CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Bayscape

All,

Quick update follows:

- Bayscape planning committee to be mid-Sept
- Contract negotiations with hotel operators now underway. Final contract to be agreed within 90 days. I don't think you will be disappointed when formal announcement comes.
- Looking to build new building at Cardiff Marine Village (subject to planning). Current spaces fully let of course.
- Project underway to develop a marine village in Swansea (subject to planning)

Re: Bayscape

cheers chris sounds like things are moving along nicely in the right direction!! - you are our big hope for the ISV, looking forward to some exciting news in the not to distant!!

Thought I would add these from the planning app. Goes to committee tomorrow.

It does look good! I did think that it would look a bit isolated (ala meridian quay in Swansea) but seeing it with victoria wharf i dont think its that bad. know all we want is for it to get built!

That looks great, does anyone know how long this will take to build?

I'm glad they're catering for some food and retail units, with the bridge and the canoe centre there will be a lot more traffic in that area which should create a nice atmosphere.

I suppose the logic of the financial side must be based on the assumption that the build now starts in 2010 and takes approximately two years, the hope being that the UK is by then pulling strongly out of recession. Assuming we do not double dip. So it must depend on finding finance and as Christopher is based in Switzerland I assume his companies are not necessarily dependent on UK sources.

Assuming that planning is granted I assume that like residential planning it will not lapse for several years so any start date is quite flexible. Hope it goes ahead as the scheme looks well thought out and it more individualistic compared to a lot of builds in the Bay.

I do really love looking at this scheme, it really has been well thought out and hopefully will raise the bar in terms of what Cardiff should aim for when it is (hopefully) built.

if anything, it will also allow us to regain the title of Wales tallest from the skip rats up the road.

Committee resolved to defer decision pending a site visit. A frustrating delay.

If you support the scheme now is the time to write letters. On the dossier only one letter of support was cited.

Commercially we are in good shape. Planning wise the delay is unhelpful.

Whats the address to write to Christopher?

The delay is frustrating, but I guess it's fairly common, and I think when they get down there and realise the potential it will reinforce the sites strengths to them?

Thanks. Address is:

Norman Howlett
Principal Planning Officer
Development Control
Strategic Planning and Environment
City Hall, Cardiff, CF10 3ND

I will be writing in support. In fairness, as a prestige site I guess it's right that a formal site visit is held, and hopefully it will only hold things up a month or so.

Nonetheless, I will be writing, stressing the design benefits, the economic benefits and the importance of the scheme to Cardiff Bay and it's regeneration.

I really hope that quite a few of us on here do the same, and I hope that ymlaen group do so as well (how is that going by the way)

Forward Cardiff has run into the problem that there is very little new development to comment about: and that which is proposed is known only in very sketchy outline.

I'm not sure if its worthwhile me writing given my London address. Although I could use my dad's in Cardiff...

Christopher: I too shall also write a letter in support of the proposal.

James: Re: Forward Cardiff's former meetings in Mount Stuart Square - Disappointing attendances also indirectly contributed to its current hiatus.

It was always hoped that a few extra stragglers would be attracted each month as the fledgling organisation grew.

Alas, despite the generous provision of hospitality provided by Jantra and his team, the open doors invitation failed to attract even the occasional speculative free loader.

In practice I only remember seven faces appearing(in various combinations and permutations) over the half a dozen meetings that were held. Maybe it was the loutish behaviour of the guests or the corked wine which scared people away. I couldn't possible comment.

Christopher,

What is the planning application reference in relation to this proposal?

Hi. Application number is: 08/2191/C

All support appreciated.

The development has an article in the Echo today

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/2009/09/19/developer-chris-odling-smee-plans-127m-tower-for-cardiff-91466-24727854/

This has to be given approval. It has merits on so many levels that I hope the site visit will conclude that this is a necessary scheme which would send out positive signals about the city at exactly the right time.

Is there any news on the site visit? Has it been done or any idea when it is likely to happen?

It goes to committee at 2.30 today!

How'd it go?

We may find out in the Echo today - otherwise we'll get it in 2 weeks or so in the planning decisions documents online. Or maybe Chris will tell us?

I really really hope they don't reject it. It would be such an incredibly stupid decision in the midst of a recession. Pretty soon unemployment will jump due to the laying off of hundreds of construction workers at SD2. Although Bayscape won't start for a while, it will provide a not insignificant boost to construction in the short-medium term.

Plus, I like it...

All,

I am pleased to confirm that Bayscape was approved at yesterday's planning committee meeting.

This is clearly excellent news for the project and the commercial agreements we have in place.

I will revert with more news on the operator and other commercial occupiers in due course.

Further to this good news we are now pushing forward the project as quickly as possible with a view to making a start on site in 2010. More soon.

Otherwise may I thank everyone who supported the project.

Good luck! Very glad to hear this. Dont forget about us with updates when the building period kicks in!

Indeed, you could take a look at your next door neighbours at the canoe slalom for tips on what seems to me to be a pretty well run online development diary. Dont hold back on the webcams!

http://www.cardiffcanoeslalom.com/index.html

Congratulations, Christopher. Tremendous news!

Yay! Great news. I hope discussions with the hotel operator are going well and are concluded shortly. This is the stage where many a project in Cardiff has come unstuck.

