Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ulster photos from Southport races

First of a few photos I had printed up from glass plates that are in the Haymarket publishing archive, (Autocar & The Motor amongst others.)

I have spent many a lunch hour in the archive so far, (I am working on them to start doing a proper web archive of all of the articles / photos.)

Some of these are unpublished photos.

There are some more coming from different races once I get the time...

Annoyingly I have left the copies of the articles with someone else so I can't cross reference them at the moment but they are from the Southport beach races.

Has anyone got any info. on the "normal" ulster below, reg number JO? ?44.

Crop of just the ulster

Crop of just the TT Ulster

Re: Ulster photos from Southport races

Austin,
The TT car is mine being driven by Charles Goodacre in the 1935 100 Mile Race which he won.Race took place on 24 Aug and the car was a works entry.The Production s/c car is probably C H Strang driving W Wikes' car.Wonderful photos any chance of getting hard copies?

Fantastic!! Keep them coming!!

Regards

Rob

Austin,
Just checked my Ulster Register I have JO 1844 on there as owned by Keith Snoxall reg 5/31 and car no B2 8659.Sadly Austins records do not cover the B2 car nos David

Nothing in the world of 7's seems to change, they all seem to be having a ball. Great stuff indeed, fascinating photo's.

JO 1844 latest info owned by Bob Stirling

Austin, you have an opportunity that sets me gibbering! Are you taking commissions?!

Regards, Stuart

Austin,
Could you suggest to Haymarket that they prepare an Austin 7 book based on original photos in their archive,think it would sell like hotcakes images A5 min preferabley A4 and accurately captioned David

I think I have to be a bit careful about "publishing" these photos on the web as they will be copyrighted by Haymarket, (who I work for!) There is talk of starting to get an online archive for the Autocar magazine going. There is a HUGE archive of information so it may take some time.

I concentrated on one driver, (Goodacre), and only in an Ulster, to find what I have at the moment.

As there is a list in the new Competition cars book of all the events it should be fairly easy to cross reference them all. Generally you need to find the article in the magazine and hope that the archivist put numbers next to the photos and then find the relevant box of glass plates.

To give an idea of the number of plates there is one wall full, (10' x 40' ish)!

Even if you could make one scan every 10 minutes that is a lot of work!

I should say that a large amount of the photos in the book have come from the same archive.

There isn't really any way I can take commissions as it were as it's not my job! However it may be worth asking them. Prints are £30 each but it is well worth talking to them first.

I have had a quick search on the LAT website and come up with a couple.

Austin photo

Austin (Poppe)

GE Cup

If there is any news on how the archiving process is going I'll let you all know.

I have spoken to the people at LAT Photographic and they are happy for me to put these photos up on my site.

There are links to the LAT site if you want to order prints, (just quote the reference number given.)

As above I have also zoomed in on the interesting bits, (ie the Austins!) If anyone knows what the other cars are please leave comments.

Also I have typed up the Autocar report for the Southport race. It makes interesting reading, (and is contradictory to Canning Brown's text in the Austin Seven Competition History book.

David, Im not sure that it is your car as it is stated as "C.L. Goodacre, driving P. Stephenson's supercharged Austin Seven". (This is corroborated by the report in The Motor as well.)

Anyway here are the pictures;

C7266Th

C7267Th

C7268Th

C7272Th

B4769Th

B4777th

B4780Th

There are a couple more to come form a race at Donnington but I need to get some sleep!

The photos and race report from Donington (24/8/1934) are now up as well.

Now what I need to do is see if I can get a small glass plate style scanner to do the rest!

Re: Re: Ulster photos from Southport races

I am right. The car was entered by the works for Goodacre. Hattons were the the local Austin agents who provided support and the administation of the entry was made locally by Stephenson. It was not Stephenson's car. Stephenson was the Club Press Officer and all my information about the events at Southport came from Club sources, not the magazine reporters who frequently got things wrong

Beatrice, I am sure that you are right, it seems strange that two reporters for rival magazines both got it wrong though...

My previous post gives link to the Autocar one, the Motor one starts off;

Success in the ninth annual 100-mile race at Southport last Saturday came to C L Goodacre driving Percy Stephenson's blown Austin Seven....

As you didn't state your source and I had spotted another mistake* in your (excellent by the way) book I thought it was an interesting point to make. Especially as the owner of the car is a regular reader of this forum.

I am sure that you recognise the numbering system on the images as your name has been mentioned by the people in the archive when I was down there.

*The registration of the Holly Birkett TT car is wrong. This thread mentions it.

Re: Re: Ulster photos from Southport races

Austin - Your thumbnails look very interesting, but every attempt to click on them to enlarge has brought up your headed page but as far as photos go it's blank. Is there a problem or is it just me? Cheers, Bill

Austin,Beatrice is right that is Charles Goodacre driving my car which was a works entry.In the 70's Martin Eyre met Charles Goodacre on a number of occassions and Goodacre desribed teh Southport 1935 100Mile Race stating it was the most exiting race had had ever run and the one he was most proud to have won.At that time Martin was the ownner of my car.Goodacre had a photo of himself during the race on his bedside table.

Bill,

It all appears to be fine for me, (they are fairly large file sizes for the images though.) Have you tried just going to www.austinharris.co.uk and taking from there?

Beatrice / David

I will add a comment underneath each photo and the article, as I said I was quoting from the reports of the time. I guess it would be an easy mistake to be made by the reporters if they had a copy of the entry list and wrote it up from there.

It must have annoyed the Austin works no end to have it described as a "private" entry.

I have also put up a list of equipment / drivers for the 1930 TT race taken from The Autocar magazine. (Not sure if I will be able to type up the full report as it is about 10 pages!) Everything is viewable from the link above.

Planning to add more stuff as and when I get the chance to... (Trying to concentrate on the TT cars for now).