Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Cup in a box...

Thanks for that Simon, much appreciated.

If I go down that route I will let you know how I get on.

Ruairidh,

I can make you a resin copy if this is acceptable.

I've just used up the last of my rubber and resin though, so you may need to wait a while until I have another casting job in. Or you can wait until I release my next Bantam model and I'll cast them in white metal, minimum order of 50!

Peter.

Thank you Peter.

These arrived today from Willie McKenzie, utterly delighted with them!

photo DSC_0464_zps8f97b9d9.jpg

They look very tidy, R. Well done.

Ian Mc.

They're great aren't they? I've got lots of Willie's special "Cup" bits on my car - they look great.
How is the body progressing?
Regards,
Ashley

My body is a Temple Ashley, thank you for asking!

Ruairidh Dunford
My body is a Temple Ashley, thank you for asking!

Uncanny!

Ruairidh,

Not on topic, but it looks as though you are now running second with views on this topic - although still a way to go to reach the number for your stripping exercise on the Cabby

Tony.

This arrived in the post today, oh yeah baby!

photo IMG_6367_zps93416570.jpg

Thanks to Tony B for finding it and Nick T for getting it nickled, lovely day today!

This looks great - getting very hard to find in good condition these days. Well done!
Regards, Ashley

Far to shiny!!

Tell me about it Stuart, much to Nick's disgust, I have plans to change that!

20 odd years of trialling has sorted out the shell on my Cup a treat, I could offer the same service for yours if you don't need it soon?!

I'm on my way!

R,

Back in February last year you discussed the straps on your GE Cup Chassis-

"I have never seen anything like the straps and neither has Tom Abernethy who visited to look at the all the bits today.
The straps on mine are riveted to the rear, bolted in the middle and towards the front. Pictures of yours would be good, I am in touch with Clive Ball via e-mail occasionally so shall ask him about his as well.
I understand that you are completing a Cup Model, would love to see photos if you are willing to share, I will update on here as the build progresses."

In Beatrice's book Competition History, on page 14 she notes the 1924 GE Cup Chassis was-

'Standard but modified with extra bracing strips riveted inside the top hat section in a position between the engine bolts under the cross member then similarly riveted again just in front of the rear springs. These strips were riveted twice at each end and once on the cross member. Springs were cord bound and taped. Hartford type friction dampers were used'

She goes on to describe the engine/gears/body.

Tony.

Yes, this matches what Rob Beck suggested as well, thank you.

I've only just caught up with this correspondence, being rather new to Austins. My 1929 Gordon England Stadium has the same bracing straps under the cross member, riveted at the back and bolted at the front to allow access to the rear engine mounting bolts. I think Nic Wiggins's 1928 Cup also has them. Haven't measured the rake of the steering box, that's a step too far! But do Cup models have the rather primitive twisted strap bracket for the front number plate, mounted centrally on the shock absorber anchorage? I thought this was an abomination as the number plate would never stay straight but was surprised that there were no holes under the radiator shell to fit the standard brackets. Later I discovered that Richard Harris's Stadium had had the same special twisted strap GE brackets (now removed), but by that time I'd drilled the rad shell to accept the pair of standard brackets, which look better, dare I say, and are shown on the 1930 (?) Stadium outside the GE Works on the Austin Harris website. It would appear from all this that GE ordered his chassis from Austins with undrilled radiators.

The mystery of a "1929" Cup Model (Cup Models had "officially" ceased production by 1929) is solved, not a GE Cup but a GE Saloon!

photo IMG_0252_zps12480b20.jpg

Ruairidh Dunford
The mystery of a "1929" Cup Model (Cup Models had "officially" ceased production by 1929) is solved, not a GE Cup but a GE Saloon

Was the 'Cup' model ever built on the coil ignition chassis and when was the last known built?

Everything that I have been told indicates not Henry, however I have a photo of a Cup Model (which appears to have been taken when it was new) with r47 headlamps and the later Stadium-style windscreen - this was a car exported to South America and some have suggested these were export features??

Were Cup Models produced after the introduction of the coil engine in 1928 ? I don't know the answer to that but would have "thought" that surplus bodies would have existed at the factory and these may have been made up for people, if ordered. Nor do I have definitive proof of when the last Cup was made, the existing Register is not a reliable source to reference from as I have no way of knowing if the cars listed originally left as Cup Models. Do you have access to GE records? Austin mentioned some time back that his brother has contact with a distant relative (grandson perhaps?) of GE...

I am puzzled to know how Austin knew what body would have been fitted to the Chassis they were selling on to GE? Were all chassis destined for Coachbuilders detailed in the ledgers this way or were they just noted as "Chassis"??

It wasn't a distant relative but a friend of a relative who was some distance away!

I'm friends with him on Facebook and am trying to arrange to meet him when he is back in the country.

Sounds great (and very, very distant!), look forward to hearing the outcome of the meeting.

Although the Stadium was announced at the Oct.1928 Motor Show, I have never seen any reference to a Stadium made earlier than 1929 or 1930, so surely there would have been an overlap at the Gordon England Works between the late Cups and early Stadiums, using old or new parts as requested by the individual customer? Or using up surplus parts up on the export models? The photo of a Stadium on the London-Edinburgh Trial in May 1929 (Austin Harris website) shows the car, presumably almost new at the time, with those tiny Cup Model wing-mounted cast aluminium sidelamps and small headlamps attached to the radiator. Gordon England (grandson) used to be custodian of a famous family Frazer Nash, sold by him last year. I could probably get his contact details if this is a problem, though I doubt that factory records would have survived. Somebody out there should write a biography.

Progress (at last!), is being made, not by me however - all the lovely work of the talented Mr Naulls at Inver Models (http://www.invermodels.co.uk), the man who made a Cup Model pedal car for his daughter.

To say I am delighted is an understatement!

photo Cup10-2_zpsenkg8lhv.jpg

photo Cup5_zpszsyq4yco.jpg

photo Cup1_zpsldblhpbj.jpg

photo Cup9_zps1w2o8icl.jpg

photo Cup8_zpsykhuabjf.jpg

photo Cup7_zpsrv5dgn7n.jpg

Very nice work, I can see why you are so pleased

Beautiful work! It's good to see it coming together.

Did you decide whether to use Rexine or Vinyl leathercloth in the end?

Peter

This looks fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished result............!
Regards,
Ashley

Peter - not decided, big decision....

I have had samples of Rexine (book cloth) from several Uk suppliers, most are a very good match (virtually identical) appearance wise to the material Austin used on door cards, seat backs, wheel arch covers etc. However as the backing cloth is very thin I am not entirely sure that the modern material would be strong enough to use for seat tops or exteriors such as a Cup body, although stronger I am also not convinced that a vinyl looks quite right either. I imagine that this is the dilemma Ruairidh is currently facing, I will be very interested to see what option is chosen, what the finished result looks and performs like, or even if there are further alternatives available.

You have hit the nail on the head Ian.

When I had my 1929 saloon retrimmed I got samples of the modern Rexine.
The trimmers I used in King's Lynn were not happy with it and felt it would tear along stitching lines as the backing of the samples I had was thin.

This is one of the dilemmas that I am facing Jim - the Rexine looks correct but there is some doubt as to durability and if it is sufficiently waterproof.

The Vinyl is very durable and waterproof but has a dull finish and is thicker so sits differently.

Ruairidh have you considered laminating a knitted calico or scrim backing to the Rexine for extra strength. There are firms in the UK who do this. The process can improve waterproofing as well. I have never asked for a small custom order but it's worth asking. I am suggesting knitted or scrim as it's important to keep as much stretchability as you can. Google 'fabric laminators UK'

Many years back I was given a 58 Plymouth convertible and I wanted to do it as if it was a present from Elvis. Well I had it painted nail polish pearl pink, and did the interior in glittering Silver Lame like Liberace's jacket, etc.etc
The point is Lame is extremely thin and loose, so I laminated it on to calico with spray contact glue before sewing it up and it was very successful.
cheers Russell

Sounds like your problem's solved R.

And you will have the exclusivity of owning the only silver-lame Cup model in Bearsden....

It'll catch on, where would the fun be then!

No - I must think away from the mainstream and something out of the ordinary....

p.s. I will discuss this further with you Squeak, many thanks.

More progress!

Not sure if I can bear the thought of covering up this work of art!

photo Cup20-2_zpsfscokswy.jpg

photo Cup19_zpsx5nukrjb.jpg

photo Cup18_zps5jujnj8b.jpg

Out of interest, what wood is being used? Presumably marine ply over ash - but the ply looks very light so possibly birch ply?

Peter

Ruairidh Dunford
More progress!

Not sure if I can bear the thought of covering up this work of art!

A couple of coats of creosote Ruairidh and job done!

More progress...

photo Cup23_zpsdkpb1jgz.jpg

photo Cup22_zpswhos9fuu.jpg

photo Cup21_zpscvclwmmn.jpg

Exciting

Those door gaps looks like Rexine thickness to me! Beautiful job!

Is there a metal skin or just a fabric cladding? What thickness, 0.8, 0.5 Ali?
I assume that lightness is critical...

i noticed there is a cup body on ebay at the moment.

compare the two.

it really brings out the quality build of R`s new cup body.

tony

those door and frames are rather beautiful. Perhaps you could do a Smart Blade-type model, with NOTHING overlying.

Just put a big cagoule over it when it rains.

Peter Johnson
Out of interest, what wood is being used? Presumably marine ply over ash - but the ply looks very light so possibly birch ply?

Peter

It is birch ply Peter.

Duncan Grimmond
Is there a metal skin or just a fabric cladding? What thickness, 0.8, 0.5 Ali?
I assume that lightness is critical...

It will be skinned in birch ply then covered in, my yet to be chosen, leathercloth :)

Given that GE Brooklands were skinned in aluminium
, were any Cups delivered with that covering rather than fabric?
If so what sort of sheet thickness did Brooklands use?

Bill G
Scottish Borders

1 2 3 4