After thinking it was inappropriate for a non-resident to write in about Bayscape I have now decided that this was silly. I have written about Waterhall to both the council and the Assembly. The Assembly seems set to overturn the council's "100% Brownfield" development policy and it may include Waterhall as residential land on the LDP. I sincerely hope it does. Developments in the bay such as Bayscape are welcome and will be a great addition to the city but the city also needs to develop family housing in (well designed and sustainable) suburbs.

Great News Christopher! Congratulations!! - another important step closer to your spectacular development happening!! and many thanks for keeping us posted

Absolutely you should write in Cambo.

You are Welsh, educated and have a good view on this. Economic Development is also essential to attracting people such as yourself back in Cardiff. MP Adam Price will shortly be living in America for a year before standing as an AM in 2011. He'll be out of the country, but I doubt that will stop him commenting on the assembly!

Hi everyone,

See here:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/10/16/wales-may-be-on-the-up-if-plans-for-tower-go-ahead-91466-24943112/

and comment! I have. I despair at the likes of one of the commentors who bemoans the "ruin of Cardiff". Do these people want to see some sleepy slowly-dying faded industrial city?

Nice one cambo!! quality reply on wales online - I really can't even begin to understand why people could complain about this development and can only assume that they are the noisy 'what shall I moan about today' minority! in my eyes fools!!

I think the building shhould be discussed on its merits. Its banal to say that if it gets built Cardiff will have a completely wizzo future, and if it doesn't then Cardiff will become some industrial decaying dump.

I think beauty and quality is much more important than height. Sadly, soome of the towers people have wetted themmselves over recently are now beginning look embarrassing.

I didn't say anything of the sorts Urbano. I discussed the building in its context and then criticised a view expressed about "Cardiff being ruined" which seemed to be about much more than just this development. If all of the "modern" developments had been prevented I think it is fair to say the city would have done much worse economically.

Hmmmm

I think the discussion around this project has been very much about its beauty and quality. People are enthusiastic about it because it’s a very well conceived project which interacts effectively with its environment and which we will all be able to make use of once its built, not to mention a quality of design and finish which puts anything put up recently in Cardiff by the volume housebuilders to shame – and I don’t make the distinction between high and low rise here. Of course people are enthusiastic about the height as well, but that doesn’t change the fact that the development (note – not just the tower) also stands up perfectly well on merit using more ‘objective’ criteria.

absolutely spot on DaiB, whereas the tower bit is exciting, peopel really need to understand that having seen the rpesentation, we have sen first hand the development as a whole, and how it fits nicely with its environs.

good news about planning, lets hope the naysayers simply fade away. One thing I do know is that Chris has done his research way in advance regarding traffic, environmental impact, wind effects etc etc. The design is also using concepts never seen around these parts before. if/when this gets built, it will put the nationals to shame by some margin. The council should support this entirely in a hope to benchmark future developments - both low and high rise - across the Bay and the wider city.

Walesonline reader comments, though sometimes entertaining in their kookiness, are more often than not best ignored. Usual "speaking up for the silent majority" bollocks.

The sniping by these dinosaurs is almost always drowned out by the "ooorr, there's luvleee" in the end.

Some of the replies to the Wales Online article are "yellow nosing" it a bit me thinks, mentioning no names.

Zach,
Do you know that the website link on your posting isn't working? Has zach.com ever been up and running or does it not actually exist?

zach.com?

four letter dot com you are joking, aren't you?

ps my real name isn't Zach either!

You brown-nose when you want something. When you genuinely like something and want to support it - well, then you're description isn't really accurate is it?

I don't think its brown nosing. For goodness sake, its just stating opinion, based on the fact that you've met someone, making said opinion all the more valid.

Zach
zach.com?

ps my real name isn't Zach either!

My real name isn't wizard either!

I heard a rumour that karls real name is kyle and that kyles real name is karl.

Anyway, Bayscape is great! A great addition to south wales commonwealth games bid.

No, I am definitely me....wait, I meant Kyle.

I've been away for a week and there seems to be some good news around with Bayscape getting approved (congratulations Christopher) and a letting at Assembly Square.

http://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/4694521.Cautious_welcome_for_Wales__tallest_building/?ref=mr

The Penarth Residents are happy with the scheme , should of put an application in for 157 meters!!

Bloody hell. I'm gonna get my binoculars out to spot those flying pigs.

Nice one Alwyn. And I'd say there IS a lot on offer for the surrounding area from this development, and it's pleasing to see the locals have recognised this.

All,

I can confirm that the agreement with the Hotel operator has now been signed. We will however be making the formal annoucement during the first working week in January (not before) as we do not want the message lost in Christmas.

I'll post the release here but it is in anycase being discussed with the press.

We will likely also release info. on chosen contractor in Jan / Feb also.

That's fantastic news Christopher - Congratulations!! and I'm well chuffed that your fantastic project is coming to reality! I personally can't wait! and for what it's worth can't imagine your quality, ambitious plans being anything but a complete success - cheers!!

oh and thanks for keeping cardiffwalesmap posted - any chance of an invite to the topping out ceremony?

Congratulations Christopher...I look forward to the announcement !

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM