CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
Re: Bayscape

aah some good high rise news at last!

Great news!

Give us a clue? First letter? Sounds like?

Two words...

First word; rhymes with Gavel.

Second word; rhymes with Dodge.

Good luck with the next stage of development. I think that this is great news for Cardiff and the wider area.

...a 5 star Travel Lodge perhaps!

Rooms for £9 a night, Easter 2011, then Christopher?

Ok that's christmas / new year done!! looking for some positive news in this direction soon? actually if this proceeds then in my opinion this development will be one of the most significant development to have happened to cardiff, and I'm talking of st davids 2, millennium stadium, barrage, go on I'll chuck the castle in as well - scale!! and I didn't even think that when they were originally due to proceed with that wood st farce!!! speaking of which I wonder when we'll hear new plans for that area, sorry this is about Bayscape - what's occuring chris

Indeed. I hope Chris makes some announcement soon as the scheme has quite surpassed itself in obtaining a very high quality hotel for Cardiff.

My bet is on an annoucement this Wednesday in the business section of the WM.

I hope it's that soon anyway !

Legal agreements have been signed and we are working on a release with the hotel operator. Feeling at present is announcement is more liklely to be towards the end of the month. Everything is otherwise moving forward and we are now advacing detailed planning adjustments per the operator's internal specs. Normal stuff really. 2010 will be an important year for the project!

Thanks for keeping us updated Chris.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the announcement and seeing the project hopefully starting construction at some point this year or early next year.

I'm sure we'd know if there was but nevertheless I have to ask the question.... Any News?

I emailed Chris just over a week ago. He said "in the next few weeks, these things take time". Now, I remain of the belief that Chris is a good businessman that has the resources and commitment to bring this project forward. But sometimes there is a gap between when things are "supposed" to occur and when they actually do.

I know the hotel operator is confirmed - and its a good un by all accounts. But I think the scheme is a fair bit more complicated than others put forward by Chris before (even if his total portfolio is more sizeable) and hence things may go slower than we initially hoped.

I looked on the Bayscape web site and saw this:

The hotel will be managed by a 5 star international operator and a formal announcement will be made before the end of the year.

It's always worrying when you can't figure out which year they mean, I will be kind and say things like this take time but so does launching a new low cost airline from Cardiff!

Zach
I looked on the Bayscape web site and saw this:
The hotel will be managed by a 5 star international operator and a formal announcement will be made before the end of the year.

It's always worrying when you can't figure out which year they mean, I will be kind and say things like this take time but so does launching a new low cost airline from Cardiff!

and tall sharp glass structures by the side of the taff!!

Everything is fine guys. We have delayed announcement until March but otherwise we have continued to advance detail (internal specifications etc) per programme.

We have also now selected the contractor for build and this too I expect to communicate soon.

lol you're killing me here, Chris. May I ask if contracts have been exchanged (i.e. is it definitely confirmed) or is that you want to firm up the specific plans before announcing them (e.g. to avoid any embarrassment from cutting the number of rooms, etc)

For info. the official announcement on the hotel operator and probably award of construction contractor will be made on 23rd March (with filming on 22nd March).

Project plan remains on track with commencement in 2010 still.

Zach...I would like to invite you to break ground on this project when we start if I may. Do you have a spade?

Help Needed!

I believe the main tower of the Bayscape scheme will be the tallest building in Wales. Can someone confirm that it is also the tallest "hotel only" tower in the UK? A useful bit of trivia for me if so. Thank you,

I've started a thread on Skyscraper City to try and find out.

Good news Christopher.

Christopher
For info. the official announcement on the hotel operator and probably award of construction contractor will be made on 23rd March (with filming on 22nd March).

Project plan remains on track with commencement in 2010 still.

Zach...I would like to invite you to break ground on this project when we start if I may. Do you have a spade?

Great news Christopher. Just promise me it is not Britannia Hotels!

It is not Britannia Hotels. I am sure people will be pleasantly surprised when they hear who Cardiff can look forward to welcoming. Lets have some faith in Chris!

nice one christopher!! this is fantastic news!!

Phew!

Things are shifting up a gear in the much maligned ISV. The white water centre, the pool, talk of a new ice arena, the snow box back on the agenda and now this. It would seem that it is getting there.

