Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Interesting Cylinder head............

On fleaBay here

Ian Mc.

Re: Interesting Cylinder head............

It's an early Whatmouth Hewitt, if that is the correct spelling.

I hadn't realised that Frank, thanks.(Whatmough-Hewitt I think is how it's spelt)
It doesn't look anything like pictures I have seen of later W-H heads.

Ian Mc.

It certainly has a Whatmough combustion chamber shape.
I have seen an early Thomson and Taylor/Ricardo head with a similar brass plate on it; presumably the retailer?
Regards, Stuart

Stuart Ulph
It certainly has a Whatmough combustion chamber shape.
I have seen an early Thomson and Taylor/Ricardo head with a similar brass plate on it; presumably the retailer?
Regards, Stuart

That makes sense.

The Whatmough Hewitt head I have, is from circa 1928 (I am told):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Very, very, good head to use, this one is now repaired and ready to go back on the car.

Quite different from the one on eBay externally and internally.

I have a head made by "The Aluminium Cylinder Head Co ltd" that looks virtualy identical externaly sans casting no's. The combustion chambers are also very similar but not identical. Not sure of date but think it may be pre war, it has A7 134 stamped into it if that means any thing to anyone. With the similaritys in apperance there has to be a connection of some sort with the ebay head. I also find it interesting considering the suggested date that the water take off is identical to the Austin sports and 37 type heads. I must try to work out how to post photos on the forum.
Cheers Ian.

Ruairidh, are those marks from the valves "kissing" the head or are they part of the head casting? I can't quite make it out on the photo.

I'm with Stuart, I would put money on the eBay head being an early Ricardo as manufactured by Thompson and Taylor at Brooklands in the 1920’s.

Take a look here at the pictures of the "late Ricardo head" (they've got the early and late pictures transposed) its almost identical, even down to the square-headed blanking plugs on the priming ports.

Ian Mc.

The page is here.One day I will get round to making the Brice White pages work properly and be searchable. Until then it's best to use Google's advanced search and put "bruce-white.austinharris.co.uk" in the site or domain box.

Austin Harris
The page is here.One day I will get round to making the Brice White pages work properly and be searchable. Until then it's best to use Google's advanced search and put "bruce-white.austinharris.co.uk" in the site or domain box.

Thanks Austin, link amended. I have both links stored in my "Favourites" but tend to use yours from an expectation that the original archive site will just disappear one day.

Ian Mc.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Hope this works!

Ian McGowan
Ruairidh, are those marks from the valves "kissing" the head or are they part of the head casting? I can't quite make it out on the photo.

I'm with Stuart, I would put money on the eBay head being an early Ricardo as manufactured by Thompson and Taylor at Brooklands in the 1920’s.

Take a look here at the pictures of the "late Ricardo head" (they've got the early and late pictures transposed) its almost identical, even down to the square-headed blanking plugs on the priming ports.

Ian Mc.

Ian, I don't think Stuart is saying that it is a T&T head and the shape is not Ricardo.'

Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

Very, very, good head to use, this one is now repaired and ready to go back on the car.

Ruairidh,I would have thought that this was the later version. Cambridge evolved the same way. Plugs look like 14mm indicating a later date as well. Mid thirties? Has the Ricardo shape unlike the earlier one.

Frank Hernandez
Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ruairidh,I would have thought that this was the later version. Cambridge evolved the same way. Plugs look like 14mm indicating a later date as well. Mid thirties? Has the Ricardo shape unlike the earlier one.

It has 18mm to 14mm plug adapters fitted Frank.

Ian Mc.

Ian is correct, I fitted inserts as some of the threads were a bit "loose"!!

I have a Ricardo head on the Chummy, it isn't like the eBay one however, the water take off is integral like my W-H shown above, no photos on file but will take a photo at next opportunity. This head is also very, very, good.

Some more heads I have, these are untested (by me at least) however:

Alta:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aluminium Head Company:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Early Cambridge head (??)

