Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RP Sun Roof

Here's a tip: When I fitted the frame to the roof I used a countersunk brass bolt and nut at the rearmost fixing to pull the frame down tight. The bolt passed through to the underside of the inboard wood section. I wasn't happy to rely on the several wood screws to bend the frame down. Checking the centres of these screws is another item to note if you are viewing another car
Ron

Roger, would you mind if I pinch those sun roof details for the RP Pinterest site?

Ivor,

No problem the more pictures the better if it helps to rebuild cars.
I have found them all very helpfull.

Roger

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tips about bolting the frame in place.
Do you have any more advice, particulaly about fitting the Vinyl to the roof, how do you join the separate bits and what sealant do you advise.
What is the best way to treat the corner where it is folded underneath?

Regards

Roger

Thanks Roger, will do!

Hi Roger,
You are stretching my memory a bit on this one as it is some 40 years since I sorted out the roof on my RP. As you will have gathered, the covered steel and wood frame is dropped down as a completed item on to the 1 5/8" plate as shown in Sandy's sketch. I had the steel strip, shown in blue, screwed directly on to the 13/16 x 13/16 section (Sandy's sketch suggests that the padding and hessian are trapped between the steel and wood).
Wrongly I placed a thin aluminium sheet in lieu of hessian and 1/8" thick foam sheet in lieu of padding - only did it this way because of what was easily available -but it has worked! The foam and ally were taken to the outside edge of the steel frame. The vinyl however was continued around and underneath the steel strip and tacked into the side of the 13/16" section - round about K in the sketch. I was strongly advised to ensure the vinyl was warmed when fitting, so the job was done in front of a 3 bar electric fire. This ensures a good taughtness thereafter. I assume I trimmed most of the material away at the corners to get a mitred overlap. The sealant was Dumdum but only where the completed frame met up with the car body; no sealant was used elsewhere. A Sikoflex sealant is probably what others would use today. I expect someone will post a note on the right stuff. email me if you want clarification or a bit more info

Ron

Slightly off track, I redid my Ruby sunroof back in the 70s, It had been totally sealed up as had the windscreen with putty! I also used aluminium sheet as it was available from old Trident's wings. The problem I had was that having stood in traffic, in rain, the first time braking after that doused the back of my neck with cold water.
Has any one successfully solved this, I imagine an RP would be similar.
I envisage a very soft 'L' shaped flange fitted to the rear of the sliding part of the roof.
Any thoughts please.

As shown in Rogers third photo, there are two long rectagular holes in the side rail, and there is a return on the cross piece also to discourage water surging into the car, and finally a lot of the sunroofs I've seen and worked on had a rubber piece like a wiper blade pointing downwards to within a 1mm of the fixed roof area.

Hi Ian,

Thought you may like these to add these to you collection.
Not mine but taken of another RP near me as part of my research into what I am aiming to achieve.

Roger

Thanks for the heads up Roger, I've posted these detail shots on the RP Pinterest site...I know for one, that I'm going to need them!

Photos from Roger's post above:

Roger

RP roof RHS front corner photo Slidigroof2_zpsb13ba3f7.jpg

RP Sun Roof  Rail and Drain Holes photo RPRoofRails3_zpsa02f77d6.jpg

photo RPRoofRails4_zpsd2d70235.jpg

RP Sun Roof Rail photo RPRoofRails5_zps5f51679e.jpg

RP Front from LHS of car photo Slidingrooffrontrail_zpscb52b54a.jpg

RP Rear LHS Rail photo Slidingroofnearsiderearrail_zps31f78cf3.jpg

RP sunroof LHS rear corner, rear view of sliding roof panel photo Slidingroofrearend_zpsf047f8d5.jpg

RP sunroof rear RHS corner photo Slidingroofoffsiderear_zps4665772f.jpg

RP Sunroof fastening screw and rail RHS front corner photo Slidingroofclampscre_zps915dc581.jpg

Inside front of sunroof RP photo Slidingroofclamprail_zpsa0ccbc05.jpg

RP roof RHS front corner photo Slidigroof2_zpsb13ba3f7.jpg

RP Roof RHS front photo RoofRailsRP_zpsdcd6bc35.jpg