Has anyone heard the rumour about a new indoor tennis centre going down there? I was told it would be the strip of land between Toys R Us and the Cogan Spur. I had presumed that this was earmarked for retail but the guy I was talking to was fairly adamant.

Personally i think its an IHG hotel

Premier Inn is out so it has to be Travelodge. Be nice to have one that side of Cardiff.

hehe, I think some photogenic model would be more to the medias' liking.

I did have a 'Media Spade' bought for a very large project.
Some of the said media turned up, ate and drank what was on offer, they were however very dissapointed it was just a field (what did they expect FGS?) and left before the CEO did his bit and got some shots.
Top tip Christopher, don't wine and dine them till' you get the publicity photos you want, they always have an excuse that they have to be elsewhere.

My monies on...

http://www.swissotel.com/EN/Destinations/Wales/Swissotel+Bayscape/HOTEL+HOME/Hotel+Home.htm

Interesting suggestion. They have been mentioned previously by Christopher.

Christopher. When you announce the hotel operator and construction company, is it likely you will be able to confirm any operators of the other units. How many other units are there altogether and is the proposed tenant mix still along the lines discussed at Forward Cardiff way back 18 months ago?

The operator will be in the public domain on Tuesday. I'm hoping its as impressive as the operators other developments around the world - and there aren't that many of them so it is quite a coup!

Sorry to put a dampner on things, but is this the sort of development we really need? I thought the whole high-rise market was in frefall. Probably because families would prefer a house with a garden.

Frank, I think you are fairly new here so I'll forgive you for not being on top of the details of this project. Some of us here were attended a special presentation by the developer of his plans when FCCY was still running so have followed it quite assidiously.

Anyway...

1) The residential element is pretty small and is set to be quite niche. All in all about 104 apartments in 2 mid-rise blocks up to 10 stories tall. They will be aimed very heavily at the owner occupier market and will probably be at the higher end of the market and the early plans (not sure if this is still current) had some quite interesting and unique features allowing residents to easily remodel the internal layout of their rooms. The residential component is the potential weak link but I think there is a market for high quality bayside living. I think we will continue to see the development of smaller schemes in the bay. Its the mega-schemes like Bay Pointe, Havannah Quay, Roath Basin Southside etc that will have disappeared. Even at the height of the downturn there was still development - just at a much slower rate.

2) The high rise element is a hotel that has secured an operator and that is due to be announced next Tuesday.

Joe Public seems to think the economy is some kind of stop-go contraption. In a boom its "all go" and in a recession its "all stop". Its not like that. A recession is a decline in activity, not a cessation of activity.

We're not going to get back to the 2004-08 period when there were several large schemes in the bay all on the go at the same time. But we will see smaller, more niche schemes come through. And I think this scheme has a lot to offer.

I believe there was a fair amount of disquiet amongst the local community when some of the big projects for the Bay were under consideration. I'm not sure from an aesthetic point of view whether one tall building dominating the Bay skyline is what we need. A lot of regional cities seem to be falling for the current hise-rise fad - Manchester, Leeds etc. Rodney Bernam thinks it will give a more 'International City' feeling. Is this what we want?

I agree high rise development should not be "for the sake of it". But If you look at the plans for the development you'll see that the hotel tower works well with the various mid-rise buildings in Victoria Quay, Prospect Place, and probable mid-rises for the Bay Pointe site. Also, if built to plans - as I trust it will be - it will be of very high quality unto itself. Have a look through the debates on here, on Skyscrapercity etc, take a look at the plans. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I think its hard to deny that this is a very high quality scheme that will look striking.

I'm really looking forward to next week for confirmation that this development is happening. Even though the buildings that surropund it will not be tall by comparison I think they will stop the tower from looking to 'stand alone' also from the plans we've seen it can afford to stick out somewhat as I think we'll feel very proud to have this building in cardiff. Reckon this is going to do wonders for this, until now, somewhat dissapointing peninsula, Next week the future will be a whole lot brighter with the bayscape announcement and the whitewater centre opening!! hapy days!! hopefully

Frank
I believe there was a fair amount of disquiet amongst the local community when some of the big projects for the Bay were under consideration. I'm not sure from an aesthetic point of view whether one tall building dominating the Bay skyline is what we need. A lot of regional cities seem to be falling for the current hise-rise fad - Manchester, Leeds etc. Rodney Bernam thinks it will give a more 'International City' feeling. Is this what we want?

There is always naturally some disquiet when any change happens, and rarely more so than a tall building. However, I am almost certain (having seen the documents in question) that as many if not more letters of support were received than objections. Most people recognise that this development could take the bay to the next level, and thats important.

All,

Press releases will be published on Tuesday morning at:

http://www.cardiffmarinegroup.com/latest_news

There will also be a release from the hotel company.

Details of contractor partner will also be released.

Great news Christopher. Looking forward to it!

I second the above!

I can't wait for the announcement !

I'm so excited for this announcement!

Not wanting to get too carried away but this is the best news on the tall building front that Cardiff / Wales has EVER had!! Well done Christopher! I hope your belief in Cardiff will be rewarded with total success throughout this project and beyond - roll on tuesday!!!

Looking forward to hearing who the hotel operator is! What is the time-scale of construction?

If the project does will (which I am sure it will) would you consider any others in the area?

At the presentation to FCCY 18 months ago, Chris talked about the possibility of doing something across the road, between the Bayscape site and the area Toys r us store. Indicative proposals were for an area for lower-rise housing aimed at perhaps a slightly lower price point and to be attractive to families with a community facility and a couple more small commercial units. This meant the prospect of town-housing as well low-mid rise apartments.

CF23 - Other Projects are on the planning board...give me a few months and we will release info. on these too.

Cambo-David - you have an excellent memory...but if I remember you are rather bright aren't you!

Wizard - did I read somewhere you were not called Wizard? I'm sure that Zach is double bluffing though.

The pace with the Bayscape scheme will doubtless pick up now...target remains to commence this year.

..and more seriously. We are very proud of the operator and direction of the Bayscape scheme. I would be very interested to learn what you think once it is announced. My view is it is world class.

Cambo rather bright?
Me not called Wizard?
Zach double bluffing?

You're right on at least two counts (that I know of).

Hello,

More press announcement details will be on the Cardiff Marine Group Website. Headlines are:

Hotel will be a flagship Wyndham brand hotel and the second in the UK outside Chelsea Harbour London in the UK.

See: http://www.wyndham.com/main.wnt?cid=WYWYNWW

The hotel will be managed through a company part owned by Wyndham called CHI

See: http://www.corinthiahotels.com/

We will be partnering with Vinci PLC to commence build in 2010

See: http://www.vinci.plc.uk/

Wyndham Official release follows. (others on website later this morning),

Newest Hotel in Welsh Capital Will Join Wyndham Hotels and Resorts Brand

PARSIPPANY, N.J. (March 23, 2010) – Wyndham Hotel Group, the world’s largest hotel company with more than 7,100 hotels and 11 brands, today announced an agreement with CHI Hotels & Resorts of Malta, its joint-venture management partner in EMEA, to operate a new, 200-room upscale hotel to be constructed along the waterfront in Cardiff, the capital of Wales.
The £60 million Wyndham Cardiff hotel, now under development by Bayscape Limited, a privately owned development company led by Christopher Odling-Smee and Drew McDonald, is expected to open during the spring of 2013. Once completed, the 32-story, 127-metre-high structure will be the tallest hotel in Wales.
The hotel will feature 3,600 square metres of function space, 200 rooms and 35 serviced apartments, an indoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, fitness centre, spa, two restaurants and three bars including a health bar, café and signature bar and restaurant on the 24th and 25th floors that will provide panoramic views of the bay and the city. The site is adjacent to Cardiff Marine Group’s 350-berth marina in the heart of the International Sports Village.
The project also will include 100 residential units, shops, offices and businesses, many of which will overlook the marina and the adjacent Cardiff International White Water (CIWW) centre that opens this week. The project will connect with the Pont y Werin footbridge and link with a 10.5k-meter circuit of the bay edge walkway.
Jeff Wagoner, president of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, noted that this will be the third Wyndham® branded hotel in Europe, joining the brand’s Wyndham Grand London Chelsea Harbour in London and Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

“This magnificent project in a prime location demonstrates our ability to provide the right hotel solutions for our partners,” he said. “The strength of the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts brand, coupled with the management expertise of CHI, will result in world-class service and accommodations for the growing business and leisure market in Cardiff.”
The Wyndham Hotel Group portfolio in Europe now includes 234 hotels that span the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®, Days Inn®, Howard Johnson®, Ramada®, Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham® and Wyndham-affiliated Corinthia® brands.
Chris Odling-Smee, said the hotel development will complete the work started with Cardiff Marina and Cardiff Marine Village by diversifying the land use alongside other Bayscape projects to provide the city with a dynamic, mixed-use space.
“The Wyndham Cardiff property will be a leading destination in the bay designed to complement the marina’s facilities, neighboring white-water rafting and canoe centre as well as the International Sports Village as a whole,” he said. We are delighted to join the growing Wyndham family and to bring high-end accommodations to this burgeoning city.”
Cardiff, the largest and most populous city in Wales, is a commercial centre and base for national cultural and sporting institutions, the Welsh news media and National Assembly. It also is the most popular tourism destination in Wales, attracting 11.7 million visitors in 2009.

The Wyndham Cardiff hotel will offer guests private river bus rides to the city centre and will be a 10-minute drive from Millennium Stadium, St. David’s shopping center, the financial district of Callaghan Square, the Welsh Assembly, Mermaid Quay and the Millennium Centre.

Hotel guests will be able to take advantage of the Wyndham brand’s guest recognition program, Wyndham ByRequest, which offers complimentary benefits including free high-speed Internet access, choice of welcome snack and beverage, preferred pillow type, express check-in, guaranteed late check-out, local and long-distance calls, best available room upon arrival, photocopies, faxes and online receipts.

Members also earn Wyndham Rewards® points, which can be redeemed for free hotel stays, airline tickets, name-brand merchandise and dining and shopping gift cards, among other options. In lieu of points, members may elect to earn airline or rail miles with a variety of carriers. More information is available at www.wyndhamrewards.com.

Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, LLC and its affiliates, subsidiaries of Wyndham Worldwide Corporation (NYSE: WYN), offer upscale hotel and resort accommodations throughout the United States, Europe, Canada, Mexico, China and the Caribbean. All Wyndham hotels are either franchised or managed by the company or managed through a joint-venture partner. Additional information and reservations for all Wyndham hotels are available by calling (800) WYNDHAM -- (800) 996-3426 -- or visiting www.wyndham.com.
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts is part of Wyndham Hotel Group’s family of brands. The Hotel Group is one of three business units within Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE: WYN) and encompasses more than 7,100 hotels and 597,000 rooms in 67 countries under the hotel brands: Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®, Ramada®, Days Inn®, Super 8®, Wingate® by Wyndham, Baymont Inn & Suites®, Microtel Inns & Suites®, Hawthorn Suites® by Wyndham, Howard Johnson®, Travelodge® (USA and Canada only) and Knights Inn®. Wyndham Hotel Group is based in Parsippany, N.J. with offices around the globe including Hammersmith in the U.K. Additional information is available at www.wyndhamworldwide.com.

CHI Hotels & Resorts is a leading hotel management company that provides a full range of technical assistance and management services to hotel owners worldwide. CHI is the exclusive operator and developer of the luxury Corinthia Hotels brand and the exclusive operator of the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts and Ramada Plaza brands in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
# # #

Paul Donlon
Director, Four Communications
48 Leicester Square, London WC2H 7FG
+44 (0)870 626 9917
paul.donlon@fourcommunications.com
Evy Apostolatos
Director, Media Relations
Wyndham Hotel Group
22 Sylvan Way
Parsippany NJ 07054
(973) 753-6590
evy.apostolatos@wyndhamworldwide.com

splendid, truly splendid

I'm now looking forward to this more than ever. Definitely a result for Cardiff.

Well done Christopher, keep up the sterling work

NB will non residents be able to use the fitness centre? I'd would be great to have an office there, walk along the marina in the morning, go the fitness centre, then grab a danish and latte before work

Top banana.

I had been wondering about which hotel you would be announcing. I hadn't considered that it would be Corinthia hotels. I stayed in their Budapest hotel 3 years ago, and it was literally a total stunner. It was the smartest hotel that I've ever stayed at ( no smart assed replies to that please ).

Without wishing to sound sycophantic, if the finished project is anything like that, then, to coin a phrase, this project will indeed be world class.

In short, excellent news.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM