CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
new rink announcement? and more??

On radio wales news they are saying that paul ragan will be, within 24hrs announcing details of a new dual pad arena that will be completed in 2013. OK lets see what happens - heh call me an optimist but I wonder if tomorrow is going to be a day of positive sports village news in 'other areas' also? Oh well lets wait and see, (we're good at that!!) but dual pad sounds encouraging, just hoping that the arena has at least a 4000 capacity. Oh to see the back of that bloody tent!!

Re: new rink announcement? and more??

Hopefully we will also get to see some renders!

What sort of attendances can the Devils get?

The current Devils arena holds a shade over 2,000, and anecdotally, and from what I've read, I think their average would be around 1,800.

In a decent arena and with good marketing I think they could average 2,500 quite comfortably..it won't be long before they overtake the Blues!!

For me personally, I'd be happy with a 3,000 capacity arena, as opposed to 4,000. A more important factor for me is that the arena can be converted from ice hockey to other sports and concerts and things. I think an attempt at a professional basketball league in the UK isn't far away, and it would be good to host events like that comfortably.

Dual pad arena with 3k capacity. Renders will be in the echo tomorrow :)

Shamelessly nicked off a link on The-Inferno forum and posted in the snow down/ice rink thread too:

Looks like ambition has returned to the sports village!! - should be interesting to see what they are actually going to get cracking on - probably just the ice rink but heh maybe its the whole lot

oh and now I know what they are planning for the old visitor centre tube!!!

blimey commuter87 what timing! great minds eh!!

paul - cardiffwalesmap
blimey commuter87 what timing! great minds eh!!

Indeed!

I really do hope this is the kick-start needed to make the ISV realise its true potential! Look forward to seeing more of the renders in the Eggo tomorrow!

Looks good, I like the look of the ski slope. All depends on the quality of materials. hopefully there will be good provision for public space and access through the site for pedestrians on the bay walk. The area needs some density and height so hopefully the hotel wont be too stumpy

I though that the structure with trees on was a ski jump for a moment.

OMFG !

Had to buy the Echo today and from what I can make out the following is happening in terms of a summary from the Echo :

Phase 1 (Completion 2013/2014)
- 3,000 seat ice hockey arena with full-size twin pads
- 150-metre ski slope with a 50-meter nursery slope

Phase 2 (Completion 2017)
- A 'snow play area' for leisure activities
- 'High End' retail space and waterfront shopping
- Public recreational space including parkland
- Residential properties adjacent to the main site (on the sight of what would have bneen Bay Pointe I think)

I can't scan and post these images in work...can anyone else do that ?

It looks like the ice arena and ski slope are one building and that's what we will rightfully get first. Even though there's no mention of the hotel in the summary above there's a fair size building on the front of the paper facing the barrage (which is in the image above).

There's obviously lots of questions that I'm sure will be answered over time. I'm curious about the retail space as it appears to be funding alot of this scheme, likewise the residential space and the hotel.

The main thing, for now I suppose is that there's going to be a half decent ice arena and ski facility...what do those on here that follow the Devils and are into winter sports in general think of this ?

From walesonline

I ski so this will be great - having seen the dry slope in Fairwater this will be a great addition to Cardiff and I would imagine the ski lodge in the bay will be elated. The slope of 150m is very small for skiing as it will probably take about 10 seconds to get down for people who ski regularly but its better than nothing and will be great fun and I am sure people who ski will enjoy it and those who don't it will be a brilliant introduction to the sport as there is not substitute for skiing on real snow..I can't wait for it. Apres ski in the bay!!!

its ok. that is all. residential appears to be a bit of a let down from what we could have had. I am not totally sure it will be all finished by 2017. Planning will take forever when the objections start to pour in regarding the residential element. It would be good to think that some people would just accept we need to build housing and that this means extra people - people who behave in pretty much the same way as everyone else so yes that will involve cars.

anyway, its ok, not what it could have been but given the parlous state of finances its better than nothing.

