Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What have you been up to today?

Stripped the manifolds and carb and have removed the bent valve. One for the box of gloom.
Checked the blower and everything seems OK.

Charles

A bit late for you but I use an Austin 10 valve spring compressor on (Ulster) manifolds, it can reach most of the valves without the need to remove it.

Been out for a tootle round the area in the RP. I will experiment with the tyre pressures, but have noticed that at 30psi the car does tend to wander a bit more than normal. However that might just be me. It would be interesting to see what Longstones recommend. I know the book says 22psi but that was on 1933 rubber. Tyre technology has advanced quite a bit since then, and I presume the Longstones are of radial construction?

It's a lovely sunny day today so when I got back home I took a picture of the RP and my ageing MGF (complete with cat prints on the bonnet) which rolled out of Longbridge 64 years after the RP.

Just look at that sky! That's one of the main reasons why I moved south.

I wonder what's for tea?

Ruairidh Dunford
A bit late for you but I use an Austin 10 valve spring compressor on (Ulster) manifolds, it can reach most of the valves without the need to remove it.

Sadly on a blown car you have to remove all manifolds!

And thanks but I have a hugely useful and very adjustable version.
No idea where it originated but it's a great idea

Charles

Charles

You'll be able to fit and remove the cam without even taking the head off with that. Let alone removing the valves

Charles P

That's a nuisance, I would have thought the inlet (and perhaps the S/C) would have sufficed, ah well.

Ruairidh Dunford
Charles P

That's a nuisance, I would have thought the inlet (and perhaps the S/C) would have sufficed, ah well.

Top inlet, carb & it's short manifold, exhaust. You can leave the blower and lower inlet in place

Here are the photos from Ian Moorcraft's original A7CA Mag. article:

photo valve1_zps661997ee.jpg

photo valve3_zps82e230d4.jpg

photo valve2_zps4ffe0bfd.jpg

Reckless Rat
Tyre technology has advanced quite a bit since then, and I presume the Longstones are of radial construction?

Crossply I believe, Reckers.

Ian Mc.

I wasn't sure. It was just a guess.
I've sent an e-mail to Longstones for their advice re pressures. Will update if and when I get a reply.

Started moving racks of "stuff " to the address (garage ) we will be moving to next year , I didn't realise I had so much "stuff" and A7 spares only about another 5 trailer loads and shelves to go.

Charles P

And thanks but I have a hugely useful and very adjustable version.
No idea where it originated but it's a great idea

Charles

Have exactly the same thing Charles. Bought over 40 years ago to take valves out Minis. Bought from Halfords in Wakefield. Still does exactly what it was designed to do and never failed on many engines both ancient and modern.

Steve

Today's fun, trying to get a new wash pump for our dishwasher, which of course failed on Christmas day morning!

I was under the impression that Longstones used a standard 30 psi so that the customer could let them down to his/her preferred pressure.
I run mine at 22psi all round but put 2psi extra in the rears if carrying luggage etc.

Moving, well watching two fit younger men move my accumulated spares into a storage unit to accompany my Austin. I have been worrying that it would all fit into a space 13'6" x 6'1" but it's all gone in and I have room for a paper hanging table (not mine - my wife's) and a couple of workmates. I can even get to the Austin to get it out of the unit without moving a load of stuff.

PS I didn't know I had so many radius arms or cylinder heads.

Charles P

Not valves my ar5e!

Lifted the head.
Whilst the oil was going past the rings there was also a 4BA screw, somewhat squashed and battered sitting on top of the inlet valve.
Topping the bore up with Redex has loosened the rings and the flow has slowed. I need to check that the valve isn't bent (looks ok).
Then I'll put it back together with a '37 head and see what happens.

C

Valve replaced, head replaced, carb settings sorted. Runs very nicely now.
Decent 100psi compressions across all cylinders

Charles

Well done Charles,you're a credit to the AUSTIN fraternity.

Peter Clayton
Well done Charles,you're a credit to the AUSTIN fraternity.

Thanks Peter but the people who really deserve our credit are the suppliers who furnished me with the necessary parts to get the car repaired and back together, posted first class, over the holiday period - in some cases without waiting for payment before despatch.

Praise to Tony Betts, David Cochrane et al.

Charles

Today I'm back in the workshop but yesterday I was out with three pals from Edinburgh,Coupar Angus and Stockton. We were doing a run from Hawes via Langstrothdale to Kettlewell and then up Park Rash and along Coverdale back to Leyburn.

I went here!

Well, 7 days ago (on the 1st). Just developed the negs today.

Did the VSCC driving tests there one year,It was great fun.(Much better than Westcott,conditions worse than a trial)Only problem was a couple of cars fell over on the negative camber and too much speed (7's of course)

Driving up the test hill was brilliant,If only we could go back to the 20's and see how it all ran.

Brooklands museum is worth a visit too,even have a Concord.

... and this year's event is on Sunday 1st February.

putting ends on new steering chains.

Semi Girling brake return springs.......GRRRR

Making the house look a bit better*

*not all family members may agree.

Regarding Andrew's poster above, in the next few months the Association will be publishing an expanded version of this in the form of a booklet for identifying all factory models. It will be distributed to all Clubs... and excellent it is too.

Chris Garner VC - A7CA

Stuart Palmer
Semi Girling brake return springs.......GRRRR

I made a tool from a cheap screwdriver to hook into the eye on the spring to fit those.

Simon

These work pretty well: http://www.ccw-tools.com/product.asp?P_ID=22133&gclid=CKn967DylsMCFc3LtAodqwYAhg and you can get them for around £3 if you really hunt.

I've used a trampoline spring tool when doing mine, (mainly because that's what I had to hand!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trampoline-Spring-Tool-Spring-Puller-Hand-Tool-6ft-8ft-10ft-12ft-14ft-16ft-/131243093817?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item1e8eb2af39

string and a screwdriver.

Today I have been burnishing the link motion off the steam tractor (on the dining room table).

I weighed my car.
The 1929 handbook gives the weight as 8-1/2 cwt, but doesn't distinguish between chummy and saloon.
I've often wondered how much my RK fabric saloon weighs, and having recently bought some Tesco bathroom scales which go up to 25stone I decided to give it a go.
I measured each wheel in turn with a spacer under the opposite wheel to keep the axle level.
Results were:
Front wheels: 19stone 1 lb each
Rear wheels: 22stone 2 lb each
This gives a total of 82stone 6lb, ie 10-1/4cwt or 520kg.

Car weighed with fuel and all the junk I normally carry.
This also assumes that Tesco scales are accurate!

Today I sealed the deal on a lovely Nippy by doing a bank transfer. So now I'm one of you lot ! Looking forward very much to collecting the car from Scotland in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to the mileage to get it though, as it's about 1,214 miles each way with my van ! We may stay at a friends house in Edinburgh, so are there any of you lot near Edinburgh ? Nick. very, very south west France.

Hi Jim

My Doctor always looks skyward when I give my weight in stone! And temp in F.
Years ago when I was away my wife and then young son attempted to mow the lawns. I instructed them over the phone to ask for a gallon of 2 stroke mix. Led to great confusion as the Indian immigrants running the local service station had no idea what a gallon was!!
Later Sevens are quite heavy compared with some of the ultra lightweight cars of the 1980s. One door of my RP seems equivalent all the doors, bonnet and boot lid together!

Cars have become heavy again due the electric windows, powersteer, air con, reinforcement, air bags etc etc

The greatest single improvement to the hill climb ability of my Seven was to leave the toolbox at home! At least full tanks are not a great burden!

Bob Culver

I was amused a few years ago at the TV report of a freak storm at Newmarket, the home of horse-racing. A trainer was interviewed about the event and he reported that the roof had been taken off his stable and been blown "A few furlongs".
Also a few years ago I was working on computer vision systems for the railways. Cameras on a special carriage were analysing the passing scenery looking for encroaching trees, bulging tunnel walls and slipping banks. So that we could locate trouble spots we had a feed from the carriage axle which gave our position in that fabled unit "The Quarter Chain" ie 4-1/2 yards, otherwise know as a rod, pole or perch.
However I do find metric units difficult!

Jim,

The 1944 registration paper for my 1929 Australian bodied fabric saloon lists the weight as 9 cwt (probably too light if a Chummy weighed 8 1/2 cwt).
When it was re-registered in 1972 with a weighbridge check, the certificate listed 11 cwt, which seems high - I would have thought it should be nearer 10 cwt as your check showed.

Tony.

Jim Holyoake
I was amused a few years ago at the TV report of a freak storm at Newmarket, the home of horse-racing. A trainer was interviewed about the event and he reported that the roof had been taken off his stable and been blown "A few furlongs".
Also a few years ago I was working on computer vision systems for the railways. Cameras on a special carriage were analysing the passing scenery looking for encroaching trees, bulging tunnel walls and slipping banks. So that we could locate trouble spots we had a feed from the carriage axle which gave our position in that fabled unit "The Quarter Chain" ie 4-1/2 yards, otherwise know as a rod, pole or perch.
However I do find metric units difficult!

Sorry to be contradictory, Jim but, a chain was(is) 22yards (10 to a furlong) so, a quarter chain would be 51/2 yards. As was a Rod, Pole, or Perch.

Ian Mc.

You're right Ian, I hit the wrong key!

I delivered my Austin Seven sized trailer to it's new owner today.

I have been using it less and less and he wants it for his trials car. The nice man says I can borrow it, if I ever need it in future and I have first refusal if he wants to sell it - by which time I might have space to store it again.

Having made a cord template I finished assembling my new wiring loom on the living room floor (with the assistance of the family cat who thought it a great game) and took it in to be overbraided.

Reassembled one RN saloon petrol tank, accidentally dismantled when the body shop who were supposed to be repainting it burn down. Drilled a 7/32" hole in 10 cat biscuits to hide a pill, much easier than trying to get the pills down the cats throat.

Not quite today but over the last couple weeks,
Rebuilt rear seat frame and sewed up new covers for it
[/url]

Hedd,
Nothing to beat the look of burnished steel.
How do you do yours, and what tools do you use please?

Bryan,
Excellent work!
Details of how you did it would be appreciated please.

Geoff - Nearly a month on and still coughing myself silly

Today I have been mainly unloading about two ton of agricultural "Dung walling" (2 x 8 t&g for my car pavillion. Now completely knackered.

Thanks to a delivery of parts from Willie McKenzie, I've been altering a petrol pipe on my 1931 RN so that it will fit a Zenith 22 FZB instead of the tractor type carb that the car came with.
I've just done a leak test and it seems to be OK.
Tomorrow we'll see if the engine runs with the 'new' carb

Geoff Halstead
Hedd,
Nothing to beat the look of burnished steel.
How do you do yours, and what tools do you use please?

Geoff

It was done properly 20odd years ago. Flap wheel in the end of the drill, then fine emery and paraffin.

This time I was just taking the stain from the rape oil in the lub oil I use, and on the basis I did the burnishing on the dining room table I used olive oil.

The stevenson link is glass hard, the pits etc are quite deep, and are from when it was case hardened in 1915, they will not polish out!.

Got to do the brightwork on my roller soon!

Thank you for the responses about brake spring tools. Sorry I have only just seen them.

I made a similar tool out of a metal tent peg, unfortunately its not stiff enough and I have only narrowly avoided injury when it has slipped off, sending me flying across the garage!

I managed to get the springs on, then went to fit the drums, only to find that the linings were considerably over size, by the look of it due to poor riveting. Anyway, the **** things are going to have to come off again. I have another set of relined shoes, so I will fit those instead.

Thanks Hedd.
I read many many moons ago, if memory serves, that during forging of steam engine motion, the hot parts where given a coat of oil that was said to be absorbed, helping to create that lovely satin finish and stop rusting.
No idea if correct, but I intend to try it out to see, on a machined part.
I did draw file the motion on my first 5" guage locomotive and that was acceptable, but not in the same league.
Must experiment with burnishing using a suitably hard tool.

Geoff - Still coughing myself stupid, so Doc put me on antibiotics

Down here in the land where it's nice and sunny, yet cold in the winter (Despite IDS' fiddled temperature calculations) I was considering going down to my garage and pottering about with the RP. I have to get it ready for our winter rally which is a week on Sunday, although all that's needed is a wipe down with a damp chamois and a general level and tightness check. However, it's been blowing a gale for a few days and on the thermometer I got from Barnsley market the daytime temperature was somewhere between "Bracing" and "Parky". It is forecast to drop below "Brass monkeys" overnight although by mid-day tomorrow it's expected to rise to "Middling"

I have also been to the post office & sent back to the UK (for the second time) a ram pipe for my H1 SU carburettor. I wanted a short one, but the supplier sent me (twice) an item that was too long to enable the bonnet to be closed. I need one that's no taller than about 34mm - Anyone able to help me out?

Location: St Florent sur Auzonnet, 30960, Languedoc-Roussillon

The weather was quite nice yesterday so I took the Swallow out for a run. I nearly didn't, though because for the first time in years, she wouldn't start. The engine turned over o.k. but there was no sign of it wanting to fire up.

I found that although there was enough in the battery to turn the engine over, it was well down.

A quick boost with the charger and she fired up good as gold. Its's the first time I can remember having enough charge to turn the starter but not enough to generate a spark.

I enjoyed the run out; just there and back to see how far it was. I will have to keep an eye on the battery from time to time and put the charger on trickle.

Today, however, winter has returned so 'Trundles' is snuggled down under her cover in the garage, waiting for another nice day.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7