I should have added that if your original Registration Authority had archived its registration records to a county Museums Service, or to the Kithead Trust you might be able to prove the link between ch no and reg no.

But that's a Postcode Lottery as only fraction of them did that.

Bill G

Re: Barn Find Speedy

Mike Costigan
JonE

..."The Speedy comes with some of its instruments, including the almost impossible to find speedometer/rev-counter"...

... and also two pressure-fed crankcases - or is that the original engine AND two crankcases!?!

Given the price that the boat-tailed two-seater recently fetched, this is going to be expensive!

Odd that professional auctioneers can be so utterly rubbish at making sale price estimates.
It might attract punters but it's very stupid.

Charles

If I had money I would buy it, and be quite happy to pay over the cost of a complete restored car! It is substantially complete, reasonably unadulterated, and where else will you find a time warp Speedy to restore. Having said that I have the skills to restore it without needing to farm out the work, and I would not want a car restored by others. I also don't get quite so hung up on registration numbers as most.

Charles P
Mike Costigan
JonE

..."The Speedy comes with some of its instruments, including the almost impossible to find speedometer/rev-counter"...

... and also two pressure-fed crankcases - or is that the original engine AND two crankcases!?!

Given the price that the boat-tailed two-seater recently fetched, this is going to be expensive!

Odd that professional auctioneers can be so utterly rubbish at making sale price estimates.
It might attract punters but it's very stupid.

Charles

It's intentional. They know it will fetch an astronomical price but a low estimate brings in punters.

Hello from the town of Prizren in Kosovo, by the way.

I shall be at the auction on Thursday as I am also interested in the bicycles.

HVA have confirmed that one can view the bikes and cars during the Automobilia auction. I have no interest in sitting through the first 900+ lots !!

On a different subject, the 750MC are to congratulated on a superb rally at Beaulieu yesterday. A wonderful range of cars + the display of racers.
Thanks to all.

the new owner was the under bidder on the boattail.

just a quess, but i dont think he really seems to know what he has actually bought

would have liked to have had a bid myself, but i have other commitments.

when i got home, tracy replied. i thought you would have had a go at that price.

if i had bought it, and sed to here we now own a speedy. the reply would have been, were the hell is that going to go

tony.

I think the Chummy remains fetched £2,400 + fees which I thought expensive seeing it was complete mishmash of parts, not all of which came from the same car. I believe it was bought by the same buyer as the Speedy, a dealer from Devon whose name I did not get but with whom I had a long chat before the car section. Although he admitted he was relatively new to Sevens he seemed to know exactly what he was proposing to buy but had some strange ideas as to what he was going to do with it to get it back on the road. We shall see!

Tony
Tony
Hi bill,

The boat tail is tricky as austin didn't stamp the chassis number on the chassis. Only the bulkhead plates.

Tony.

Hi Douglas,

I've re-read myself a couple of times now just to see if what I sead originally made sence.

Please read my quote above.

Including the boat tail in the auction this is the third BOAT TAIL, I've seen with NO NO NO number stamped on the chassis.

The chassis number is ONLY stamped on the bulkhead plate.

My comment to what the DVLA would make of it if they viewed the car, as they wont give a REG number unless these things match up.

my comment to someone knowing we're the chassis number should be, is perhaps they are better informed. Other than what I've seen with own eyes.

I think after 24 years of handling two thirds of the country's austin 7 spares and cars, Ive found were austin useually stamped the chassis

Sometimes in three different places on the same chassis. Or in two places in two different font sizes. But thats probably the result of a b0llaking from the Forman.

Tony.

Can anyone clarify the stamping/s position?
I have an earlyish 1930 RK with the number stamped in front of the rear engine mount and a late 1930 car with the number behind the rear engine mount.Are they both correct? I asked this question a while ago but only received one reply.

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf
I presume you have seen this, AITS?

No I hadn't Jon.Agree with the earlier 1927ish numbering of chassis and engine no's in the middle of the engine mounts,and the early 1930's with stamping behind the rear but it doesn't show any with the chassis number just in front of the rear mount,(Which on my car is definitely original)

Austin in the shed

Can anyone clarify the stamping/s position?
I have an earlyish 1930 RK with the number stamped in front of the rear engine mount and a late 1930 car with the number behind the rear engine mount.Are they both correct? I asked this question a while ago but only received one reply.

Dave

September 1930 still just ahead of the rear engine mount.
You now need to find a Dec 1930 car to check

Charles

Dave/Charles:

November 1930 here. Number behind the rear N/S engine mount. Also Jan 1931, with number in the same place.

Steve

Thanks for that Charles/Steve,my December 1930 registered car has the number behind the rear engine mount.

Hi all

October 1930, just in front of the rear engine mount.