CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author
Comment
Re: Prospect Place - the return of!

Baywatcher
Now the main building work is completed and it's time for a well-deserved lunch. The travelling winch has been tested and the hook is being fitted.

It looks as if the huge mobile crane has done its work and is now folding itself up.

I see the sign for Bellway is illuminated.

How great would it be would be to get a photo of Cardiff from the top of the crane

Blimey Johnsy, don't throw out challenges like that!!

ps. right then - who's up for it?

Or diving in to the bay a la Mexico stylee

Bellway could ask me to do the photography! I would so love to get to the top of a crane and I wouldnt ask for anything for travel expenses.

I would love to get up there and shoot a panoramic of the City.

The crane stands ready for duty. The calm before the work! Soon the site will be bustling and at last the eyesore will be no more.

That was quick!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It looks like a miniature version of The Shard!

Work began first thing this morning. The crane was lifting items onto the shell of the tower building. Nice to see!!

They were lifting scaffolding for the shuttering to build the next floor. The uprights are now in place.

It wouldn't be fair to expect a daily update. On the other hand.... WHATSAPPENING!!

paul cardiffwalesmap
It wouldn't be fair to expect a daily update. On the other hand.... WHATSAPPENING!!

They have lifted a lot of hollow metal beams on to the props and on top of that they are fitting a wooden floor. I guess that in due coutrse they will make a mould (right word?) to fill with concrete Presumably when this is set they will do the same floor by floor. I'll put up a picture soon.

The new floor is being prepared

WOOT! Thank you!

TheLordcrow
WOOT! Thank you!

Now you've seen how quickly they've done that, can you more easily believe their Build Schedule?

Whatif
TheLordcrow
WOOT! Thank you!

Now you've seen how quickly they've done that, can you more easily believe their Build Schedule?

It looks as if they may do one floor each week for the skeleton. They are on the seventh at the moment - eleven to go.

Today's update: Rain seems to have stopped play: the builders seem to have disappeared. But some new men have arrived to put up a few signs and flags on the Promenade section leading to the Sales Office. I'll take some photos when it's nicer!

It's great to see that work is continuing, despite the bad weather.

Baywatcher
Today's update: Rain seems to have stopped play: the builders seem to have disappeared. But some new men have arrived to put up a few signs and flags on the Promenade section leading to the Sales Office. I'll take some photos when it's nicer!

Mothballed!!! words got out that bayscape is just the residential and the blue tent is good for another decade!

paul cardiffwalesmap
Baywatcher

Mothballed!!! words got out that bayscape is just the residential and the blue tent is good for another decade!

oh no - please dont say that - my lovely weather cock will go (when the crane driver goes he leaves the crane to swing loosely so it is a huge weather cock)

There are signs up when you leave the dual carriageway for "horizon" which is what it's being marketed as. Sales office opens a week today. I hear they're having a launch with a band and a BBQ

A BBQ should be great in this weather!!?

The crane was working at one time today when I visited a colleague there. It was lifting stuff onto the tower.

Gail
There are signs up when you leave the dual carriageway for "horizon" which is what it's being marketed as. Sales office opens a week today. I hear they're having a launch with a band and a BBQ

I bet they dont ask me!

The Bellway website has some information:

http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/wales/horizon-@-prospect-place

http://www.bellway.co.uk/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/bellways-prospect-place-re-launches-in-cardiff-bay

The second link has a good render of the tower.

Superb render of the tower! It gives a great impression of how the area will look like with it done, though I doubt it'll be that pretty in real life.

Nice render, it'll be nice to have something of a reasonable height on the peninsula at last.

Keep the photos coming as well, they are much appreciated.

There doesn't seem much going on at the moment except for some reason they have boxed in the base of the crane. Perhaps it's to protect it from people who want to climb it!

That's normal practice to prevent unathorised access (including those who want to take pics from top of crane!! )

Quite a lot of metal struts have been delivered. These are the sort that they put in place to give support to the concrete pillars that will support the next floor. When I visited my colleague this morning, they were sorting them out - no doubt ready for the crane to eventually lift into the tower for construction?

They have been receiving the temporary structure stuff all the time. But now they seem to have all gone home. The crane driver is climbing down from his crane at the moment.

Ah....remember today is P.O.E.T.S. Day!!!

Baywatcher - This may seem an odd question, but is the sight noisy? I mean, is it so loud that it's a nuisance to live next to?

TheLordCrow
Baywatcher - This may seem an odd question, but is the sight noisy? I mean, is it so loud that it's a nuisance to live next to?

Not as far as I can see - but I live a bit further out and this block of flats has amazing insulation , both for heat and sound. So I have heard nothing at all.

They arent doing noisy things anyway: the real noise in a building site is when the pile driver is banging away and this finished years ago!

They didn't use pile drivers as such. They did it by boring (bored piles). Even at its busiest the site was reasonably quiet.

I wonder if they'll have a viewing deck or restaurant up top? I'm sure Cardiff would be able to get some splendid shots of the area with his camera up there.

Will it even be big enough to warrant its own viewing deck?

Access to all Blocks/premises on site is only for residents. There is no roof access except for repair/maintenance. The highest point for a 'view' would be from the top apartment. Perhaps you might be interested in buying the Lease?

Shame, though I don't think it'll be tall enough to have a viewing platform.

Buying the lease? Please, if I had that kind of money I'd live somewhere else!

You wouldn't find anywhere to park if there was a viewing platform or restaurant.

Baywatcher
You wouldn't find anywhere to park if there was a viewing platform or restaurant.

TheLordCrow

I live right across the way and can't say that the noise is enough to disturb. It is, of course, louder than it has been previously but I think the speedboat that goes past every so often is noisier!

Some pics from me...

From last week...

And today...

Oh sunshine, wherefor art thou?

What is sunshine?

Sunshine is this warm, magical thing that brightens up wherever it travels. Unfortunately, it seems to hold a grudge against the United Kingdom, hence why it never visits.

"I wonder if they'll have a viewing deck or restaurant up top? I'm sure Cardiff would be able to get some splendid shots of the area with his camera up there.

Will it even be big enough to warrant its own viewing deck?"

hopefully planning on buying one, just have to wait until the prices are made available.

In this climate they shouldn't be too expensive!? Also (re LorddCrow's question) didn't the plans show a coffee shop type of retail at the bottom?

TheLorddCrow
Oh sunshine, wherefor art thou?

"Why are you sunshine?"

Johnsy

if you want a great view of the Cardiff skyline, there is a bench on a triangle of green space near the junction of Salop street and Coronation terrace in Penarth. The views from there are uninterrupted. Paget road and Harbour View Road do have decent views too but fencing and foliage tend to interrupt them.
You wont be able to get a panorama from that bench, but some great shots of the city centre are possible.

B. Lee Dingobvious
Johnsy

if you want a great view of the Cardiff skyline, there is a bench on a triangle of green space near the junction of Salop street and Coronation terrace in Penarth. The views from there are uninterrupted. Paget road and Harbour View Road do have decent views too but fencing and foliage tend to interrupt them.
You wont be able to get a panorama from that bench, but some great shots of the city centre are possible.

agree with Harbour view road. another good spot in Penarth is the brow of the St augustines Place). It is narrow but you do get a really good view of the cityscape.

Jantra
B. Lee Dingobvious
Johnsy

agree with Harbour view road. another good spot in Penarth is the brow of the St augustines Place). It is narrow but you do get a really good view of the cityscape.

Yes I know where you mean. The best view of all are the top floor windows of the houses on Church Place South. I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time there as a child, but the last time I was there was when Helmont House had been completed. The view then was staggering but I would imagine it is more impressive now as more has been built in Cardiff.
Some fellow Plaid members were lucky enough to go up St Augustine's church tower a couple of years ago. A 360° panorama from that viewpoint would be orgasmic.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM