CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author
Comment
Prospect Place - the return of!

story here

Not only is this story encouraging for the completion of this development but does it's re-emergence suggest that activity throughout the sports village is now expected?

Re: Prospect Place - the return of!

Really positive news, fingers crossed they do actually start early next year.

whilst it is positive, I'm pretty sure the tower was first mooted at 19 storeys and not 17. not only that, the residents in the left hand side of the block on the right of the render are not going to be too happy: lost views and almost always in the shade

I have heard that they are returning later this year and that Tower size is to be reduced.

It's certainly time this eyesore is completed!

(By the way, it's Ferry Court now. Prospect Place was just a Builder's name)

A planning app has gone in - same height tower, which will be very slightly chunkier at the top to allow for around 10 larger 2 bedroom as opposed to 1 bedroom apartments.

Re: Ferry Court - the return of!

Let's wait and see...it aint built yet! It might be a 'Planning App' but it's not written in stone. A lot changed during the building of that site. Things can(and very often do) change.

That is promising - it's been a skeletal dump for too long.

Consider this: It has been at 5 storey stage for 4 years. The concrete exposed is interior grade concrete(untreated). It is near the sea/river. Work it out.

Tor
Consider this: It has been at 5 storey stage for 4 years. The concrete exposed is interior grade concrete(untreated). It is near the sea/river. Work it out.

I was thinking that, and buildings usually only have a design life of 50 years I wonder what sort of cover they achieved to the rebar... Chloride attack is along term durability issue and I suppose 4 years isn't a long time really, coupled with the fact that I can't see how any of the structure would have cracked all that much really under no loading and only at a 1/4 of its height, maybe its not an issue.

I was thinking that, and buildings usually only have a design life of 50 years

Really?

I must close the doors very carefully in my 120 year old house in case it falls down!

I can't believe the concrete shell will have been badly damaged over the past 4 years. I walked past it a few days ago and it looks in good nick, no signs of frost spalling or surface degradation.
Re-enforced concrete is designed to crack! But the winding loading would have been a fraction of it normal load by virtue of its "bright and airy feel"

Zach

Really?

I must close the doors very carefully in my 120 year old house in case it falls down!

I can't believe the concrete shell will have been badly damaged over the past 4 years. I walked past it a few days ago and it looks in good nick, no signs of frost spalling or surface degradation.
Re-enforced concrete is designed to crack! But the winding loading would have been a fraction of it normal load by virtue of its "bright and airy feel"

new techniques in internal climate control...bringing the outside in

Zach

Really?

The design life of major structures such as bridges is 120 years. There's a big difference between design life and the actual working life though. And I doubt your 120 year old house had a design life!

I know concrete is designed to crack, and that's the point. In internal environments your allowable crack widths are greater, and some times there is no limit as long as appearance wise its ok and it doesn't fall apart at ultimate limit state. The point I was trying to make is that the structure is not under full loading so I don't think there will be many routes for chlorides to get to the reinforcement

Planning round up:

"Block T, Prospect Place, Ferry Road, Grangetown

Bellway Homes Wales and West were granted full planning permission to make alternations to Block T of the Prospect Place development. The alterations would increase the size of 10 flats from one bedroom to two bedrooms, provide 20 new car parking spaces and 36 new cycle parking spaces."

http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2012/10/11/planning-round-up-october-2012/

Walked past Ferry Court (used to be known as Prospect Place) this morning. Several 'hard-hatted' men on site. Looks like its starting!

Whatif
Walked past Ferry Court (used to be known as Prospect Place) this morning. Several 'hard-hatted' men on site. Looks like its starting!

Heh 'Whatif' Thanks for sharing your observations and that sounds very encouraging!! that concrete shell has been an ugly blott for far to long. Also to me it really suggests that we'll see a fair bit of activity in that sports village neck of the woods in the next coupla months. I guess they want that Prospect Place building to be finished well in time to capitalise on a new wave of interest in the area. - ever the *optimist, thats me (*new glass needle at wood st to be announced v soon?!! )

I'm guessing the next stage of sports facilities is about to begin (ie ice rink), which is kick starting all other development around it.

I've been lurking on these pages for longer than I care to remember and never said anything before!

I see that at this moment a lorry is delivering reinforcing rods to the Prospect Place tower.

Would it be interesting to the group if I set up a web cam in due course?

Baywatcher
I've been lurking on these pages for longer than I care to remember and never said anything before!

I see that at this moment a lorry is delivering reinforcing rods to the Prospect Place tower.

Hi Baywatcher - and welcome!! thanks for the info re prospect place, in answer to your question regarding the webcam. I think it's safe to say the answer is a very definite YES PLEASE!! go for it!! Oh and now you've made your first post - I hope it's the first of many!!

Baywatcher

My latest information is that the men working on site are laying a concrete base for the crane which will be used for the tower construction. That's no doubt what the 'reinforcing rods' are for.

Work on the actual tower construction was supposed to commence at the end of February but this has been delayed for a couple of weeks. When it does eventually begin, the Promenade will be closed off for the duration.

How long do we reckon this will take? 1 year? I guess if they are continuing on from where they left off then the ground work is already done.

Their original 'plan' was to start selling apartments towards the end of this year. I don't know if this is still the case.

Thank you Paul.

Just to remind everyone what the building looks like here's a picture of it today.

Thanks for posting the progress picture...all these are very much appreciated for those of us that don't live in the area at the moment.

All of a sudden the Ferry Road peninsula is waking up again with development activity.

Baywatcher - Hello and Welcome! I for one would love a webcam set up nearby, and would totally appreciate it. I hope you'll continue to be a regular poster and thank you for the picture!

Baywatcher
Thank you Paul.

Just to remind everyone what the building looks like here's a picture of it today.

Nice one Baywatcher - Now judging from that photo I'm thinking it was taken from the 7th or 8th floor of water quarter? Looks like you are in a great location to keep an eye on one heck of a transformation of this exciting (hopefully) peninsular!! Rest assured the kind of people that view this forum have a hunger for update info - and things do seem to be on the move, at last!!

It looks as if I shall be busy - with the Ice rink and the flats outside Morrisons as well as the huge development of houses outside the yacht club plus of course the Bayscape tower.

Does anyone know which section that concrete framework is supposed to be?

The 'concrete framework' is the part-finished Tower Block which they are returning to imminently. They stopped building it due to the recession in late 2008. It's been as in Baywatcher's picture ever since.

If you meant the 'concrete framework' to the left of the picture, that will be joined up to the two remaining Blocks once work recommences on them.

I meant the half-finished one that'll become the tower block. Thank you for informing me.

BTW - Does anyone have an estimate for the year/time that it will all be completed? If it doesn't get suspended again, I mean.

TheLordcrow
- Does anyone have an estimate for the year/time that it will all be completed? If it doesn't get suspended again, I mean.

If you look further up this thread (just above Baywatchers pic) I've already posted that it is supposed to be completed this year.

Thank you.

This year? That's... ambitious, to say the least.

I have a feeling the flat bit just above the men in high visibility coats will be a garden similar to the others in the development. They are mainly lawned and are mowed at regular intervals.

Baywatcher
I have a feeling the flat bit just above the men in high visibility coats will be a garden similar to the others in the development. They are mainly lawned and are mowed at regular intervals.

That will be a 'podium'. It will be reached (on the side of the photograph where the men are)by steps not yet in place. As can be seen in the picture, the concrete on this 'podium' has been 'tar sealed'(there is car parking below) so it could well be turfed but may be just paved.

From the Planning details:

“The open space on the podium shall be open, readily accessible from the Bayside footpath and available for use, during daylight hours or from 0800hrs to 1800hrs daily, whichever is the longer, unless otherwise agreed by the local planning authority in writing. Reason: To ensure adequate pedestrian access and to allow public use of the open space”.

TheLordcrow
Thank you.

This year? That's... ambitious, to say the least.

According to the information available during planning application, the timetable is thus:

• Re-start on site – late Jan/ early Feb 2013
• Shell complete to commence internals – Sept 2013
• Commencement of Bayside walkway – Autumn 2013 and completion end of 2013.

Going off previous 'internals' they don't take very long!

Aren't gardens a no-no around the Bay?

Frank
Aren't gardens a no-no around the Bay?

Well, if they are, no one has mentioned it to Bellway! Have a look next time you walk past Ferry Court.(aka Prospect Place)

I'm glad that it has been restarted. Though I am doubtful that it will be finished by the end of 2013. The year is still young, though.

TheLordcrow
I'm glad that it has been restarted. Though I am doubtful that it will be finished by the end of 2013. The year is still young, though.

don't be so sure, have you seen the contractors!!

젠장!

I saw that on a BBC documentary earlier this year.

I know that buildings these days can go up due to being flat-packed, but I didn't think this one would. Are they the same contractors?

With concrete and rebar they can do a floor a week no problem maybe 2 floors.

I would have thought most time seems to be spent on the foundations and, of course they are already done. JCB is building an earthen ramp at the moment.

I think they're just moving soil to the top end of the site to give access lower down. There was a long pile of soil there which has been there for a few years now. They will need access to that part of the site for storage, etc. They might also need it to level the area where the crane site is going?

Happy to provide updates from another angle.

Note that only the tower is due to commence, no word on the other block visible here

Who knows....if T Block goes well, they might just start on the last two!?

CASH

Happy to provide updates from another angle.

Note that only the tower is due to commence, no word on the other block visible here

Hi Cash - Please do! it looks like the completed tower won't spoil a view for you, and as it has been since mothballed is a depressing sight, you must be pleased they are going to finish the job. Hopefully then, as mentioned, if properties start going well in the tower then they may actually complete the whole development. Cheers for the photo anyway , looks like we 're not gonna miss to much with this one!! OK so who have we got living over by Bayscape so we've got that angle covered!!?

Anyone looking in from Victoria Wharf? or the other side of the river - this forum needs you!! I can feel a poster coming on....

The crane is being delivered!

Real action at last.

Cheers Baywatcher - any chance of a pic!!? cheeky I know, but really looking forward to seeing that building underway or re-underway

I would have done a picture but they started to take the crane off a lorry with a small crane but then it stopped in mid air, they all started to look at it - suck their teeth - hum and ha - put it back on and drive the whole caboodle away.

As soon as it is back I'll get the camera out!

Well, that's the way you get a building done, isn't it?

Funny story - Today I was on Witchurch Road for the day because of work, across the street from me were four guys, three holding shovels and one in a digger. The guy in the digger spent all day digging up earth whilst the dudes with the shovels just stood there trying to look like they were doing work.

TheLordcrow
Well, that's the way you get a building done, isn't it?

Funny story - Today I was on Witchurch Road for the day because of work, across the street from me were four guys, three holding shovels and one in a digger. The guy in the digger spent all day digging up earth whilst the dudes with the shovels just stood there trying to look like they were doing work.

Sounds like they were doing more work than you then

Baywatcher
I would have done a picture but they started to take the crane off a lorry with a small crane but then it stopped in mid air, they all started to look at it - suck their teeth - hum and ha - put it back on and drive the whole caboodle away.

As soon as it is back I'll get the camera out!

The crane(?) - or part of it (?) - is lying on its side in the road along the side of the last built block. You probably can't see it from your view.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM