Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Powerlite Starter Motor

Obviously, I used a thick wire (Jumper lead) on to the main terminal and I phoned and checked with the seller that the unit was suitable for 6 Volt + Earth operation before I purchased it. I might add that 1/2 an hour after fitting it having phoned Powerlite to organise its return I was quite horrified to find the whole unit was quite hot suggestive of an armature burn out. I hasten to add that at no stage was there any activity from the motor itself. I've put the old starter motor back on and am glad to report it works perfectly although it only turns the engine over slowly a problem that I've found in common with my other 1932-35 Austin 7s (even with an 80 amp hr battery).

hi James,
from what I've seen on their website, Powerlines Austin 7 starter motors are 12Volt only so unless they do a 6 volt one as well -which I couldn't see then I think you've found the problem.

Steve V.

I understand they only produce them in 12v as well.

If that's the case QED and fortunately I've got my messages sent and received on Ebay relating to my asking 'is this suitable for 6 volt operation' which was answered positively by the seller Andy's Autoparts Oldham. I think if they are only suitable for 12 volt operation it should say so somewhere obvious in the advert, on the box or unit itself and they should not be advertised as suitable for post 1933 Austin 7s without some reference to this. Powerlite also produce a more expensive one for earlier Austin 7s but again no mention of voltage. Very misleading which I've found out to my cost ... but it could've been much worse if I hadn't disconnected the battery.

Fortunately any advertising relating to these units is now marked 'for 12 Volt use only' so you are unlikely to get caught out as I did. Thanks to the help and guidance of those on the Forum I managed to get far more weight behind my complaint than I would have without such support.

By returning the starter to Eurolec who distribute these units, rather than the seller, the firm are showing a strong interest in producing a starter suitable for 6 Volt use and hopefully this will happen within months rather than years.

I have just picked up on this thread and have a question James; Why did you need one of these new starters, what is wrong with the standard 6V starter motor? Just asking as I have never found a problem so I am very curious as to why.

Ian, it may be a personal experience but I've always found my 1935 Speedy to be a bit ponderous in starting along with another couple of other post 1931, pre-1937 A7s with rear facing starter motors. Obviously, lacking a fixed starting handle, being pressure fed with a covered nose cone and having a high compression head may not help. Not an issue in Summer but can be in Winter but to date haven't had to resort to 12 volts. Again have kept on top of the wiring, cleaned contacts and even used an 80AH battery to little improvement and it always starts (provided battery has a good charge). Incidentally, I've found that the higher output battery has transformed starting the earlier Bacon-Slicer motors. Had a bit of spare cash and thought I'd give Powerlite a go !

Thanks James, I am a great believer in sticking with 6V and original equipment where ever possible, and I must say I have never had any issues with any of my cars, hence my curiosity, and of course I agree it's personal preference what modifications if any are carried out. I have a pressure fed speedy type engine in the Nippy and that spins into life easily in any conditions, the engine is reasonably fresh and I completely rewired the car with multiple earth returns which may assist reducing volt drop.