Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Cup in a box...

I have a birthday this year (it's all the rage don't 'ya know?), in fact I've had 39 of them already! I decided to treat myself to an early present, and it's arrived!

I am soooo excited!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That should keep the children busy for a few weekends...

Re: Cup in a box...

look like its drying well.

should keep you warm for next winter

done well with that steering wheel though.

look forward to seeing it running.

tony

I figured the woodworm and wet rot holes will make it lighter for racing...

Almost there then R, all you need now is a windsceen! Knowing how quickly you get things done I guess the Cup will be out for Drive it day 2013?

Thats an interesting approach to chassis stiffening, any cornering speed gains well off set by the weight!

That lot is probably easier to put together than the Lego'ish pirate ship I'v been building for James over the last couple of weekends. What a b*&%^$r that is!

Stuart.

Of course we will need photos of the progress, Ruairidh. Your rebuilding and restoration skills are legendary and much admired and we are all interested in watching your process of bringing a Cup back to life.
Robert - counting the days until Spring!

Blimey Robert, no pressure there then!

Ruairidh,

Looks good! (I completely forgot to look at it in the metal)

Is the chassis one of the austin supplied spares specifically for cup models? John Bolsters book 'Motoring is my business' has a description of these chassis, Richard Bolster had one on his pink cup model (factory supplied colour!)

R

Hi Rob,

If you are able give me the description I should be able to give you an answer.

"Perhaps I should here remark that the faults of the 'Cup Model' were nothing to do with the basic design of the Austin Seven. It was a splendid idea to enhance the performance of the car by fitting a feather-weight body, but it was unfortunate that the weight distribution and the stiffness of the structure were impaired thereby. Eventually, all 'Cups' that were driven hard broke their chassis frames, and it was scarcely surprising that my brother's was among them. It shows that Austins were well aware where the fault lay, for they produced a special replacement chassis for this model, of stronger section and with extra bracing members amidships."

The preceding paragraphs describe 3 accidents Richard had in the cup resulting in needing 5 new wheels and including 1 roll.

I suspect that the comment re stronger section refers to the difference between the '28 version and the earlier chassis. The straps on your chassis I suspect are the extra bracing members referred to above.

Regards

Rob

Would it be a bad idea to angle grind them off as I had planned to do this weekend then?

If I had known that one was hanging off I would have suggested Goodfellow and I rivet it back on when it was down here!

I think that awful bracket behind the radius arms ball joint deserves a bit of angle grinder.

R

PS John Bolster had a new chummy when he turned 17 in '27. I think Richard was only one or two years younger so he would have owned the pink cup and changed its chassis before the end of the 20s

PPS If you want to remove something held on with rivets then you will do the least damage by shearing a head of the rivet off using a cold chisel.

Thanks Rob.

Ruairidh Dunford
Would it be a bad idea to angle grind them off as I had planned to do this weekend then?

Yes it probably would! I've seen another photo somewhere of a genuine Cup chassis with those same longitudinal strips. Has it got the special coachbuilder's plate on the chassis?

Nice birthday present! Do you know Rodney Griffin in Leicestershire? He also has a genuine Cup model and rebuilt the body which, like yours, had disintegrated somewhat.

Looking forward to seeing the resurrection!

David

I agree with Rob, that those strengthening strips are a part of its history and must be there for a reason, but that radius rod ball joint bracket is a weird one...it can't just be for additional caster angle can it?

I've just bought a TT in a cup!!!.

Hi David,

I don't know Rodney, would be a useful contact I am sure. Good to hear that they are part of something relating to GE, would be good to see photos of anything similar, I certainly have not seen anything like it before. The Coachbuilders plate is gone unfortunately, I shall reattach if one turns up however.

Ivor and David,

Don't worry, my angle grinder comment was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek The chassis and other parts (not bodywork!!) were delivered to the grit blasters this morning.

And as for you Ben, enough young man or I shall have to come and visit you!

Naughty Mr Marchant just emailed me this....

Photobucket

Given the title of this thread shouldn't it have been a Box in the cup?

Location: The Isle of Wight - the Wight place to drive old cars.

Would a spare chassis have had the plate stating the chassis belonged to austin? I suspect not.

I have no idea if this type chassis was made before they stopped making cups or if the extra straps were only added to spares, does anyone know more?

R

Ruairidh - Suggest you discuss the originality/practicality or otherwise of the straps with Tom Abernathy when he returns to your shores. His knowledge of Cups/Brooklands/Gordon England himself is amazing. Cheers, Bill

Anticipating the need to extract everything Tom knows about Cup Models I gaffa-taped him to my side as he came off the plane in Glasgow a few days ago Bill.

He is still a little jet-lagged and has fallen asleep again (well I think he's asleep, I taped him pretty tight as he kept trying to escape), when he wakes up I shall ask him these very questions.

I wish you had not given him the stupid hat with the corks on, they keep floating in top of my beer every time I take a slurp and as for that confounded boomerang, each time I think I've got rid of it...

When I acquired my 1927 chummy 13 years ago, it too was fitted with straps like your chassis, but bolted on rather than riveted. I assumed that they were to brace the cross member and so they are still there........
I noticed recently when re reading Clive Ball's "Seven Years with Samantha" that there is a picture on p199 with the car on its side in Argentina, and it too appears to have these bracing straps!
Could the addition of these straps have been a period modification to strengthen the chassis and possibly increase braking efficiency by keeping the cross shaft more rigidly mounted?

Your Cup looks quite a challenge ! Do you know anything of its history?

I hope you will post regular up dates on the restoration/rebuilding.
Regards,
Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I have never seen anything like the straps and neither has Tom Abernethy who visited to look at the all the bits today.

The straps on mine are riveted to the rear, bolted in the middle and towards the front. Pictures of yours would be good, I am in touch with Clive Ball via e-mail occasionally so shall ask him about his as well.

I understand that you are completing a Cup Model, would love to see photos if you are willing to share, I will update on here as the build progresses.

Hi Ruairidh,

I will try and take some chummy pictures tomorrow.

I will also forward pictures of my Cup which is nearing completion.
Rodney Griffin built the body , wings etc, and I have assembled it all and done the fabric and trim etc with the help of the family.
Willie McKenzie has been a very useful supplier of most of the special "Cup" fixtures and fittings, and Damian Gardner - Thorpe has helped too. I am at present constructing a hood frame...

Regards,
Ashley

"as for that confounded boomerang, each time I think I've got rid of it..."

Tony.

The weather is great up here at the moment and I have had a very productive day.

Preparation and grit blasting have really helped this go together quickly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The chassis has had quite a beating in it's life, the chassis extensions are quite crudely welded on on but will be useful in holding the back of the body up.

I have decided to leave the chassis bracing straps on but will weld captive nuts for the rear engine mounts as the straps are right in the way of these (presumably why they are bolted at the front, to allow access).

Good to see your got your project off the ground. Once complete I guess it will hit the ground running.........

I have moved all the photos of this project to another folder in Potobucket and the links to the first post now don't work, here they are for reference:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Quote Ruairidh

"...I have decided to leave the chassis bracing straps on but will weld captive nuts for the rear engine mounts as the straps are right in the way of these (presumably why they are bolted at the front, to allow access)."

Should have done that before you painted the chassis, R !!!

Ian Mc.

Very impressed with the progress on the chassis! Presumably the body will take a little longer!
Regards,
Ashley

The wood is ordered Ashley!

Very impressed with the progress on the chassis! Presumably the body will take a little longer!
Regards,
Ashley

All very well and good. But, I bet most of us are warmer and have seen more of the Ruby this weekend!

Seriuosly R, fantastic progress! I went out to the garage for about 5 mins earlier, felt how close to freezing it was in there and thought "to hell with this!".

Stuart Palmer
All very well and good. But, I bet most of us are warmer and have seen more of the Ruby this weekend!

Do you keep your Ruby in the lounge then, Stuart??

Ian Mc.

Now theres an idea! Remove bay window, yes that would work.......

Hmm Ruby on my mind, Rugby was on the TV in the nice warm lounge however.

I thought that was what you meant to say, Stuart but I couldn't resist gently pulling your leg!

It was certainly a brutal game, which IMHO, Ireland should have won.

Ian Mc.

Hah! but they didnae!

I know Ian. In modern international rugby you can't afford to field a flyhalf who isn't upto maintaining a 80% kicking sucess rate, as Ireland found out today!!

Ian Mc.

Don't have time for sport I'm afraid.

Right, that is quite enough for one weekend I am officially knackered!

Photobucket

Now the hard part begins!

Impressed!

R,

I am impressed - and exhausted just thinking about it. Well done. Would have taken me about 6 weeks going on past performance

Tony.

Congrats R on a great effort. Incidentally, didn't mention before, but in dealing with hundreds of Seven chassis over the years I've never seen the strap treatment as yours. Didn't say anything previously a I thought it MAY be a Cup treatment peculiar only to them, and as Cups are fairly well non-existent in this part of the World, wise to lip the seals. Now that Tom has confirmed, handy to know Thanks. Cheers, Bill

Not to scale or accurate construction wise, lots of angles are completely wrong, purely done for the fun of it and to help me get my head around what I have to make "big" from sketches, photos and the bits I have...

photo DSC_0212_zps9f90dd8a.jpg

photo DSC_0213_zps3953cde7.jpg

photo DSC_0214_zpsd17c3fc8.jpg

photo DSC_0215_zpsdf64cc4f.jpg

photo DSC_0211_zps91a96c2d.jpg

Go to bed Mr, D jnr. Your obvious energy is making me feel positively inferior!!

Ian Mc.

R, if you put the chassis in the washing machine on a boil wash the body might then fit!

Looks great!

I intend to do the same for the GH rep, but I lack your energy, drive or enthusiasm. How you find the time with three young children I do not know!!

Ian, don't feel inferior, just normal. lol

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed doing it!

Looks great R, but you really must get out more.

Was there something good I missed on the TV last night Ian?

This looks amazing!Very promising for the full sized version in the near future!
Regards,
Ashley

1 2 3 4