Don't give up hope, it may still happen, especially if the ISV takes off in the way it has been suggested. It would seem to be an opportunity for someone to open a hotel there, so why not this one?
(Super optimism, glass half full, more donut than hole mode well and truly ON)
Well something will happen to the site at some stage. It's the economy, stupid - or rather it's the stupid Chancelor!
Jantra - So quick to blame the Welsh Government for the mess of the Welsh economy yet blames the Eurozone for Britain's poor perfomance. Dalier ati!
I blame the tectonic plates. We could be part of China now.
Tell me, Jantra. What exactly is their remit? They have very limited power. Let's face it, devolution was a token gesture for a token part of the UK. We have sunk because of actions decided in London, not Cardiff Bay. That is something that you cannot deny.
to bring this thread back on topic, we have seen some interesting proposals for the other side of the ferry road site which would compliment this proposal very much in terms or architectural style and quality. Most of us appreciate these projects take time at the best of times, so delays due to the economic situation we've had for the past 4/5 years just exacerbates this.
Perhaps Christopher could give us an update regarding this project. I know I'm really keen to find out what is going on.
We will be making a full press announcement in the coming few weeks on the Bayscape project (actually a series of announcements). As previously outlined we were waiting for Q3 indicators before moving the project forward. Generally I am reluctant to say much on this forum. Notes follow (though I am not willing to add detail):
- The project is fully funded via a far eastern structure (this has been in place for some 9 months). Our funders will join us in Cardiff for the formal announcements.
- We have changed contractor (taking advantage of the evolving market) and again annoucements will be forthcoming
- The various conditions in the planning permissions will start to be discharged over the next 5 months
- The project will be delivered in two steps. Step 1 is programmed to commence in April 2013 (once planning conditions have been discharged)
- Apartments in the residential spaces will be offered for sale during 2013
- Our view on timing and the economic cycle remains. As previously stated we feel that by having waited until Q3 / Q4 2012 we are able to combine attractive construction costs with a more steady market and one that will improve (we hope) over the two year build cycle.
As I said, formal press announcements will be forthcoming soon and these will provide more details.
Great news. Thanks for indulging us on this forum. I know we can be a pesky lot at times!
thanks for the update, it is appreciated. good things come to those that wait.
I will only believe it when I see it fully built!
Does A Cardiff Wales forum alarm go off in Bayscape HQ when there is a post on this topic?
Last Post September
2nd Nov 09:04 Jantra Posts...
2nd Nov 09:35 Christopher replies??
I wish George Osbourne would take such an interest in some of the moneysaving expert forums
Yeah i think it is possible to have email alerts when someone replies to a thread you have commented on.
Aug 30, 2009
hey christopher when (note the tense) your tower is constructed your first guest at the 26th floor rstaurant needs to be zach - the menu: triple serving of humble pie!!
Nothing wrong with that Zach, seems like Christopher is just making sure the timing is right. Look at the development at the end of west bute street - mothballed. There is no point in building if the market isn't ready to buy.
I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but we are not really privy to what is going on and as Christopher has other business interests in the area, it's not really good business practice to keep spinning yarns. I think the project is where Christopher says its at, ready to go but just waiting for the right time to deliver. Look at capital quarter, that must be taking up a lot of cash for jr smart. That sort of cash outflow can make or break a project
For interest as the observant will see anyway:
- You will likely see some testing rigs on the Bayscape site over the coming weeks
- Discharge of planning conditions is now proceeding
We do have a start date now defined
Heh Christopher, on this miserable miserable wet tuesday - That's really cheered me up!!! thanks for sharing
As the nearest person we've got as a moderator on this forum I feel at this stage it is essential that I interject to say my piece........ FIGHT!!!
Excellent news Christopher, and thanks for letting us know.
I luvs the Bayscape thread I do. It be a constan companion in this every changen wourld.
At least there is something happening in this thread which is more than can be said of the 'building site' (I use those words advisedly!?)
I've just had a nice cup of tea and a welsh cake. Has something been happening here?
If Paul's willing to put a bullshit icon on the threads that you post on but don't add any information then I'll happily ignore them (my icon suggestion would be a handbag). Unfortunately as it is I have to click through and get disappointed.
I have not posted on this for ages. I have NEVER posted other than under URBANO.
I do follow the forum. And I've beeen tempted to post on several oocasions, mainly to defend you, in fact. I cannot understand how anyone could conceivably think that strong views robustly expressed could ever be out of place on a forum like this.
I'm very disappointed , Jantra, that you could ever have confused me with Mr Appeasment. I think Mr Appeasment migth be advised to take out a big hanky, blow on it, then wave it about and announce "Truce in our time".
you are quite correct - and that was my way of apologising
No problem, Jantra. I always enjoy (but don't always agree with )your posts. I think I must be going through a mellow phase.
Cut it out you two,you'll have me crying!
- Final stage site investigation work is ongoing / underway
- Vegetation clearance (across all site areas) will commence now
- Detailed design and discharge of conditions underway with Council Development Control. Massing under current permissions is not significantly altered
- Some residential areas will be available for sale in the next quarter
- Residential will be higher spec than std. Larger apartment, higher ceilings etc.
- Construction programmed to commence in June / July 2013. Willmott Dixon are to construct (a change on previous).
- We are now satisfied on timing re. the economic cycle
I am only prepared to point to information already in the public domain these days given the tone of posters here. The energetic amongst you will no doubt obtain revised drawings and see contractors on site.
Nice one Christopher!! can't wait for this one!
oh and in cardiff construction terms a commencement date of june/july is tomorrow!!!
also seeing that christopher and team are somewhat more 'in the know' than us lot, to me this suggests that plenty of the much talked about projects in this neck of the woods could well be looking like certainties. Perhaps that peninsular will looking very busy 1yr from now.
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM