Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What have you been up to today?

Nice looking car Louis

Tried to get my fuel tank sender unit to work for the fuel gauge. Eventually got it off the tank and found the previous owners fuel gauge floating in the tank, one branch and one stick. With lots of bits in the bottom of the tank. The sender unit was stuck but should free up.

Does anyone know where to get replacement screws for the sender unit to fix back to the tank or the size of the screws.

Douglas
Tried to get my fuel tank sender unit to work for the fuel gauge. Eventually got it off the tank and found the previous owners fuel gauge floating in the tank, one branch and one stick. With lots of bits in the bottom of the tank. The sender unit was stuck but should free up.

Does anyone know where to get replacement screws for the sender unit to fix back to the tank or the size of the screws.
See HERE Douglas

Ian Mc.

Ian thanks for that, I spotted it after I posted my post, ordered some Meccano screws ;-)

More running-in today, while simultaneously learning to drive a vintage car. Getting the hang of things and feeling really confident now; here's a picture my father snapped of me tonight.

Took Alice to work.

Discovered that after removing and replacing steering column at weekend, had got the "Gas" and "Ignition" rods mixed up!.

S

Living down here in deepest south west France, there aren't many Austin Seven owners about, let alone fellow Nippy owners. But I am lucky enough to have Baz Ferris only about twenty miles away near Aspet. He has owned his two Nippys since the '60's. He has a 1934 and a '36. Both have Sports engines and one has a pressure fed ex Grasshopper engine, which he was lucky enough to pick up when you could find these things.
He took my Nippy out for a spin and liked it very much. He's going to help me change the torque tube mount, diff ratios and gearbox in the near future. He's very knowlegable about all things Nippy and a handy bloke to have nearby.

Dave and I had fun mocking up headlamp and mudguard brackets.

photo Special 26.04.15_zpsplv4jwf1.jpg

It's starting to look like a car again!

Nick,
Sorry to hijack this thread temporarily, but I am interested to know more about your friend Bazz Ferris' Nippy with the Grasshopper engine fitted. The Pre-War Austin Seven Club recently published our (Hornby and Hanna) book on the history of the Grasshopper cars. One of our motivations for the book was to unearth and consolidate as much information as we could, while we could, on the Grasshopper. Would it be possible to have a chat with Bazz to see if he is willing to share information about the engine such as, engine number, source, background, perhaps even a picture? (I was going to email you through the forum but I have difficulty using Outlook.)

Hate to admit it but I cracked the rear screen glass on the RP a few weeks ago trying to remove a stubborn sticker with a hot air stripper.... (I know, I know don't rub it in) anyway I camouflaged the crack by applying a bigger sticker. (The crack was only about an inch long)

Yesterday I was pushing the car forwards in the garage and accidentally put some pressure on the rear screen with my shoulder. I am now looking in the French equivalent of yellow pages for a glass merchant to cut me a new piece as the small crack has gone right the way from top to bottom, right in the middle of the panel.

"*****!"

This afternoon's job is removal of the rear screen followed by a portion of humble pie and custard.

Reckless, things come in threes so take care not to cut your fingers. With regards to the replacement window,I would get the glass "toughened" this will take a little longer as most glaziers have to send the glass for heat treatment. However the window will be stronger and safer too. Surely you mean humble pie and creme anglaise!

I've been out to see a glass supplier in Alès today. It's a small family run business and the wife says her hubby will have no problem replicating the glass which I've left with them to make sure it gets cut to the right size. She's quoted me 6,20€ which quite frankly is peanuts, and it'll be ready tomorrow.
I accept that what's come out isn't toughened or laminated and if it hadn't been for my hamfistedness it would still be there. It hasn't been disturbed since I acquired the car even though looking at its rough edges it appears to be a substitute, so it's at least 35 yrs old, so I'm happy to replace it like for like. The car isn't covered by modern homologation regs applicable in France. They came in in 1958

Tonight I started forming the bonnet for the special around a lamp post outside the house. You do get some odd looks but know one was brave enough to ask me what I was up to!
Sometimes the old techniques work very nicely.

I had my first drive of a Seven! A 1928/9 ish former Chummy that has been owned for 60 years, and now used round the farm. Mine is going to seem modern by comparison, with synchromesh and hydraulic brakes.

photo P1020577.jpg
Spent many happy hours getting a counterbalanced crank into a mag crankcase.
There's about .020 clearance to the end,now to trial fit the balance weights on,then the rods.
More grinding to come I think.

Will the big end on number 1 rod clear the lump on the inside of the crankcase?

Charles

It had an 1 1/2" ulster crank and sports rods in it,But you could see where they had touched the side,(the other side.)
Will find out when fitting the phoenix rods.
It was much easier to feed the ulster crank in!

Austin in the Shed
It had an 1 1/2" ulster crank and sports rods in it,But you could see where they had touched the side,(the other side.)
Will find out when fitting the phoenix rods.
It was much easier to feed the ulster crank in!

On mine I have Unbrako button socket head screws fitted inside and its blooming close with a Phoenix crank and rods.
I had to do some "easing" to get clearance!

Charles

I went to fetch this

Hedd Jones
I went to fetch this

I remember seeing that very body frame in the late 1980's . It must be well over 25 years old!

The vendor estimated it at nearer 30. Was on a stall at Beaulieu when he bought it for £750 back then.

Do you know the name of the builder?. Terry ????, apparently also into building replica SS (jags) etc.

Came with most of the ply covering and some bonnet tops too.

Hedd Jones

Do you know the name of the builder?. Terry ????, apparently also into building replica SS (jags) etc.

http://www.suffolksportscars.com/suffolk-ss100/jaguar-history/suffolk

Not unfamiliar in the A7 world!

Steve

Hedd Jones
The vendor estimated it at nearer 30. Was on a stall at Beaulieu when he bought it for £750 back then.

Came with most of the ply covering and some bonnet tops too.

I'm seeing Terry next week if you have any questions.

Charles

Charles

you have an e-mail

Many thanks

Been sprucing up the RP ready for a jolly jaunt out into the Ardèche tomorrow with one of the local old car clubs "Les vieux boulons Lablachèrois" (The old nuts from Lablachère)

Have a run of about 75km to get there (it's between Montélimar and Aubenas) After booking in and breakfast (coffee and croissants) we leave at 10am to visit the Iriserie (Iris gardens) at Larnas for a snack (usually pork products and red wine) then a short run to St Remèze in the Ardèche valley for apéritifs and lunch (Pastis and more wine).

After a lazy meal we'll drive down to Vallon Pont d'Arc in the Gorges of the Ardèche to visit a winery (tasting obligatory of course), prize giving and home. Beats sitting in a field at Chatsworth house all day!

Entry fee (including drinks & scoff) 24€

This particular run is restricted to Pre-War cars only so there should be some interesting stuff. If it runs true to form the RP will be the most sprightly and agile of the lot. I'll take some pics and post them later.

I'm taking the wife so if any of you want to run a sweep to guess how long it will take her to get bored and start moaning, please feel free. I guess it won't be long because it's forecast hot & sunny tomorrow (30°C)

I won't be drinking of course....

Reckless Rat
After a lazy meal we'll drive down to Vallon Pont d'Arc in the Gorges of the Ardèche

This all sounds just about bearable Reckers.

Here we are at the same spot in 1999:

photo DSC_0287_zpsujmnp5pk.jpg

photo DSC_0289_zps0dbyg3ih.jpg

Have a great day and please do share photos of the day (especially the food part!).

That looks distinctly like a Lindsay tartan car rug in the back of your Pearl, Ruairidh.

The pont d'Arc is roughly 20 miles from here so we won't have that much of a run to get back home. The parking on the road round the gorges from Vallon down to St Martin d'Ardèche has recently been upgraded and there are a number of places where it's been prevented, for safety reasons. The access to the little beach at the side of the river by the Arch has also been upgraded - previously you had to scramble down the rocks to get there (or use a canoe)- now it's more pedestrian friendly although parking is still limited. This time of the year is best for viewing because in the summer it's just manic.

Reckless Rat
That looks distinctly like a Lindsay tartan car rug in the back of your Pearl, Ruairidh.

You're right, it looks just like that tablecloth you had stuck to your shoulder a few years back :)

It was VERY busy the day we were there - too busy for me, still very pretty. Have a great day.

Been to the liberation day celebrations today 70th anniversary in St Peter Port,Lots to see and do half a dozen sevens in the car parade 70 military vehicles from the Uk and Europe,Tractors from Germany.Theamed floats,marching soldiers sailors Lifeboats from the UK Retro singers,dancers,Markets Battle of britain memorial flight,helicopters etc etc.
Wonderful day!

We've been to Cromford in Derbyshire for the start of a Pre-War Austin Seven Club (PWA7C)run but did not go on the run itself due to only putting the rear brakes back together on Friday; you need reasonable brakes in Derbyshire.
A couple of people pointed out that my front brakes have had the brake levers put on wrongly i.e. the left one put on the right etc. They work well but that's another little job for later in the week.
A number of members were missing as they are in the Netherlands for the Molentocht (Windmill Run).

Nice run out, great weather. The Iris farm was stunning. There was a lot of traffic on the Gorges of the Ardèche as it's a holiday weekend, and I got a visual telling off of a Gendarme on the way home for speeding...(I was doing about 55kph in a 50 limit) Took loads of photos and have uploaded them all to an album on my photobucket page. Link here:

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/bjl2634/library/Les%20vieux%20boulons%20Lablacherois%202015?sort=3&postlogin=true&page=1

Très belle

Reckless, Lovely! Weather in Ardèche MUCH better than Aberfeldy last weekend. Looks a great, relaxed French outing with good food included.

I should have been working on the Austin but recovering from watching too much of the election results and a late night yesterday. So, Ruairidh, Therapeutic tinkering with your banjo. Seems to work quite well now. Stays in tune too!

Thank you Jim - looking forward to a tune very soon

Some interesting cars. Apparently the Peugeot 402 Special Sport is quite a rare beast, as is the Salmson. The Big Citroen Limo, the green and black one which I think is a B14 - (perhaps Renaud can enlighten us)was immaculate and somewhere in the bunch is my litte RP which was tiny compared to some of the others. One car, the Chevrolet (looked like a Model A Ford) had 4 pedals (no idea why) and I noticed that the Fords had the accelerator in the middle - perhaps that's a left-over from the Model T?

We did about 125 miles in total. Weather was lovely, 28°C.Off to Spain in the morning, but not in the Austin.

Some great photos Bruce. Thank you for sharing.

Ian Mc.

Hi,

That fourth pedal on the Chevy is the starter. Great pictures, by the way!

Cheers!

Accelerator in the middle was quite common until the later '30s. Morris used it till very late.
The Model T Ford only had a hand throttle, no accelerator pedal.
It had 3 pedals. Two were gear selectors, one for reverse the other for the 2 forward gears. The 3rd pedal was the footbrake. Neutral was selected by putting the handbrake 1/2 way on.

Reckless,
Nice weather and photos.
Does France have as many speed cameras as over here?
Do the motorcycle 'flic' still ride BMWs?
Was stopped by one, in 1970, and asked for my ID, and he being somewhat nonplussed on receipt of my SA passport, and very surprised when I answered his questions in French, free of any SA accent.

Car,
Waiting for a response to my post requesting advise about placing my CarTrolly/AxleStands at the rear of the Ruby.
Jacking up isn't the problem, it's just where to put the CT/AS when one wants to remove the rear axle and springs.
Cannot make a start on rejuvenation until this is solved, and I just don't know the answer.
Someone must have done so in the past, surely.

Geoff - Dentist and root canal work this PM and not a little

Geoff, not done this very often but I left the wheels in place, unfastened all the relevant nuts & bolts etc. I then positioned the jack over the drain plug to lift the axle and placed axle stands on the rearmost portion of the side chassis members. The axle and wheels can then be rolled out.

Thanks Brian.
I will place the CT under the axle for the time being, just so that I can get the car back into position.
Lots of suggestions in my dedicated thread to mull over.

Geoff - Radio worth listening to now election over

Geoff Halstead
Reckless,
Nice weather and photos.
Does France have as many speed cameras as over here?
Do the motorcycle 'flic' still ride BMWs?

There a LOT of speed cameras in France and they are very effective, like them or hate them they have had a remarkabvle effect on driver behaviour and road casualties. Currently there has to be a warning sign in advance of the fixed camera, which can often be quite difficult to spot even though they have a black&yellow border. In addition the authorities have started to introduce variable speed limits (similar to UK motorways) as well as average speed camera systems. This is in addition to a higher profile of speed enforcement and road checks carried out by the "forces of order" particularly during holiday periods. Be aware also that throughout France are unmarked cars with built in radar/camera systems that patrol major roads - if you overtake one over the limit the first thing you know is when the PV (fixed penalty notice) drops in your letter box. For the time being at least there is still no international supply of owner details between France and the UK but if you get caught by a silent check on the motorway you may well get pulled at the péage and taken to a cash point if you can't pay the on the spot fine.

Both the Gendarmerie and Police Nationale motor cycle wings use BMW bikes (as well as Yamaha and Honda). The Gendarmerie bikes are white with red stripes, the Police ones are dark blue. The "patrouilleurs" are usually armed with laser speed detection nicknamed "jumelles" (twins) because they look like binoculars.

Neither the Gendarmerie nor the Police Nationale bikers have a sense of humour and the CRS (Compagnie Republicaine de Sécurité) have also had mass charisma by-passes - upset them at your peril.

Hi RR

Wasting afternoon tea time.
Building on your topic, UK folk may be interested in the situation here.
Speed cameras were introduced long ago but originally few and obvious and only the worst few percent were ticketed. Now common, hidden, including in semi concealed parked vans in open country. Lasers widely used in moving police cars, both marked and plain, and hand held from the berm. Our common speed limits are 50 kph and 100 kph. A 10 kph margin was allowed but this now reduced to 4 kph in holidays and a mystery the rest of the time so most now drive for the 4 kph. Keen drivers loathe but the effect on driving behaviour from say 15 -25 years ago and beyond, and on the road toll, has been incredible. I drive the suburbs in a relative modern with the general flow at speed the same or less as in my Seven 50 years ago! On the open road at 100-110 kph vehicles frequently appeared from behind in seconds and vanished ahead ditto. I have not experienced this for some years. Driving has become much more restful. So much so that inattention is a major problem. Going back to the 1970s our main roads, then much like the lesser of the single carriageway UK A roads, were very dangerous with vehicle speeds ranging from 45 mph or less to overtakers at 75 mph at the merest opportunity. Now it is difficult to overtake a heavy truck outfit (allowed 90+4 kph) or sedate driver and relatively orderly processions form. With overtaking so difficult (within the limit) drivers give up trying and so close following and bunching occurs less.
In the vintage movement cars like Model A Fords (real ones, not the puny 2 litre UK model!) are popular as many have been slightly modified and maintain 90 kph which is no longer unduly slow.
We just had weekend of numerous fatal crashes. There is talk of reducing the limit for lesser rural roads. The way things are trending will be able to keep up with the flow in a Seven! (On the flat.)
(In the 1960s, when cars rolled markedly, and prior power steering and radials, I found the RP could do this on winding roads if the surface was not too wavy)

Bob Culver

I heard of someone from over here holidaying (Driving Through)in NZ,they came back to 2 speeding tickets in the post!
Mind you its probably the same anywhere now,It was the same in OZ 8 years ago,its easy money with tight tolerances.
They are out here at 6 am to catch those rushing to work but at least they are catching the ones doing 45 in a 25 zone.
There are regular sprint,hill climb,sand racing and autocross (On the beach) meetings here,I think to vent the drivers frustration as the max speed limit is 35 mph.
Plenty fast enough on some of the roads!

Location Sunny Guernsey

Off to Mintern Magna,a small collection of classic cars at the plant fair. Will be passing through Cerne Abbas as the wife for some reason seems to admire the scenery that way !!!!

Working on the garage where my newly purchased and first Austin 7, A 1930 RL will live, while looking forward to the collection day (26th May)!

After 5 days of on and off application, I have freed an engine that hasn't for (allegedly) 40 years.

Will it run?

It will take another week to clean the ancilliaries....

Watch this space!

Simon

To Richard Gosden; Always nice to welcome a fellow A7er to this site, you'll find lots of help here (if you need any, that is)

The original coil engine from the 1929 fabric saloon (Holden built body) had been sitting on a garage floor for 40 years ( a rebuilt magneto motor had been fitted by the first owner in around 1974)

The second owner had left this original motor filled it with oil, oiling the bores and clutch area.

In January this coil motor was stripped, cleaned, bores honed, new exhaust valves fitted and reassembled with original light shaft, bearings (big end and main) and new clutch springs. A 1935 distributor was fitted to replace the damaged 1929 unit.
After cleaning the bronze updraught Zenith carburettor jets the engine started and has been running nicely ever since (200 miles) (shouldn't have said that )
The original engine has run for 65,000 miles and the complete car only covered 80,000 miles in 86 years.

I believe we should always strip and check over a non running motor before trying to start!

Tony.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7