Photobucket

Photobucket

LRM

Photobucket

Photobucket

Speedex

Photobucket

Photobucket

Supaloy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hopefully of interest to someone....

Ian McGowan

I have large inlet valves fitted and this required a little extra machining...

Re The Aluminium Cylinder Head Co. I have one, but always thought it was post WW2 and made from melted down milk bottle tops. Ian suggests it may be pre-WW2.
Does anyone have a history of this company? The heads are very good but require care that they don't warp. Cheers, Bill

Bill, I have no conclusive proof that they are pre war, just what I have been led to believe by an Austin exponent with more years of knowledge than me. It just appeared to me that the ACHC heads could have come from the same pattern as the e-bay head? I would be interested to learn the truth if anyone knows.

Ian - David Morgan wrote something about them in an Association Magazine some years back, I'll try to locate it. He showed the number stamped on his. My head is stamped 129, for trivial interest. Cheers, Bill

I have just realised that the patent No. on the 9E1 head in Ian Williams photo, 148046, is the same as the one quoted by the vendor as cast into the eBay head i.e. 148046/19. Whatever that might prove, or not!

Ian Mc.

Interesting! I thought I'd seen all the variations then this one came up. I've got all the others on the Special Cylinder Head page of the Speedex site,
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speedex/index_files/Page2476.htm
(although its all a bit dormant at the moment).

It looks the same as the ACHC one from the top and also the 'early' Ricardo. The chambers however are different on the ACHC but almost the same on the Ricardo, just minus the characteristic step. I suspect these are all related and a progression of designs, perhaps through different companies who may have bought or inherited the casting pattern.

No bidders yet, the A7 community are watching with interest!

Dave

Another one, I had not photographed it until today,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Anyone tell me what it is (Ricardo?)?

Nothing more than a guess, Ruairidh but, I would say that it has the characteristics of a latish Ricardo design.

Ian Mc.

Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have seen one before at a jumble. The chamber is quite horrible, it makes you wonder what they were thinking.At least they had reduced the two most useless water passages. Your Whatmough is quite elegant by comparison. You mention Ricardo as others do but my understanding is that he did research on chamber design and patented the shape which Austin's then used on the Ruby. Basically a round corner triangle with a deepening of the chamber as it enters the bore and a central plug position.I believe that he did not make heads, is that correct?. I have also seen your Whatmough head but with 14mm plugs -no adapter which is why I have always thought that they were thirties. On the other hand I have seen heads identical to the Ebay one stamped "Whatmough" on the side with a 1929 date stamp. So was Whatmough the first alloy head maker?

Whatmough-Hewitt heads were cast and machined by Automotive Engineering Co Ltd., The Green , Twickenham , Middlesex.
They also made aluminium cylinder heads for Morgan
S/V Ford engines pre-war amongst others .
Post war they made the aluminium Willment and ELVA OHV Ford 1172 conversion cylinder heads.
Their basic business was BHB pistons ,industrial centrifugal clutches and disc brakes.
Until the mid 1960's , pre-war heads as castings and fully machined were still lying in the stores.
A few bits found their way to our garage (my father was technical director)when finally cleared out.
I still have a later W-H head( integral water outlet)
but with a 9E1 chamber. Patent plate with head
reads - Whatmough-Fishere Patents
No 279,526,303,295and patents pending
Automotive Engineering Co Ltd.,
Twickenham. Middlesex

Have used this head for many years on my Ulster- c/r about 7:1

Geoff Harrison
Whatmough-Hewitt heads were cast and machined by Automotive Engineering Co Ltd., The Green , Twickenham , Middlesex.
They also made aluminium cylinder heads for Morgan
S/V Ford engines pre-war amongst others .
Post war they made the aluminium Willment and ELVA OHV Ford 1172 conversion cylinder heads.
Their basic business was BHB pistons ,industrial centrifugal clutches and disc brakes.
Until the mid 1960's , pre-war heads as castings and fully machined were still lying in the stores.
A few bits found their way to our garage (my father was technical director)when finally cleared out.
I still have a later W-H head( integral water outlet)
but with a 9E1 chamber. Patent plate with head
reads - Whatmough-Fishere Patents
No 279,526,303,295and patents pending
Automotive Engineering Co Ltd.,
Twickenham. Middlesex

Have used this head for many years on my Ulster- c/r about 7:1

Great stuff,
1) Do you think that the head that started this off is an early W-H?
2) Any idea of date?
3) How do you define a 9E1 chamber? Ulster type?

A couple of items from 1932 Austin Magazine
Photobucket

Photobucket

Bryan

That is the same style that I have. Is this a late or early model??

Ruairidh Dunford
That is the same style that I have. Is this a late or early model??

Ruairidh, well that dates your head from Feb 32 on and it also explains the one that I saw with the 14mm plugs. I wonder when they started the earlier type, at least 1928 from the Ebay ad.

Ian McGowan

Ian Mc.

Ian, this is a very confusing picture. Interesting in that they stepped the chamber to increase compression, but the chamber shape is not the one I associate with Ricardo. In more ways it is closer to W-H in shape. I was only aware of Ricardo working & patenting the Ruby shaped chamber.

An earlier Ashby Ad. from Feb 1931.
Photobucket

Bryan

Bryan Norfolk
An earlier Ashby Ad. from Feb 1931.
Photobucket

Bryan

It must be refering to the early head , i.e Ebay one

I doubt if the cylinder head which started this is a W-H. Some how it does not look right when compared to the other W-H heads.
The W-H patent is for a cylinder head / combustion chamber with a relief round the back of the valves
and plugs over the exhaust valves.The chamber shape is rounded similar to the Ruairidh Dunford pics.
My head has no patent numbers cast into it and the chamber is similar to the Ulster shape.

Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes, it is a Ricardo, but designed as a "Shock Absorber" I think this is due to detonation problems possibly due to the fuels at the time. I think it is a late thirties patent.

Frank Hernandez
Yes, it is a Ricardo,

Thank you Frank.

Geoff Harrison
I doubt if the cylinder head which started this is a W-H. Some how it does not look right when compared to the other W-H heads.
The W-H patent is for a cylinder head / combustion chamber with a relief round the back of the valves
and plugs over the exhaust valves.The chamber shape is rounded similar to the Ruairidh Dunford pics.
My head has no patent numbers cast into it and the chamber is similar to the Ulster shape.

Geoff, wouldn't you have expected some chamber change from the early W-H to the later 1932 one?. We know there are two types from the two ads as the 2nd ad refers to a newer W-H head, but it does not mention a new design, just the new material. If the Ebay one is not a W-H then there are two questions to ask. Firstly, what does the predecessor look like? Secondly, what is the Ebay one?

Ruairidh Dunford
Frank Hernandez
Yes, it is a Ricardo,

Thank you Frank.

But I haven't a clue who made it, have you?
It looks as if it has a very low CR and the passage is very small, unlike the drawing Ricardo published where the passage slopes down to reach the centre of the bore.
Does it look skimmed?

Frank Hernandez
Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes, it is a Ricardo, but designed as a "Shock Absorber" I think this is due to detonation problems possibly due to the fuels at the time. I think it is a late thirties patent.

Frank, entirely "off the wall" and probably stupid but, I wonder if this was a head designed for supercharging? It would seem to fit with the peculiarities, low CR, little regard given to good breathing, plugs over the inlets rather than the exhaust valves????

Ian Mc.

Ian McGowan
Frank Hernandez
Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

Frank, entirely "off the wall" and probably stupid but, I wonder if this was a head designed for supercharging? It would seem to fit with the peculiarities, low CR, little regard given to good breathing, plugs over the inlets rather than the exhaust valves????

Ian Mc.

Ian, that idea seems far from stupid. I feel rather daft for not contemplating the blown explanation. I am also less sure about my presumption that the Ebay head is a W-H. Having seen an identical one with W-H stamped on the side is not really conclusive. The advert from 1932 makes me more doubtful since if it was a new design I would have expected them to make something of it.

I see the original"fleabay" advert mentioned is causing a frenzy of bidding!

Ian Dunford
I see the original"fleabay" advert mentioned is causing a frenzy of bidding!

Ian, I think you'll find that the first 6 days, 23 hours and 50 seconds are for viewing only..

Frank Hernandez
Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

The ricardo was patent was applied for in 1927 and approved in 1929.
His principal was to create turbulence to mix air and fuel better to reduce detonation.
According to automobile engineering in 1932 the top designers re compression chamber design were Ricardo.whatmough,and janeway in America.
Ricardo believed in swirl whatmough and janeway in free flow in gasses.
Interestingly rolls Royce used Ricardo in the 20's for chamber design.
I have machined a WH head,very good quality material,the Alta,like milk bottle tops!
With the Alta though,I 've always thought the the early head with plugs at 45 degrees,should work better than the later head,any one know?

Just for a moment there I thought someone had a special head for reversed-function valves - giving 4 inlet ports.

Austin in the shed
Frank Hernandez
Ruairidh Dunford

Photobucket

Photobucket

The ricardo was patent was applied for in 1927 and approved in 1929.
His principal was to create turbulence to mix air and fuel better to reduce detonation.
According to automobile engineering in 1932 the top designers re compression chamber design were Ricardo.whatmough,and janeway in America.
Ricardo believed in swirl whatmough and janeway in free flow in gasses.
Interestingly rolls Royce used Ricardo in the 20's for chamber design.
I have machined a WH head,very good quality material,the Alta,like milk bottle tops!
With the Alta though,I 've always thought the the early head with plugs at 45 degrees,should work better than the later head,any one know?

Are you sure that the patent you mention is for the design we are looking at?. He patented various swirl devices. In his and Clyde's 1941 publication this specific design is mentioned but the patent recently applied for.

Talking of swirl here is one more that may be of interest to some of you. This one although suffering at the hands of a previous owner is I believe from an American Bantam. Has "Made in USA D-3528" cast in.

Photobucket

I think the main thing I get from these photo's is on the top of the heads, the water is extracted from the rear of the head by the incorporated water manifold.

Look at the amount of outlets etc., on Andy Storers Ulster here - With many thanks to Austin Harris for taking us to that A7 Mille Miglia web site.

I'm not walking with these wonderful heads, I'm stuck with the bog standard, low compression heads. Overheating has been the main problem for me in the past and it's always the rear core plugs that blow. I agree it would help if I cleaned out the water channels in the block occasionally, but who does that on a 'bread&butter' RP. - Hold on, yes I do clean out the blocks now, but I still feel there's not enough 'flow'.

Again, many thanks Austin for nudging us to look a little deeper into the OP.

Re. the photo above this post, what on earth were they trying to do to the head, that's vandalism.

Ian Williams
Talking of swirl here is one more that may be of interest to some of you. This one although suffering at the hands of a previous owner is I believe from an American Bantam. Has "Made in USA D-3528" cast in.

Photobucket

I would have thought it difficult to do that much damage if you were trying and, presumably, he wasn't! What is it made out of, chocolate??

Ian Mc.

I think that it was the start of an attempt to reclaim waterway damage! The casting looks to be reasonable quality and probably die cast. It came in to me a job lot of parts and although probably scrap I just keep it as a curio.

Thanks, Ian.
It does make you wonder what goes on inside some peoples heads.

Ian Mc.

My Bantam and a spare head are both cast iron and have the same cast in number- C 7267. They look the same as the alloy one photographed. Is it American Austin perhaps?

I have the patent details for the number on the top of the cylinder head for the Ricardo stating the dates mentioned 1927 -1929R

1 2