Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ref SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS POST

Charles Leith

Thank you - yes - need to contact him, but how - thanks for the reminder - in all the dross this did get overlooked - needle in haystack of incredibly odd comments along the way Ruairidh...

Where do we find him please?

"Amilcar John" is his forum name, Type it in the search box at the top of the page and select "by User" from the drop down. Or just copy this.... john.chevers@dante.net

Charles

O you are still here!

There have been very many answers addressing the post from one angle or another, the fact that you dont like them is hardly anyone elses fault!

As it is quite apparent that no one has an early scoop skuttle body laying around which they wish to part with, the advise on building a body is, I would have thought, quite helpful. Short Radiators and shells come up on that well know auction site from time to time. Roach engineering will build a normal chummy body and to my mind they are quite a reasonable price.

Sadly the days of being able to build an A7 up from bits, on a budget of £3.50 have gone. My project sits in the garage awaiting funds at the moment, so I am not unsypathetic. However, haveing a serious go at pretty much everyone who has posted on this subject and the site in general is not going to win you many friends or allies!

Stuart (Not behind a wall anymore because it failed to deflect a lack a sense of humor)

Charles,

I would suggest (from experience) that it might be worth appealing for a core irrespective of its state, or even ask directly for one to donate tanks to a new core. Worst case you get something cheap that can be re-cored although there is a chance you will get something that someone with the right skills can economically repair.

The lower tank on my fathers chummy is a brass casting soldered to a brass pressed sheet piece. Its a wonderful thing but would be very expensive to replicate.

Regards

Rob

Short Rad shell sought

Rob Beck
Charles Leith

Thank you - yes - need to contact him, but how - thanks for the reminder - in all the dross this did get overlooked - needle in haystack of incredibly odd comments along the way Ruairidh...

Where do we find him please?

"Amilcar John" is his forum name, Type it in the search box at the top of the page and select "by User" from the drop down. Or just copy this.... john.chevers@dante.net

Thank you very much for this info - I will send him an e-mail

Rad Core sought

Thanks Rob for your very helpful advice - good points - will try that

Stuart Palmer
Charles

O you are still here!

There have been very many answers addressing the post from one angle or another, the fact that you dont like them is hardly anyone elses fault!

As it is quite apparent that no one has an early scoop skuttle body laying around which they wish to part with, the advise on building a body is, I would have thought, quite helpful. Short Radiators and shells come up on that well know auction site from time to time. Roach engineering will build a normal chummy body and to my mind they are quite a reasonable price.

Sadly the days of being able to build an A7 up from bits, on a budget of £3.50 have gone. My project sits in the garage awaiting funds at the moment, so I am not unsypathetic. However, haveing a serious go at pretty much everyone who has posted on this subject and the site in general is not going to win you many friends or allies!

Stuart (Not behind a wall anymore because it failed to deflect a lack a sense of humor)

Off topic replies don't answer the questions, do they? No-one this end has ever suggested building a car on £3.50.....the engine alone is several thousand pounds. The sense of humour evaporated when the quite humour-free 'going for the jugular attitude' came in from reply number 1. Have a look. I'm sure you might have a sense of humour failure and step back aghast at the line this post took initially, and continued until I stepped in and made a stand.

Re: Rad Core sought

About fifteen years ago I bought a very bashed about chummy body from the late John Heath from his premises at Much Hadham for a very small sum. His business was taken over by a young chap whose name escapes me at the moment, someone on here will tell us I'm sure. My point is that there may be some remnants still left in that yard which may be of use.

Graham? Huckle
Kettle Green
Much Hadham
Herts
SG10 6AF 01279 842735

Lance Sheldrick
Graham? Huckle
Kettle Green
Much Hadham
Herts
SG10 6AF 01279 842735

Thank you - have tried it but alas, no reply.

Is it a scoop scuttle?
There's a nice photo of one of our new bodies in Charles' wanted advert!!

Charles Leith
Thank you - yes - need to contact him, but how -

Apologies Charles, as you has said you were familiar with the runnings of Forums I "took it as red" you would understand what I had meant. I see Dr Rob is as ever on the case and has pointed you in the right direction however.

Charles Leith
I'm sorry there's been no reply on that - I think your kind offer came through on that Friday just before the VSCC Cotswold trial near Cheltenham last Saturday week with all that rain - and we had intended to ring you on the way back via Bristol but it all got too late at the end of a days' marshalling on the trial. Have you got any photos you could wing over please?

I had made the offer to Will, but as you've stepped in now I guess I can offer them via you, no problem. I don't have any photos and the parts are currently in storage at my father's house near Bristol, I live in Glasgow. You can contact him (Ian Dunford) on 01454 778021 most evenings or at his office at The Seven Workshop on 01225 868696, to arrange a viewing, he may even oblige with some photos, I will leave it for you now to contact him and make the necessary arrangements.

(quote)Off topic replies don't answer the questions, do they? No-one this end has ever suggested building a car on £3.50.....the engine alone is several thousand pounds. The sense of humour evaporated when the quite humour-free 'going for the jugular attitude' came in from reply number 1. Have a look. I'm sure you might have a sense of humour failure and step back aghast at the line this post took initially, and continued until I stepped in and made a stand.(/quote)

I agree that off topic replies do not answer YOUR question, however they are of interest to many others. I for one had my suspicions that trying to steam wood for a body was a waste of time in these days of modern glues. So surely they do no harm?

The Chassis that you / your son own was sent out to a coach builder, it will have identification as quoted somewhere in this thread signifying this. As such it will always be somewhat of a poisoned challis if built up as a special. The stigma of having, in recent history, the remains of the body still with the chassis will remain with that chassis for a very long time! Im afraid the opening reply on here, whilst inaccrurate, will not be the last time such things are said of the car!

I personaly found your outburst against the "traders" quite inexplicable and offensive. Without the small busineses supplying new parts we would not be able to run our fun little cars! Anyone self employed or running a small business at the moment is under preasure, times are hard! The investment which has gone into sourcing new parts is huge, so I think its quite acceptable for suppliers to have a winge every now and then. I should point out I am not a supplier or in the A7 industry.

Ok thats the end of it, as far as Im concerned. You said you were unsubscribing and I belive you to be a man of your word.

Stuart

From the first mention of this vehicle it seemed there would be tears before bedtime.

I am surprised, given Dads self confessed great knowledge of the internet, classic cars and obviously broad range of contacts, that he didn't suggest that the remnants of a very interesting historical car, still with some valuable parts and a chassis as supplied to a coachbuilder, should be offered to someone with sufficient interest to rebuild the car completely as with Malcolm Parkers car - and I wouldn't think he is a money bags builder.

I am sure Dad knows of Bugattis, Bentleys etcetera that have been reconstructed from much less. Perhaps the fact that it was a lowly Austin Seven that this course wasn't taken.

To build a 'special' with the rare parts acquired should not be the preferred way and I would have suggested that any old early chassis, running gear and engine would suffice - and if this 'special' was to re create a rather odd early 'special', who would know.

Tony.

How come no one has asked me for my chassis to build a milliner??

Tony,

No one has yet said to me anything along the lines of:
Oh - please could I buy your chassis for ££££ / swap it for my similarly vintage chassis in good condition / restored. I'm building a Mulliner Fabric saloon, and it would be a real bonus to build it up on an original chassis. Thank you so much, I do hope you consider my offer.

I'm trying to get myself into the world of vintage car driving, and I'm afraid Austin sevens are still the cheapest way to do it, so I saw my way in by buying a rolling chassis when it came up for sale!

You're right - people build up cars using fewer parts for example people out there find a part of a type 13 Bugatti and all of a sudden their type 23 is now a Brescia! Blue Nick - based for decades on a rolls 20 chassis is called a 30/98! They made about 280,000 austin sevens. They made about 500 30/98s of which about half that number still exist - making them truly precious and valuable - there is one for sale today at H&H auctions in Newbury - have a look at the estimate! If anyone is genuinely as precious about my car as any of you have lead me to believe, offer me some money and prove me wrong and build a Mulliner! The chassis is lowered for sports use, and the rear axle ratio has been modified to 5.25:1. You'll have quite a job undoing all my work. Unless you have a pre 1930 chassis lying around in fully restored condition, ready to go with a racing engine or a lot of money, you certainly won't get the engine, as after three years of saving and collection of parts, it has been tuned up to the heavens by Pigsty - one of the reasons I can't now afford to visit Mr Roach for a shiny new bodywork, and one of the reasons my car will be really quite special, like Mr Inglis' car.

Please - I emplore you, take my offer. By the way it doesn't have the valued C prefix...

My car is not and will not be listed for sale unless Mr Mulliner Fabric Saloon builder can make it worth my while - who I would be genuinely delighted to meet.

I am sorry to seem upset about this matter - I'm still excited to be joining the world of Austin seven ownership, but I'm frankly tired of reading posts by people from the sidelines who aren't prepared to do it themselves.

Thank you everyone who has been a help to me. By the way, I used to play the saxophone in a band too! I was the lead alto!

Re: How come no one has asked me for my chassis to build a milliner??

Will,
Have a look at Sales and Wants. There is a short rad and shell offered in exchange for the one you already have.

Rad Shell and core swap

Lance Sheldrick
Will,
Have a look at Sales and Wants. There is a short rad and shell offered in exchange for the one you already have.

Lance !

Great news - thank you - it does come to those that ask - after a while!

I've written to the advertiser and hope we can do a swap or something so he has the benefit of the use of our rad and core too, rather than ours gathering dust in the corner.

For the benefit of post readers, this will enable my son - new to Austin 7s - to enjoy the thrill of another generation of Seven owners taking to the roads in these great cars.

Thanks v much for the tip off

Re: Rad Shell and core swap

Erm, Will says the chassis in question does NOT have the precious C prefix, so isn't a lot of the above a waste of effort?
Not a Mulliner, or any other coachbuilt it would seem, after all.

Will, good luck with your search, but don't forget the home build possibility. It really isn't that difficult if you're motivated enough.

Martin

Re: Rad Shell and core swap

Martin Field
Erm, Will says the chassis in question does NOT have the precious C prefix, so isn't a lot of the above a waste of effort?
Not a Mulliner, or any other coachbuilt it would seem, after all.

Will, good luck with your search, but don't forget the home build possibility. It really isn't that difficult if you're motivated enough.

Martin

Having a "C" stamped in front of the chassis number does not denote a chassis intended for a coachbuild. It was the standard method of marking 'til about '28/'29.

See here..... http://www.a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Will,

I take your point about cars with small production numbers, but even though based on the 'mass produced' (sic) Austin Seven, the Mulliner was only made in very small numbers.

In the Austin Seven world cars like an original Gordon England Cup and similar (still based on an Austin Seven chassis) attract considerable attention.

This is not to mention the fabled Gr*ssh*pp*r Check the archive.

Sorry your question attracted quite a bit of sometimes harsh comment but welcome to the fun of the Austin Seven.

Just out of interest you wrote "I'm trying to get myself into the world of vintage car driving, and I'm afraid Austin sevens are still the cheapest way to do it, so I saw my way in by buying a rolling chassis when it came up for sale!"

I suggested this recently but was promptly corrected by some members pointing out that there are quite a few cheaper Vintage Cars out there

Tony.

Here we go off on yet another tangent. Henry - are you sure about all chassis having a 'C' stamped before the number up to '28/'29? As one who has been involved in at least half a dozen Pramhoods, I've yet to see a 'C', although David Cochrane tells me his 1925 Chummy has it. The only 'C' I've actually seen in the flesh/iron is on my 1930 Ulster. Apologies to Will/Keith for the slight diversion, but it's how we learn more about Sevens, by asking on the Forum. Cheers, Bill

Location: Mount Eliza, (not a mountain but hilly, overlooking the Bay) Australia

So what IS cheaper than a Seven?
Despite their prices these days.

Martin

Martin Field
So what IS cheaper than a Seven?
Despite their prices these days.

Martin

hi martin,

there are cars like the morris eight.

but dont look at one car on the road being cheaper than another.

if you were a lucky man you may find a vintage bentley tucked in a barn that someone sells you for £5k in theory a cheap car.but when it needs a new cylinder head costing £6k it no longer feels cheap.

the austin 7 is a cheap vintage car,because it still has a good cheap supply of spares to keep it on the road.and those spares are still cheaper than any other vintage car.a cylinder head for £175.

thats what makes it a cheap entry car.

loose your suppliers and you loose the austin 7 as a cheap entry level car.

there endeth the lesson.

Martin,

I can't find the posted reply now but something like a Humber or Morris was suggested as cheaper than the usual pre 1930 Chummy at around £14,000 upwards and I recently saw an M type MG listed for £14,950.

I take Tony B's point about Austin 7 spare part price and availability being very reasonable compared to many others.

Tony.

When I first started playing with Austin 7's a bullnose Morris was at least twice the price of a chummy. I have recently seen two for less than £10,000, one at auction and the other advertised.

There's a 1929 Lea Francis on ebay at the moment with a 'buy it now' price of £12,000. Personally I'd rather the VSCC buggered that up than a chummy.

Lance Sheldrick
There's a 1929 Lea Francis on ebay at the moment with a 'buy it now' price of £12,000. Personally I'd rather the VSCC buggered that up than a chummy.

It has a modern engine and, the seller admits, a poorly finished non original body that 'looks fabulous from a distance'. In reality, it's little more than a restored rolling chassis without engine and at that, probably worth the £12k being asked.

A correct Meadows 4ED engine will cost you something like £15k - £25k depending on condition and where from - that's if you can find one in the first place.

Steve

They already have then!

I expect quite a few who contribute to this site have other classic/vintage cars so they will realise just how expensive restoration and ownership of these are compared to an A7. I have been helping a mate rebuild his 1934 MG PA over the last 7 years and it has cost him an arm and a leg in new or secondhand parts,so much so that he daren't contemplate adding up the total cost.The crank was cracked and the engine block was unsound so a new Phoenix crank was purchased at twice the price of an A7 crank,and a secondhand block purchased for about an arm and a leg. Another example is he was requiring a new petrol tap which from a well known MG parts supplier would have cost £185. It wasn't a particularly complex item so he managed to repair the old one for next to nothing as it turned out.

I used to think that the chassis destined for coachbuilders had the C prefix but it would appear that was not the case.
Several years ago I bought an interesting coupe de ville Austin 7 which was on a 1929 chassis, complete with C prefix. I have rebodied it as a genuine copy of a replica Gordon England Brooklands!
I will once again ask Ian McGowan to do his magic with the photos of the before and after. There will be a prize for anyone who can come up with a more amusing Austin 7 variant!

I can't suggest anything to better your variant Malcolm but look forward to hearing what others say. I meant to say earlier in the thread how much I admire the work you have put into the Pitchley, marvelous!

I attach a photo of the plate I understand was fitted to all chassis destined for coach builders workshops that may be of interest to some.

Malcolm Parker
I used to think that the chassis destined for coachbuilders had the C prefix but it would appear that was not the case.
Several years ago I bought an interesting coupe de ville Austin 7 which was on a 1929 chassis, complete with C prefix. I have rebodied it as a genuine copy of a replica Gordon England Brooklands!
I will once again ask Ian McGowan to do his magic with the photos of the before and after. There will be a prize for anyone who can come up with a more amusing Austin 7 variant!

Photos as requested by Malcolm.

BEFORE.......

AND AFTER....

Ian Mc.

I have heard of a top hat saloon but -

"How come no one has asked me for my chassis to build a milliner"

Tony

PS I have just noticed that the subject topic has changed two or three times lately - not seen that before

maybe because you'd have to take your hat off to anyone who wanted to??

Ian Mc.

As an amusing aside to the 'before and after' photos above, my neighbour, who is a very intelligent chap who previously worked at GCHQ, asked me if my latest acquisition was an invalid carriage!

And it has been known as and referred to as the 'Invalid Carriage' ever since.

The Brooklands does look rather better and even better in the flesh than it does in the photo.

Steve

Malcolm Parker
As an amusing aside to the 'before and after' photos above, my neighbour, who is a very intelligent chap who previously worked at GCHQ, asked me if my latest acquisition was an invalid carriage!

and, I presume you have preserved for posterity that interesting wooden framework??

Ian Mc.

Shouldnt the 555 be 666?

The GE looks wonderful though!

Its a good job there isnt anyone around who gets upset about off topic comments!

Stuart

The invalid carriage weighed an absolute ton. The floor was 1" floorboards on 3" x 2" joists. The strange sponsons under the doors were fixed to heavy angle iron
brackets under the chassis. I think the panelling may have been done professionally, shame about the frame. The wings may have been Morris 8 and were given to an Autojumbler for recycling. I kept the bizarre detachable rear roof section for several years but eventually took it to the tip. All the hundreds of brass screws and the usable bits of aluminium beading were retained and some have been incorporated in the Pytchley. On the bulkhead under the bonnet there were the original Austin chassis and body plates which are now on the Brooklands.
I hope eventually to get the number plate back for the Brooklands.

Malcolm

O dear Malcolm, do you realise what you have done? It has just occured to me what this car was, the 555 gave it away. This was non other than the fabled Prodrive built A7 special, the very first car built by the renowned rally car builder and one time F1 team owners. Prodrive went on to build world rally championship winning Subarus which still carried the 555 logo and often incorporated it in the registration number! The late great Colin McRae won the WRC in such a car, link below.

http://www.colinmcrae.com/#third-tab

I hope you are suitably ashamed at destroying such an historic car.

Stuart.

I still have sleepless nights over destroying this unique body! It was almost so bad it should have been preserved for posterity. At one time I considered bodging it up for use in VSCC trials but I didn't want to bring the Club into disrepute.
Fortunately I have sufficient photos of the car should anyone wish to create a replica!

I do hate to see a perfectly good Special butchered into an original car replica like that!

Martin

The meandering route this thread has taken should be a lesson to all other motoring enthusiast forums that chug on relentlessly in pursuit of the original topic.

This is what in my view makes the Austin Seven Friends forum so special and long may it continue.

Not only have we seen the vain attempt to save a historic car, but also the demise of a rather dreadful special by being given the "gentleman's way out", handed the revolver and asked to retire to the library...and ultimately the rebirth of a beautifully built GE replica...that could only happen here!

Marvellous isn't it?

And long may it continue!!

1 2