The whole Penarth Marina / Sports Village area could become a bit more integrated as a result and perhaps start to feel like a single area on both sides of the river rather than two separate places.

Considering the "Sports Village" has a big-box out-of-town retail park feel about it, these plans are probably at the upper end of what we could've expected in terms of quality - notwithstanding Bay Pointe.

It should add a bit more vibrancy if they can get family housing down there and make those mooted retail units more viable. Hopefully with this & Bayscape the whole thing can become a bit more intergrated as Jantra says.

This should also secure the future of the Devils too, and provide a possible extra venue for any possible Cardiff Commonwealth Games bid in the 2020's.

Let's just be clear. What is certain to be built?

The ice arena I take it. The ski slope?

And who is paying for this? Warren Buffet?

Its quite difficult to make any comment based on the images above. They look very 'indicative' not unlike the outline renders we have see for the proposed CBD. I'd be surprised if the finished product was exactly the same.

If you look at the bare bones of the proposed Stage 1 it has to be taken as an improvement on what was planned previously. Dual pad with a 3k capacity and a ski run to boot is a lot better than a white box with one rink and a lesser capacity.

One thing that sends warning bells is the part of the Echo report where it states that the project will fund itself by incorporating retail space. Hmmm. Is there not a huge shitstorm currently smashing the retail sector to bits? How much retail will be needed to fund a project of this size? Will it be viable in the ISV? Or are we looking at 'big box' retailers effectively creating a southern section to Cardiff Bay Retail Park?

I sense there may be some twists and turns yet and until I see diggers and cranes I'll file this in the cabinet marked 'Glass Needle, Bay Pointe, Bayscape etc'.

Karl
are we looking at 'big box' retailers effectively creating a southern section to Cardiff Bay Retail Park?

this would be quite pathetic if that what it comes to. It does look like prospect place mark 2 and I can't imagine too much retail there, although we may end up with some retail space long the front, it would not be enough to cater for the whole scheme surely.

Karl

I sense there may be some twists and turns yet and until I see diggers and cranes I'll file this in the cabinet marked 'Glass Needle, Bay Pointe, Bayscape etc'.

totally...with this in the pipeline and bayscape, it could be quite a venue in 5 years....but lets face it, most Cardiff developments look great in the Echo....

We see this as a good news story and supports us on anticipated timings etc. I do agree that I cannot see retail space cross subsidising much....with a fair wind you could get it to wash its face if you take the rates officers into the channel for swimming lessons. All in all the delivery of additional sports facilities is to be welcomed. Note too the new wave rider at white water centre.

Christopher
We see this as a good news story and supports us on anticipated timings etc. I do agree that I cannot see retail space cross subsidising much....with a fair wind you could get it to wash its face if you take the rates officers into the channel for swimming lessons. All in all the delivery of additional sports facilities is to be welcomed. Note too the new wave rider at white water centre.

I was wondering what you thought about the development. It has to be of benefit to your project because there's more facilities close to the hotel, and yes there's the new wave rider to add to the canoe slalom as well as the pool and the new ice rink and ski centre.

Do you know what grade of hotel they are planning for their site, it's on a prime site facing the bay so ideal for something half decent...so hopefully at least a 4 star.

Just an update. The BBC article says that work on this is going to start "immediately".

Kyle
Do you know what grade of hotel they are planning for their site, it's on a prime site facing the bay so ideal for something half decent...so hopefully at least a 4 star.

I would expect it to be lower than that. If Bayscape really is going to be just a few minutes walk away I don't think you'd need two higher end hotels serving an icerink and a swimming pool. More likely something that will attrack lower income users. I think the size of the boats parked outside the hotel in the echo picture is a little ambitous! And I can't really imagine 'high-end retail' locating there as suggested in the echo pic (not in this thread currently). More likely a big ol JJB Sports and a gym chain. Not that that would be a bad thing.

The Echo article says "Design work will begin immediately". Hard to know what that means (detailed internal designs or are they starting from scratch? design for what?).

I'm sure the scale of the residential work will respond to the economic climate in a few years time.

So yeah, obviously this is good news but I think beyond the ice rink and maybe the ski centre they remain very early stage plans which may or may not represent what will one day happen.

As an aside, if you look at google maps for the ISV someone's been getting quite ahead of themselves. Bayscape and Planet Ice are already listed as if they exist! Planet Ice is not even in the planning anymore...

Me
As an aside, if you look at google maps for the ISV someone's been getting quite ahead of themselves. Bayscape and Planet Ice are already listed as if they exist! Planet Ice is not even in the planning anymore...

....and Bayscape.....?

I have to ask a stupid question; would this be a dry ski slope then? Or is it some sort of artificial snow? As someone who has never been skiing indoors or out, I really have no clue!!

JL
....and Bayscape.....?

Bayscape is still being planned. Whether we will ever see it or not remains to be seen. So one day it might be on the map, more than Planet Ice.

love the devlopement but hugely disappointed with the ski slope, new they could not do anything that good down there, I'd just ceate a small slope forboards and tricks and things, for skiers its not.
I've a long term plan to redo the snow slope in merthyr, but bigger and better, now that would be a real ski attraction.
In the main, you gotta be chuffed

Owen
Just an update. The BBC article says that work on this is going to start "immediately".

I don't get this..what about planning!?

Could be design work or ground prep

Lister
I have to ask a stupid question; would this be a dry ski slope then? Or is it some sort of artificial snow? As someone who has never been skiing indoors or out, I really have no clue!!

Its going to be real snow.so it should be really good just a shame it can't be a longer

James
Owen

" The new ice arena is expected to be completed in time to accommodate all or most of the 2013/2014 ice hockey season. "

That's about 20 months away, so work on the arena should be starting this summer at the latest if they want to finish before the start of that season really.

Of course it would be nice to have a much longer ski slope. But i think you would be surprised just how far this is. Your not going to ski down this slope straight or at the speeds you see on tv. By the time you make some turns your going to ski 200 metre's +

As for the ice rink 4000 seats was for me a minimum as that was the standered needed to host games in europe.
But 3000 seats i guess is a step up on what we have had.

As for attendances you have to remember we import most of our players if the pound is weak then players become more expencive so to compensate clubs increase there prices which reduces attendance figure's esspecilly during a recession. Haveing a double ice pad will go along way to produceing more home grown tallent.

James
Owen

BBC have got it wrong on this one.

I think its a matter of interpretation.

I think the Council have said that preparatory work (e.g. planning, financials etc) is going to start immediately. With a hope to get a start on construction by the Autumn, I'm guessing..

Some more news here

WOW!! this looks like the most joined up and complete plan for the area to date - so just maybe it WILL happen! We should know soon, because hitting the first deadline for the ice hockey season means they'll have to get cracking like, yesterday! All in all this would appear to be great news, and from the high rise point of view - loving this bit...

Two residential towers of 18-storeys and 24-storeys to the north of the site frame the development, with four and six apartments provided on each floor respectfully. Each of the towers will uniquely cantilever out over the water, with a single column emerging from the Bay, and the opportunity to include a new water taxi station. A linear park will create a new public route which will connect the two waterfront walks.

Chuck bayscape into this mix (and I'm sure this development will only enhance its chances of 'getting off the ground'), also the completion of prospect place, and we've got ourselves well?.. oh I know an international sports village - to be proud of!!

image from article..

Yes, I must say it is looking good and will be a great addition to Cardiff as an international destination. It's really good to hear all of this development in such an economic downturn and this positive publicity can only enhance Cardiff as an international city. I can't wait to see the developement when I come over in March

"the sports village will also provide... a potential new national aquarium"

first mention of this I've heard. Think I'll keep this in the wishful thinking list for now.

I wonder if the 'Cardiff Pointe' (residential) bit will get started before phase 2 of the winter sports section, or whether that waits until after the sports stuff is complete?

Great additional news. I like the sound of an aquarium in the city, but it's down as being potential so which part of the site is it being considered for, does that indicate that some other part of the development is only a maybe as well and they are deciding between the two ?

On the residential front, it's hard not to get excited about two new towers, and I like the fact that there's some family housing involved in this as well.

First things first, I'm looking forward to seeing the first part go up and then potentially from 2014 onwards we'll see more concrete plans for the rest of it. All in all though, it's lovely to see some half decent plans for this site again (including what was Bay Pointe).

All of this really is great news, but I'm also keen to see a little bit more 'meat on the bones' in this part of the Bay. local pubs, shops, a school, some good landscaping, something approaching decent urban design and layout.

James
All of this really is great news, but I'm also keen to see a little bit more 'meat on the bones' in this part of the Bay. local pubs, shops, a school, some good landscaping, something approaching decent urban design and layout.

You'll probably get most of your 'wish list' except I can't personally see a school being built. Most of the remainder seems to be included in the Scheme.

Not wanting to detract too much from this development but does anyone know if there's anything planned for the "scrubland" between Toys R Us and the road to Penarth.

If/when Bayscape is built it won't give the best impression of the area having such a big development opposite empty ground.

I guess it could be infilled with more low-rise housing or seeing as it's a sports village perhaps a new park/adventure playground/sports pitches.

These images have probably already been seen by everyone but this site has them all together (and better quality!).

http://studionesh.carbonmade.com/projects/4158078#1

Excellent pictures. Thanks for the link.

Owen
does anyone know if there's anything planned for the "scrubland" between Toys R Us and the road to Penarth.

Thats for future development. Not sure it's even on the agenda right now. Maybe optimists are thinking this could be the site for the aquarium. I'm pretty sure the aquarium wouldn't be placed anywhere within the space designated for these plans as someone above wondered. I think the line that says there could be an aquarium also says there will be two hotels. I'm guessing one of these is in the winter sports development but the other is bayscape itself, so this wish list extends to future visions for the whole ISV, not just the work on this particular development.

As an ultra optimist, I imagine that one day in a couple of decades time the Toys R Us and Morrisons may also be replaced with other developments, probably homes. They were important to get the money for the ISV and start things happening there, but I hope that the longer term vision sees them being replaced (like, maybe in 15-50 years time).

Me
Owen
does anyone know if there's anything planned for the "scrubland" between Toys R Us and the road to Penarth.

Thats for future development. Not sure it's even on the agenda right now. Maybe optimists are thinking this could be the site for the aquarium. I'm pretty sure the aquarium wouldn't be placed anywhere within the space designated for these plans as someone above wondered. I think the line that says there could be an aquarium also says there will be two hotels. I'm guessing one of these is in the winter sports development but the other is bayscape itself, so this wish list extends to future visions for the whole ISV, not just the work on this particular development.

As an ultra optimist, I imagine that one day in a couple of decades time the Toys R Us and Morrisons may also be replaced with other developments, probably homes. They were important to get the money for the ISV and start things happening there, but I hope that the longer term vision sees them being replaced (like, maybe in 15-50 years time).

I think Morrisons should stay - its got quite an up market food veg section just what is needed for the 21st Century yuppie!!!

Yes, a national aquarium would be a fantastic addition, they could look at the aquariums in Baltimore or Barcelona for inspiration

Over the years there have been a number of developers interested in bringing this type of attraction to the bay, so hopefully this will come to fruition

One concern I have about the plans is that they dont show the bay walkway on the lakes edge as is present around Prospect Place and up some of the river side. I hope the plans don't cut pedestrians and cyclists off from the bay edge. Making the route around the entire bay accessable could be a real selling point for visits to tourists and locals alike. But if they are funnelled down residential streets away from the views (as tends to happen across the ely) then the experience is really diminished.

1 2 3 4 5
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM