Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paxton specials

From an article in the April 1987 "Automobile" the Paxton body was built by Colin Westwood in his South London workshop,nine of them having being built from 1985 to the date the article was published.This particular article is about the first one built for and with the help of Derek Wassell,"an experienced Austin Seven owner and restorer" The basis was a very derelict Pearl Cabriolet and was built in a week(?) in time for a 750 Motor Club test day.It weighed about 6cwt.
Dave.

I have been clearing out the garage and car effects of Ken & Marion Hart, the former owners of my 1931 Tourer, Daisy. Ken has a 4-page typewritten 'brochure' for the Paxton (dated May 1985) - description, photos of tub and assembled, specification and dimensions, and price (£310 complete)

The address is C.W. Westwood, 1-7, Paxton Mews, west Norwood, London SE27 9SS. Tel 01-761 5675

Barry,
You tel no is not recognised, too short I believe. Could you amend or call me on 01256782765
Rgds
Derek

Back in the mid 1980s 01-761-**** numbers were correct for Gypsy Hill and west Norwood.
I believe these numbers became 020-8761-****

There is no Westward in the phone book for that address and No.7 Paxton Mews is occupied by
Parkside Fabrications

Ian Mc.

tony betts
if my memory serves me right.and i am entering the age were one side of the brain is contradicting the other.

the customer told me the bodys were called paxton after an area in south london.wich is were they were made.

but if someone is better informed,please correct me.

perhams someone has old adverts for the bodies being sold and the adress will be on it.

Joseph Paxton was the designer of The Crystal Palace. Many places in South London were named after him and still are. I always understood the Paxton was named after this great man and I shall continue with that myth rather than it being named after a small street somewhere in the depths of that area.

In the crowded South East

hi richard,

i cant remember everthing.

and you are probably right.

as i sed it was somthing to do with that area of south london.

never suggested the paxton was named after a street.

tony

There is a rather splendid Folly to the west of Llandeilo called Paxton's Tower.

In case anyone else was itching to know what they look like:

One sold by Pioneer Automobiles

...and another they sold

article on ebay

David

photo KSCN0001.jpg

Thesed are pictures of the Paxton I built some 20 years ago