CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Re: new rink announcement? and more??

SP
Doesn't matter, it's been passed now. Looks like the ISV is going to finally kick off

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-bay-international-sports-village-3310153

The building looks rather sleek and clean, with nice edges. I like the bubble windows, they remind me of the Water Cube in Beijing.

Do the BBC know something we don't?

This render of the new snow dome and ice rink at the sports village has something glaringly obvious missing... See if you can spot it!

Watermark Apartments?

RandomComment
Watermark Apartments?

Bang on!
Section 9.8 of the Description of Proposed Development speaks of

"£100,228 towards the improvement of open space in the vicinity"

I can only assume this means demolition of the Watermark apartment block and grassing over to create a new public realm at the end of that currently pointless roundabout.

No doubt this public realm will be bought by Admiral in 2023 to allow construction of their latest 1960s Soviet-era inspired office block following their latest expansion.

£100k seems very cheap to do that work!

How long has this been in the making? A decade, or more? I think I was in primary school back when the ideas were still fresh.

Maybe the Red House pub is gonna make a come back!!

Construction of the first 100 units starts late next month after a legal agreement was recently signed with the council.

This was in reference to the resi development. Are greenbank really starting that next month?

paul - cardiffwalesmap
Maybe the Red House pub is gonna make a come back!!

Oh good - I'll have the booze in my apartment.

And they forgot Prospect Place and the new "affordable housing"

Incidentally - has anyone seen any pictures of the old Red House?

Jantra
Construction of the first 100 units starts late next month after a legal agreement was recently signed with the council.

This was in reference to the resi development. Are greenbank really starting that next month?

I think they already have been delivering supplies. I'll try to get a picture

I noticed a cloud of dust in the vicinity of Cardiff Pointe when going to Morrisons earlier. I've noticed from a long time ago the absence of Watermark from all renders as well. I think the ice rink has an interesting shape, will be interesting to see what the cladding is like (hopefully quite shiny adn ice like!).

SP
this is the tweet "Final phase will be a 32 storey tower, Wales' tallest building, which have an art gallery/cinema, luxury hotel, 60 flats and roof top garden"

from what Christopher says it seemed that work was soon to start on Bayscape but this would not be for a few more years yet. Was Bayscape originally going to hold this sort of amenities?

In theory bayscape will be 30 stories (119m) and hotel by the ice rinks will be 32 stories (122m). So if both are built, and bayscape gets a headstart it has a chance of holding Wales' tallest building title, albeit briefly.

I think bayscape was going to have a sky bar and restaurant on higher floors and possibly a cocktail bar on top floor (though the cocktail bar may have just been an idea rather than in the plans).

We can only hope.

Couldn't this have a negative effect on Bayscape though? The articles say that the new 32 storey tower is to have a sky bar and a viewing deck. Would Cardiff even be able to support two purpose built 5* hotels?

I'm not sure the 32 story tower is necessarily a 5* hotel, just says "luxury" hotel.
I am yet to see a proposed development in the ISV that hasn't used the words "Luxury", "Stunning", "Amazing"

Bayscape has the deal with Wyndham Hotels, so that will certainly be 5* if built.

And yes there are the similarities in both being towers and having sky bars, but i guess if your building up high it makes sense to make use of the view.

We also tend to use the words "Millienium", "International", "Quarter", and "St. David" way too much.

SP
Couldn't this have a negative effect on Bayscape though? The articles say that the new 32 storey tower is to have a sky bar and a viewing deck. Would Cardiff even be able to support two purpose built 5* hotels?

I'm assuming you mean two more rather than two ? We already have two in the Hilton and St.David's

Not associated with the rink - but it is in the vicinity and I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask the question......

Anyone know what is planned for the site adjacent to ALDI off Ferry Road opposite Frankie & Bennys? The site has been derelict and is now fenced off and some activity there.

I think cloverleaf restaurants (http://www.cloverleafrestaurants.co.uk/) are going to put a restaurant there based on the planning application.

Looks a bit twee and fake. And all their pub-restaurants are "XXXXX farm". I mean surely you can't name a pub on this site "Something Farm". I know there was a Grange Farm further inland in Grangetown, but nowadays... it would just seem totally out of place in "the Bay".

LocalResident
I think cloverleaf restaurants (http://www.cloverleafrestaurants.co.uk/) are going to put a restaurant there based on the planning application.

Thanks for the quick response!

RandomComment
Looks a bit twee and fake. And all their pub-restaurants are "XXXXX farm". I mean surely you can't name a pub on this site "Something Farm". I know there was a Grange Farm further inland in Grangetown, but nowadays... it would just seem totally out of place in "the Bay".

The millennium international farm quarter is a winner

Jantra

How about the Millennium International Leisure Farm or MILF for short?

Ash
Jantra

I wonder what missus Jantra will say when I tell her I'm going over the MILF

Jantra
Ash
Jantra

I wonder what missus Jantra will say when I tell her I'm going over the MILF

Depends what you are planning to eat I should imagine?

Tell her you just want to have a hot meal.

There's some equipment and portacabins between the ice rink and yacht club

it's been there for at least a week

There's now hoardings surrounding a large area and some tarmac roads laid out. Looks like the residential is kicking off. Construction in Cardiff appears to be all guns blazing (at least the bigger developments).

From where I am it's difficult to see all of the site. However you can see the new road laid between the Yacht club and a central area where there is a form of storage.

I'll try to see if I can get better pics but this will have to do for a time

BBC update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-22623555

The next phase of the Cardiff Bay's International Sports Village will be unveiled later.

Developers will cut the turf for a £16m twin ice rink centre on the site which will also include a new snowdome, a hotel, public plaza, apartments and restaurants.

The 3,000 ice arena was given planning permission by Cardiff council earlier this month.

Construction of the centre is expected to start in August.

Great news.

I saw they had set up a marquee (on the bit of land between the new road and the water on Baywatcher's picture) which i presumed was to try and get some investment through early sales of residential properties.

Though I did think a red carpet was a bit much for a temporary sales office.

Good news, although it is not obvious that anything is being 'unveiled'. Apart from the dates I don't see anything here we didnt already know.

They had a tented village built at the White Water rafting site last year. Perhaps this one is the same?

http://www.visitcardiff.com/latest-news/2012/2/1/world-s-best-canoeists-tackle-cardiff-white-water-course-a1696

I understand there was a ground breaking ceremony with the Council an hour or so ago and a picture of 3 gentlemen plus a digger showing this on their Facebook page.

Also mentioned in the press -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiffs-new-olympic-standard-ice-4002385

£16m for all that? Sounds a bit cheap. Wasn't the pool on it's own £26m?

Oh well I hope it's good quality and at least it finally seems we are getting somewhere with this site.

LocalResident

I see roadworks are about to commence in the Ferry Road area near this site. Anyone know if this is connected? I believe the works are on for about 3 months.

Frank
£16m for all that? Sounds a bit cheap. Wasn't the pool on it's own £26m?

Oh well I hope it's good quality and at least it finally seems we are getting somewhere with this site.

Frank i think the £16 million is just for the 2 ice pads, 3k seats and anything else within the rink.
Ice sheffield is a similar project built in 2003 with 1500 seats and a cost of £15 million. While cardiff will have 1500 more seats it will also have a smaller second ice pad, so i think £16 million for that would be about right.

It's my understanding that sequence homes are launching the residential site for sale on 5th July

Gail
It's my understanding that sequence homes are launching the residential site for sale on 5th July

I really want to know what you mean by this? Is this a new development? Is the land up for sale or are the houses/apartments up for sale?

Jantra
Gail

I really want to know what you mean by this? Is this a new development? Is the land up for sale or are the houses/apartments up for sale?

The houses / apartments will be up for sale in the residential part of the sports village, I'm presuming it will only be the first phase released in July

Thank you muchly

I've stumbled across some web pages for the first phase homes on google, but can't seem to find them when I go into the Cardiff pointe website

http://www.cardiffpointe.co.uk/housetype.php?property_id=22

http://www.cardiffpointe.co.uk/housetype.php?property_id=20

I found there were a few renders by changing the ID number at the end of the address

I love the detective work that goes into this forum.

I've found renders from ID 18 to ID 25. Although I don't understand why you can't link to these from the main page.

because they are incompetent?

bit like the builders of Watermark actually!

The residential site "Cardiff Pointe" is bring launched tomorrow and the sales office will be open from Friday

Draw those millions out of the bank and buy buy buy!!

Looks like December or January before the ice rink starts: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/cardiff-devils-frustrated-ice-rink-5764385

1 2 3 4 5
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM