CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Bayscape

Great news Christopher. This looks like a step up in developments that have taken place in Cardiff. Perhaps this may be the catalyst for others to recognise the city's potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing this under construction. Any idea of start dates?

Sounds like a real coup for the city. Well done Christopher.

Forum night out in the restaurant in 2013 anyone?

Brilliant news!! (also very cool that we were already expecting it here!!) When this is built it will be an asset that Cardiff will be proud of for very many years. Surely this announcement is a massive tipping point for the world famous ISV!! Bring on the ski slope and a proper arena for the devils!. It won't be too long before the decision to have a toy shop/unit in the middle of everything will look very strange Anyway regarding Bayscape.. can't wait for construction now!!

Congratulatons Christopher, that is a real coup for the city.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop.

Phew.. the cat's out the bag!

I think this is a real coup for the city - and shows that with the right kind of marketing, organisation, and drive, our city has the potential to attract world-class operators. Bayscape really does represent a step-change in the quality of development we have seen in the bay to date. The hotel will offer another choice for high-spending visitors, the conference and events facilities look to be very significant, and the 24th floor bar/restaurant promises to offer stunning views. I really can't wait to have a dinner or drinks there and if we're still chatting about development then I think its a great idea to all meet up there for a few drinks! Couple on the house, eh? lol

Anyway - congratulations to Chris. I very much look forward to hearing about the other operators you have lined up to take space in the commercial units. I look forward to the ground breaking on the project too as whilst I have full confidence on your ability to deliver, it would be a concrete(!) sign that this exciting vision is becoming reality.

This is fantastic news to come back to - well done Christopher.

I was fortunate enough to stay in the Wyndham Chicago last week - little did I know that Cardiff would soon be having one as well!

Thank you all for your feedback. I am glad you are pleased with the selection.

Cardiff Ian - what was the Wyndham experience like in Chicago?

Great news to read this morning. Can't wait to see it emerge over the Cardiff skyline.

Christopher
Thank you all for your feedback. I am glad you are pleased with the selection.

Cardiff Ian - what was the Wyndham experience like in Chicago?

It was great Chris - I initially picked it based on positive reviews on the internet and it lived up to expectations. Central location, knowledgeable staff and reasonably priced!

Great news.

I think like the vast majority of people in Cardiff, I wish this development all the best.

It's worth noting the positive article in the Echo too

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2010/03/23/things-are-looking-up-for-the-bay-91466-26088402/

I see Rodders missed a trick there, he did not manage to get the words: superlative, world class or major euroepan destination into that article at all.

I remember Christophers presentation very well. This is only one aspect of a well thought out development. New features such as the car park with its computer controlled space allocatuion system will take this to a whole new level. the public squares being created and the option to develop land further into the ISV will mean that this part of the ISV will surely live up to the council's expectations.

NB on a side note, good to see the additiional marina berths fill up, along with increased use of the stacking storage system at the Marine Village. This obviously bodes well for future projets

Christopher
...a 5 star Travel Lodge perhaps!

Brilliant clue Christopher since Wyndham run the Travelodge chain in the US and none of us picked up on it!

Anyway fantastic news as your scheme looks very well designed with plenty of interest. I like the idea of a water taxi personally think that would be quite a draw. Just make sure that Andy Powell does not get his mits on it when he is looking for a Burger King.

Cambo_David
At the presentation to FCCY 18 months ago, Chris talked about the possibility of doing something across the road, between the Bayscape site and the area Toys r us store. Indicative proposals were for an area for lower-rise housing aimed at perhaps a slightly lower price point and to be attractive to families with a community facility and a couple more small commercial units. This meant the prospect of town-housing as well low-mid rise apartments.

Does this mean that there are going to be houses/ townhouses there too? There were proposals to build houses where the Bay Pointe development was going to be but it's gone quiet on the town house front since. Does anyone know anything? If anyone knows any details grateful if you'd let me know.
Christopher/ anyone?

Blondie
Cambo_David
At the presentation to FCCY 18 months ago, Chris talked about the possibility of doing something across the road, between the Bayscape site and the area Toys r us store. Indicative proposals were for an area for lower-rise housing aimed at perhaps a slightly lower price point and to be attractive to families with a community facility and a couple more small commercial units. This meant the prospect of town-housing as well low-mid rise apartments.

Does this mean that there are going to be houses/ townhouses there too? There were proposals to build houses where the Bay Pointe development was going to be but it's gone quiet on the town house front since. Does anyone know anything? If anyone knows any details grateful if you'd let me know.
Christopher/ anyone?

Cardiff Marine Group's (Christophers business) additional land is more ino the 'hinterland' so to speak, moving away from the Ely river northwards in the direction of Morrison's.

The Bay Pointe development was initially going to be a development of towers but the recession/credit crunch put paid to that. instead the developers (Atkins) have decided to build townhouses. I bet we'll end up more akin to Cenury Wharf with some town houses and soem mid rises rather than towers. which is s shame as it means less density so ultimately we'll have to build on green land sooner.

There is a wonderful rant on the WalesOnline website story about this - I have copied it below. Fortunately Cambo David has given an eloquent response online!

Leeroy wrote:
An American company again...
I can`t believe Wales is allowing these monsters to be built here...
We are NOT USA.. nothing but monsters there...
Be careful we won`t be turned into the mini America..
Swansea has a monster, spoilt everything.
Even views from the Marriot......
We weren`t even asked it was passeded so quickly......
CARDIFF IS WELCOME TO HAVE THE TALLEST BUILDING IN wALES.....UNTIL?????WHO WILL BE NEXT???

I do love listening to a good spliffed out line of debate. He could have been on Week In Week Out last night!

I read those online comments and I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I'm comforted by the fact that there are a core of about 5 constant posters who trot out the same old crap time and time again. Most of them tend to drag any story - man loses hat on bus for example - into a diatribe against their personal dislikes

eg. It's no wonder men are losing hats on buses when they are confused by the pointless gobbledigook Welsh signs plastered all over the place by Cardiff Bus (or Cardiff Bws - what a farce!) at considerable cost to taxpayers etc etc

Karl
I read those online comments and I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I'm comforted by the fact that there are a core of about 5 constant posters who trot out the same old crap time and time again. Most of them tend to drag any story - man loses hat on bus for example - into a diatribe against their personal dislikes

eg. It's no wonder men are losing hats on buses when they are confused by the pointless gobbledigook Welsh signs plastered all over the place by Cardiff Bus (or Cardiff Bws - what a farce!) at considerable cost to taxpayers etc etc

Thank god for the quality of the postings on this forum eh!! walesonline tuh!! bloody upstarts!!!

Karl

I surprised one of their regular erm... correspondents didn't manage to link it to asylum seekers somehow.

I almost had a rant back at him but Cambo already covered it. Mine would have been dealt with by a moderator I think.

what's a moderator!!!

A snippet from the press:

Wyndham

Wonder who this international bar/hotel operator is? Perhaps its worth looking at the Chelsea Harbour website...

I wonder how many WM readersw will understand the references to debt to equity ratios!

It's in the business section of the WM

to be honest Dai i don't think they need to. all they need to know is Chris is delivering a top notch project many years in the planning.

I can't wait for this to start, perhaps Chris will invite us all over to see the first sod being cut..

here's hoping

Jantra
to be honest Dai i don't think they need to. all they need to know is Chris is delivering a top notch project many years in the planning.

I can't wait for this to start, perhaps Chris will invite us all over to see the first sod being cut..

here's hoping

heh Jantra reach for the stars.. first sod being cut AND the topping out ceremony!!! - now we're people that would really appreciate that topping out business

From 2 days ago, dont know if you've read this :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2010/05/05/international-name-set-to-be-highlight-of-bay-hotel-91466-26377450/
:)

McDonalds?

...or IHOP perhaps

Maybe, the shade of blue looks ok and you have the 'IHOP' smile.
Or is this another cryptic clue?

It has to be "Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar", no I don't think so either.

I think given Bayscape's proximity to the International Sports Village, the International Pool and the International White centre, International House of Pancakes would be perfectly appropriate...!

Just wondering if there is any news on other operators who will be taking space at Bayscape or whether we have any more details about when we can expect to see some activity on site.

Can't let this one slip too far down the page - with the opening of the white water centre and pont-y-werin, Bayscape is the next development we very much look forward to at ISV WESTSIDE!! any news... ok I admit it, I'm hoping Christopher is looking in to give us the inside on the latest, maybe a date, a month

Hi All,

Logged on for the first time in a while and picked this up! We will be making an announcement next in early August. All is very much on track.

Christopher
Hi All,

Logged on for the first time in a while and picked this up! We will be making an announcement next in early August. All is very much on track.

Cheers Christopher - this all sounds very positive and I can't wait for the announcement!! I must say you've got some pretty impressive boats using the marina nowadays - the scene is set for Bayscape!!

We will be making an announcement next in early August. All is very much on track.

Or possibly not....

Anyway no one makes announcements in August, unless its income tax up to 25% or Nationwide charging for cash with-drawls!

Well deal to be announced was agreed last Monday 23rd August. Guess the completion was a week or so late. Sorry. I will avoid giving heads up on milestones in future.

Chris, I don't think it was a criticism meant to be taken personally. We understand that these schedules usually slip and really appreciate you letting us know when to expect announcements. Yes, we can get a little frustrated when the announcements don't come when expected but thats par for the course.

If the agreement has been signed does that mean an announcement shall be soon forthcoming?

Wow they finished it quickly!

Is Christopher living in the winnebago?

this is a good sign!! still looking forward to start date details etc. but nevertheless things are looking on track - great stuff

Yes....more banners going up around other boundaries shortly. Brief update:

- We have now finaly selected our contractor (changed from Vinci) and there will be a press release shortly.
- We are in the process of discharging pre-commencement conditions with a view to starting asap (probably Q1 2011)
- New CGIs and renders will be available in the next 10 days
- A new and more sophisticated model has been instructed
- An information suite will open in the modular (grey building) currently at the north west corner of the site...so everyone will be able to come and see the latest
- A limited number of the apartments will be available for reservation. They will be like no other so far built in Cardiff
- The modular building will be craned to the immediate north of the site once works starts
- Skybar operator still to be announced. I do not think you will be disappointed when it is.
- Marina and access will remain clean, tidy and fully operational throughout build with plentiful car parking provided.

Sounds great Christopher. Is the completion date still the same?

We are trying our best to keep the completion date as tight as possible. The construction programme currently throws forward a completion in H1 2013 (slightly more than a 24 month build). We are keen to progress but will not compromise on design or quality. Hopefully you will see this in the new imagery due soon.

Thought this snip of info. may be of interest:

http://www.cardiffmarinegroup.com/news/19

...more coming soon

Best of luck!

More on Bayscape

http://www.cardiffmarinegroup.com/news/20

Note too we will have more commercial announcements as well as new imagery in the coming weeks. An information suite will open at the Marina in October. Information on the residential apartments will also be available (purchase opportunities will regretably be limited)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM