Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spares and other things you carry with you

Hi everyone, as I'm new to running an Austin 7 does anyone have any top tips for spares tools and other things to carry when I'm out and about?

I assume I'll need a suitable tool kit, some spares and wot not.

Probably a charged mobile phone and the number of a recovery company!

What else?
Thanks

Rupert

Re: Spares and other things you carry with you

Just stay very close to Ruiaridh, Rupert, he carries sufficient spares to build a new A7 from scratch!

Ian Mc.

Brilliant!

Just replaced a top fan pulley from stock at the side of the road on the Fife run. like Ian says, stick close and you'll be fine Rupert!

When I did the Jogle a couple of years ago, I must have had over a cwt of spares in the car.
The only things I needed in the end were :-
1. The carb banjo bolt and filter - they had become undone and vibrated off (onto the M6) the smell of petrol allerted me.... ..... I did have a complete Carb with me.
2. A HT lead for the coil to dizzy, one of the split washers had given way and there was no proper contact in the top of the coil. As I had a complete dizzy head with all the leads on, no problem. This soldered joint had failed after 45+ years...
So what spares ? .... those that your able and have the skill to use.. !!!

Over the years Ive rarely carried much in the way of spare parts, either on the road or at race meetings. Sods Law states that whatever you have with you will not be what you want at the critical moment.
I'd go for a mobile phone and friends in the Austin Seven movement. All I'd take with me would be a spark plug or two, a set of ignition points, odds and ends of wire and some spare nuts and bolts. Then a few tools to dismantle the carb and clean jets, tighten anything that comes loose and change a wheel.
If properly looked after, our cars are more reliable than people think.

My tool kit has always consisted of a small selection of spanners, a couple of screwdrivers, bulbs, spark plugs, fuses, a few lengths of wire, duct tape, rags and not a lot else. Just enough to bodge it up sufficiently to get me home! As a daily driver, both long and short distance, that served me just fine. I think the only time I ever had to be actually towed home was when my cylinder head gasket decided to give up in quite spectacular fashion. They're really very reliable if looked after and used regularly.

Had you been travelling with me Charlotte I could have saved you the indignaty of a tow home

I rarely use the spares I carry but many others do!

After having just returned from a ten-day tour round the Pecos Mountains in Spain with our Box Saloon and two other A7's, I will now ensure that all spare parts carried in future will be brand new. After coming to a few unscheduled halts over the first few days and renewed virtually the whole ignition system with new components and the trouble still persisted. We eventually put a brand spanking new coil on, replacing the spare 80-year old one that I had put on a few hours before, the car worked perfectly. What is the point of us carrying components around like this under the rear seat and when they are really needed they turn out to be life expired. Very poor preparation on my part and thanks to the two guys who got us out of the mire.

Brian, one of my former bosses told me he had one advantage over me
when I was called into the 'Office' over an error, he'd say
".. he had the right answer / solution to the problem(s) via the gift of hindsight".
PS Hope the holiday went well ... see around soon.

Wonderful quote Sandy, and so true to life.

Geoff - Ready to do battle with something, but haven't decided what yet.

Rupert,
Shame on you featuring the opposition!

Geoff - Still cogitating on what to do

With the availability of insurance schemes, instant communication, and all hours breakdown service, many are now somewhat cavalier. But with an old car a garage will often not carry suitable basic parts, so still end up stranded.

Colleagues running older cars, not just Sevens, regularly experience trouble with electrical items, esp old or aftermarket coils, condensers and rotors.
The tendency to adopt more modern plug gaps contributes. A condenser can be quickly fitted externally.
On long adventures I always carried/y a petrol pump or diaphragm, or bits to cobble some gravity feed arrangement. Head gasket, valve, and a kingpin! If really far from home a valve and collets.

Many serious Seven holdups can be avoided by careful occasional inspection, or before any major expedition; spring main leaves, steering arm, fabric universal, all axle shaft ends, distributor drive gear, hub flanges, dyn brushes. The split pin discourages regular tightening of the axle nuts; if nothing wrong pin not necessary. Even big ends are easily inspected occasionally. And a tested old crank is probably reliable for 20,000 miles of reasonable use.

Great care is necessary when tinkering far from home not to drop key small parts amongst grass or stones. Choose where to tinker, or lay a sheet.

Just as important as parts carried is the tools and equipment. A length of clothesline wire can retain all sorts of major parts, and be unpicked to bind repair fuel connections, prod oil jets etc. A length of tubing for fuel etc. And electrical wire with a small switch. It is often quicker to completely rewire some item than to trace a fault.I carry a battery operated lamp with long leads which can be sacrificed if required. Thin card and miniature scissors and goo for gaskets. Piece of sheet metal and miniature snips. A few screws and nuts and bolts. A piece of inner tube.

A bowl or tray sufficent to contain sump oil and a container to fetch petrol or water. The latter with a petrol tap so can be used as a gravity feed.
With a Seven a modern battery charger may justify its now modest weight!

Bob Culver

Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated. I'm starting to think I should just get Ruairidh to drive me around. Would be lots easier!

Geoff what do you mean?

Geoff 'OuBallie' Halstead
Rupert,
Shame on you featuring the opposition!

Geoff - Still cogitating on what to do

is morris the old enemy of Austin? Or are yo a Vw fan who didn't like commers

Rupert,

"is morris the old enemy of Austin?"

Yes!

Tony.

Rupert.
A good selection of tools and spares are an esential part of your touring ensamble.
A mobile phone and list of helpful friends are only of use if the phone has a signal and/or your friends are at home.

OK Rupert, everyone has hedged around the issue and, what you carry is very much down to the individual but, at the risk of ridicule, here is my "loading list".

LOCATION OF TOOLS AND SPARES.

FRONT PASSENGER SEAT.

Oil filler Funnel,
spanners and sockets,
spare rag.

DRIVER’S SEAT.

Whitworth Combination spanners,
Thread files,
Hub Puller,
Screwdrivers Lge, Med, Small, Stubby.
3/8” AF Comb. Spanner,
Tyre Pressure gauge,
Linesman’s Pliers,
Jet Key,
Diamond Files,
Tyre Levers,
Spare wheel nuts,
Hammer,
Sparking plugs.
Wheel nut spanner,
Spare spokes and nipple key,
Multi-Tools & Knife,
Feeler Gauges,
Emergency oil filler cap,
Torch LED,
Headlamp LED,
Hand wipes,
Voltmeter,
Gas Soldering Iron,
Choc. Block Connector,
Tow Rope,
Jacking Block,
Spare bulbs,
Prop Shaft Flexi Coupling + studs and Nuts,
Drain Plug.

REAR SEAT N/S.

Foot Pump,
Spare inner Tube,
Radiator hose + Clips
Fan Belt,
Puncture Outfit,
Distributor Cap + Acorns + clip + washers + HT Lead,
BA screws, Coil, Points, Rotor Arm, Condenser etc
Wiper Arm + Blade
Wheel studs + Nuts,
Flasher Unit,
Rag.

REAR SEAT O/S

Jack + Handle,
Rubber Gloves,
Hacksaw,
Wire,
Tape,
Fibre Washers + Nuts & Bolts in tin.
2 valves, collets, springs,
set of new Big End shells.

AMMO BOX containing:

Wire, Tape, PTFE Tape, Choc. Blocks, Small G-Cramp, Small File,”AnyFit” spanner,
springs, Mole Grips,
Sharpening stone,
Tin Snips,
8” Adj. Spanner,
Parallel Jaw Pliers,
81 Pliers,
Loctite & Red Hermatite,
ScotchBrite Pad,
Small Blowlamp + Solder,
Plain & Phillips Screwdrivers,
Wheelnut Wrench.

Ian Mc.

Sorry Rupert, I missed off that list:

Full gasket set,
pair of front wheel bearings,
clutch release bearing.

Ian Mc.

More useful discussion here Rupert: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=959840&cmd=show

I'd completely forgotten that thread R, as well as the halfshaft anf key!!

Ian Mc.

Hi all

Have been intrigued by these disclosures, although the "out and about" of the original clearly morphed into "far and away".

About the only items which surprised me were the wheel and clutch bearings. Seven wheel bearings are very generously proportioned, although running with a broken axle will ruin the rear one. And the Seven rear spring main leaf is a key component, although careful inspection will reveal progressing cracks. I have had a kingpin break and many report the same. A routine quick shake of the wheel will often detect before the pieces work out!(Girling) A wise check after any wild stop with efficient brakes.

Apart from when moving residence around the country on a few occasions in my youth I have not been sufficiently far from home to warrant the full complement. But then the kit included a crankcase with assembled crank on the carrier!

And for anyone testing steering arms, cracks do not only occur in the radius but also at the radius at the root of the boss, although the former usually win the race!

Bob Culver

So your positive contribution to ths post is???
Or are you saying that because of all the problems you forsee we should never go past the end of the road?

Ian, no steering Arm ?...

Location: On the very Edge of Europe....West of Jelbert, Brian, Alastair, Bob and everybody else..

Well,I do carry a spare steering arm actually Sandy,but I expect you are
chiding one of the myriad other Ian's on here.

Ian/Dad,

these have been missing since your last visit, do you know where they might be?

On the plus side, Tanya is unusually happy since they disappeared! Is this due to you or the pills leaving?

Sandy Croall
Ian, no steering Arm ?...

'Fraid not Sandy. If I had one on the shelf, I'd carry it but, as I don't, I can't. You have to stop somewhere!!

Just out of curiosity, how many steering arms have you had actually break on you whilst driving??

Ian Mc.

1 Ian. Well actually I was unloading it off a trailer. The previous time I drove the car, I was timed at 70 MPH by a following car so I count myself lucky. I now have 1 of David Cochranes replacement types on all of my sevens. cheers Russell

I have not had one break myself Ian,but I have seen two go in 50 years. Both occurred when the driver was attempting a 3 point turn in a narrow lane (in Devon)I now try not to make similar movements but carry one just in case.
I also carry a similar selection of get me home kits as you.
I have also had a king pin break,but it turned out to down to a faulty manufacturer who had hardened them right through.I don't know anyone else that this has happened to in recent times however,which is encouraging.

Ian D may remember that Ray Hood had a steering box arm break in Ireland, it was the later hour glass type.

You're right. That was very unexpected. So much so that it had gone right to the back of what was once my mind.

Ian McGowan
...Just out of curiosity, how many steering arms have you had actually break on you whilst driving??
A good Q. Ian, and, none since 1961, however due to recent chiding / publicity about cracked arms etc., I thought I'd better carry one.
Cornwall's Black-Hand gang can be persuasive..

I'm always curious as to where people manage to do all this repair work at the side of a road, anytime I've needed to give the car attention, it's on a minor road, by a farm gate with big lorries thundering by..... I feel in more danger there than on a Motorway - at least on the M/W the recovery people have to be with you within 20mins....

Or as happened in Feb 1965, outside Motherwell 4am, ice about, snow on the road and the electrickery was playing up - This was finally found to be the connector on the dizzy end of the lead from the coil to the dizzy, touching the body of the dizzy. But 4am, in February, outside Motherwell, no phones, no recovery etc.... Brrr was I frozen. ...
Oh, what was I doing there, returning to home in Winchester from visiting my Father up in Sutherland... Like we did, in those days.

Location: On the very Edge of Europe....West of Jelbert, Brian, Alastair, Bob and everybody else..

In an effort to get back on track, there is a list of tools & spares in The Austin Seven Companion though I have to agree with another contributor who suggested that a small number of items of the "get you going" nature would be ok with the addition of a get you home breakdown service.

In 1970 on our way back from Vienna(in the RK) I broke a half shaft in the middle of France on the edge of a small Limousin village.
By the time we had fitted the replacement(from the back seat)the entire population had joined in the celebrations,including trestle tables of food and wine,the village band ,community dancing,and a hangover for me. But what fun and unexpected delights.
I have had similar experiences to Sandy as well on cold snowy nights,but tend to try and forget those.
Vive la France.

I think now, reading back through this posting,there appears to be at least two kinds of owners.
Those who like to try and do it themselves,and those who prefer to leave it to others .
There is more than enough room for all of us I think.

Steering arms are an item which should be and are easily thoroughly verified so there is no need to carry(except for unfortunate/fortunate others!).

It is unwise to assume any failure will be at parking speed. At 70,000 miles the arm on my car failed midway through a gentle curve at 30 mph. A major crash was avoided only because the car chanced to strike a high kerb at a shallow angle.

I have about 7 arms, none removed for suspicion, but all but one of which when tested with a magnet and fluid are seriously cracked, some in two places.

The weakness must have been known to Austin yet the same frail part was continued for the heavy wide tyred Rubys. Such an act today would be very expensive.

If your car chances to be boxed into a park can get out and tug on the tyres instead of the steering wheel.

Most of those who suffered failure in non benign circumstances would have promptly quit the Seven fraternity, and some quit all earthly fraternities.

Bob Culver

The two types of steering arms fitted to Sevens illustrating how the design was altered latterly:

A copy of David's article I published in the A7CA Magazine illustrates the differences, the reasons for them and how he incorporated them into his new arms very well: http://www.a7c.co.uk/downloads/MagazineArticle.pdf

An alternative attempt to overcome the issue can be seen here:

And more information on the issue here:

http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/Bruce/austin_seven_steering_arms.html

Bruce also offered a solution to bracing the original but the pictures appears to have removed.

Discussion can also be found here:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=519758&cmd=show

I regularly have single trip distances of between 2500 miles and 5500 miles over the period of a month or so, plenty of miles for a crack to develop and it would be foolhardy not to carry a crack tested spare, I am sure you'll agree.

I suppose if I had not driven a Seven for several decades,and even then not very far I might acquire this sanguine approach to the carrying of spares.
However being a belt and braces man,and having the experience of knowing that if something can go wrong, it will, no matter how well prepared you are,then some bits under the seat make for happier motoring.
I have had a valve spring break in the south of France,a distributor cap crack in Norway, a fabric coupling in Germany,(all of which I have been able to fix at the roadside), and other disasters too numerous to mention.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I fitted a brace to my specials steering arm something like 20 years ago, however a couple of years back during a front axle rebuild I was surprised to discover that even with the additional support of the brace the arm had developed cracks. The car had probably covered 40k of hard motoring but nether the less all of my cars have now been fitted with Davids revised steering arms!

A particularly disturbing aspect of the Cochrane article is that the illustrated broken arm appears to have failed when cracked only 1/5 of the way through, as so many have. Most items, axle shafts, cranks, usually proceed far beyond this. Cranks about 9/10! Even spring leaves typically progress 1/3 way.(Possibly the particular arm was broken deliberately.)

The particular illustrated brace, whilst enabling control to be maintained, would appear not to eliminate flexing to the extent that fatigue avoided.

Should anyone chance upon a good Big 7 arm, the curve does not suit other Sevens.

I appreciate the steering arm topic has been raised on many occasions but still owners unaware are regularly encountered. It cannot be excessively publicised.

Bob Culver

And thanks Ruairidh for the references

I have just read through the 2006 posts. Some of the attitudes were unbelievable.

There are no other potential failures quite as dangerous as disconnection of the wheels from the steering wheel.

There is confusion between fatigue related failure and brute force failure. The fact that an uncracked arm or any other component might be able to be bent like a horseshoe has little bearing on the behaviour of the same part cracked part through.

I test parts with a magnet and fluid and experience. Parts have to be polished but the commercial process avoids this. I have found cracks which the non magnetic dye technique failed to find.

Cracks extend very considerably beyond what may be visible. Soaking the part in dirty kero, polishing the part, soaking again, drying, then wrapping with a hammer and closely examining, possibly with talc, is about the best you can do without special fluids.

Bob Culver