Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bucket seat variations

Second picture shows MkII Ruby. Third picture shows RN type on right, MkI Ruby on left. I know little about Nippys, but the picture shows a type I have not seen previously so very likely it is correct for the car. Generally when upholstery got scruffy back in the fifties and sixties, better were available cheaply from scrapyards, and if the design was slightly different it was of no concern.

Ian,

from a 1933 65.

photo A699E94F-E3CD-48E9-9ECB-C618E31A1A77_zpstk9oruco.jpg

photo 3445E59E-CCAD-49F7-929C-675056E4CF00_zps8pxzxcvm.jpg

ah - interesting. The standard Nippy/65 fare is a protector plate (a Chris Gould reproduction below on a Nippy) and then leather bag with inflator cushion. What is the liklihood that these Ruby style bases could have been options rather than easy 1950s replacements? I'm thinking that it might have been with the later Nippy, but unlikely with the 65?

Ian,

AG Tourer as spotted on eBay.

Quite different to preceding and following models.

photo AG seats_zpscwh9rrpu.jpg

Here is a seat base currently on ebay that is exactly the same as the ones I've just removed from an unoriginal Nippy seat.

Dimensions from bottom; 17" front to back, width 13.25" at front, 14.75" at back... and listed as being from a Box saloon.

Questions:
Is it possible that these could have been fitted at the very beginning of 65 build as the inflatable seats came in?

What are the earliest cars that inflatable bladders are fitted to?

What overlays the wood, between that and the cover?

In the later steel bucket (which follows a similar line to these), does the padding change?